Today is World Backup Day

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
One of the most important,cost effective($Free)and easiest tasks you can perform to protect yourself.
I have always backed up data and my system and have never lost any data.
However I do like to do a clean install from time to time and then make a backup.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
One of the most important,cost effective($Free)and easiest tasks you can perform to protect yourself.
I have always backed up data and my system and have never lost any data.
However I do like to do a clean install from time to time and then make a backup.
Unfortunately, normal people don't seem to be able to do data backups even though it adds no overhead and is quite effective and efficient.

LASER_oneXM

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 4, 2016
i frequently making backups on several separate extrenal HDDs. Bought my first PC in the 1990's: never had any problems with my backup HDDs (or with floppy disks/CD-Rs in the 1990's :D ;) ). I'm also frequently checking my backup HDDs to prevent data loss: SMART tests, suface checks etc.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I lost a OS and all that was on it in the late 90's, no attack, no malware to blame it on.
I was tinkering in Win98 I think, I do remember I was messing around in the registry and
deleted what I thought was a software key that was no longer needed, I was wrong :p
Never made that mistake again, but it did motivate me to learn, it was the start of my
journey on the path of educated tinkering :) lol
Lucky for me it was stuff I could live without.

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
I have backups everywhere. My netbook, cloud, usb drive, WD external drive, CD/DVD. Just a few files, snippets, scripts. Some notes on old viruses that are no longer in circulation, doesn't mind losing them because they are already obsolete.

My netbook have an image backup (DriveImageXML)

Quassar

Level 12
Verified
Well-known
Feb 10, 2012
aurond 15 years ago when i was small kid i lose some saves from games.. wasn't important becasue i didnt play any more after finish once game.
But this situation gave me lesson for future now i have always backups in HDD and Pendrive importand enrypted and some non important on cloud storage.

Even if i wanna test new drivers i have clean BACUKP from 1st boots system with out drivers.
Cuz instalation 15-30 min while i can backup in 1 min on SSD its just simple save time.

generalwu

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 25, 2016
For me I don't mind losing my OS as my data is stored on a separate drive and is backed up to 2 different devices (One simple WD NAS and a USB Drive).

I try to follow the general backup rule (3-2-1) which is 3 Copies of the data, 2 separate backup devices and a off-site location. :cool:

Reactions: Handsome Recluse

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Backing up of data is one of my active routine and fortunately those hardware failures are not related to Hard Drive thus despite of old information taken from by external HDD, I can retrieve by enclosure.

All companies should undergone proper backup management scheme and do not rely fully on protection by software provided cause you will 3 important aspect: Time, Money and Effort

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Backing up of data is one of my active routine and fortunately those hardware failures are not related to Hard Drive thus despite of old information taken from by external HDD, I can retrieve by enclosure.

All companies should undergone proper backup management scheme and do not rely fully on protection by software provided cause you will 3 important aspect: Time, Money and Effort
Not just companies but all personnel machines should be backed up as well. ;)

Reactions: LASER_oneXM

jadinolf

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
Gone are the days for me losing data.
I use two different backup programs and have two external drives on each of my 5 computers.
Haven't needed to wipe the drives and start over since 2012.
Gives me a good feeling.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.