Not open for further replies.

FreddyFreeloader

Level 32
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 23, 2013
10.png
Got this on my Windows 7 machine and Windows 8.1 machine. Reserved.
Comes with the new Edge browser and a much improved built-in AV/Security system.

D

Deleted member 2913

So if you reserve it now & when it is available, how it will be delivered?

Reactions: Piteko21

soccer97

Level 11
Verified
May 22, 2014
My understanding is that they are not rolling it out to everyone all at once, so I'm sure everyone who is eligible and has the update will get the message within a few days.

Yes, selective release is generally best in case there are any last minute bugs/problems with the rollout before it reaches RTM stage of the SDL.

D

Deleted member 2913

Yes i think it is as you have download and install some files to prepare for the upgrade. But i am not 100% sure but that is what i did.
I meant when final will be released then it will be available to the eligible party & that sign-up is not required for that, right?

OokamiCreed

Level 18
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
May 8, 2015
Yes i think it is as you have download and install some files to prepare for the upgrade. But i am not 100% sure but that is what i did.

Well since Windows 7 gets this message and Windows 7 does not have a sign into Windows Live feature like 8 does, I believe this means that signing up for that has nothing to do with it. However I've been with that since day one. Using Preview on everything including Windows Phone and Xbox One.

Edit: Found a little info on a search.

"You may get a prompt even if you have the update installed. Other requirements, such as how up-to-date your Windows version is, your locale, language, and so on can impact whether you’re asked to reserve your copy. Furthermore, Microsoft is likely rolling these prompts out gradually as opposed to all at once, so sit tight if you’ve tried everything but don’t see it yet."

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/31/m...ers-to-reserve-their-free-windows-10-upgrade/

I'm not sure if Locale would actually do anything. My computer is on Japanese locale and the language is US English. I'd imagine it would really only rely on your language or even your place of living. They will probably target English speaking countries first. They didn't have too many languages when Windows 10 came out. Only about 5. English (US and UK), Chinese, Spanish, German, French, or something like that.

Last edited:

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Well since Windows 7 gets this message and Windows 7 does not have a sign into Windows Live feature like 8 does, I believe this means that signing up for that has nothing to do with it. However I've been with that since day one. Using Preview on everything including Windows Phone and Xbox One.

Edit: Found a little info on a search.

"You may get a prompt even if you have the update installed. Other requirements, such as how up-to-date your Windows version is, your locale, language, and so on can impact whether you’re asked to reserve your copy. Furthermore, Microsoft is likely rolling these prompts out gradually as opposed to all at once, so sit tight if you’ve tried everything but don’t see it yet."

Source: http://venturebeat.com/2015/05/31/m...ers-to-reserve-their-free-windows-10-upgrade/

I'm not sure if Locale would actually do anything. My computer is on Japanese locale and the language is US English. I'd imagine it would really only rely on your language or even your place of living. They will probably target English speaking countries first. They didn't have too many languages when Windows 10 came out. Only about 5. English (US and UK), Chinese, Spanish, German, French, or something like that.
I have three machines at my home and it only came up on this one so not sure.

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
I have three machines at my home and it only came up on this one so not sure.

Mine didn't show up until I restarted the computer and and attempted to check for windows updates.

It might not work for everyone because I don't know how microsoft is currently rolling it out.

Piteko21

Level 18
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 13, 2014
I reserved mine a few minutes ago, so excited;) just put my email to be informedwhen they release the official windows 10.

3GB of windows10 ;)

Oxygen

Level 44
Verified
Feb 23, 2014
Still no prompt on my laptop!
Maybe because I am running a pre-installed OEM version of W8.1.??
I did get a prompt on my desktop!!

I don't think that actually matters, if the license is genuine then you should be able to get it.

My Windows 7 Laptop is OEM and it received the notification.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Good to see the preparation window before its being launched. This helps users to save their data to download. I just saw my windows task bar with a Windows 10 Notification, and i am happy about this.
Win 10.PNG

And I have done this.
Win 10.4.PNG

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.