Troubleshoot Too Many Recovery Partitions

VirusAttak

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
Hello Mods and Tech Geeks ;)

I'm having too many recovery partitions it was not there before until i used a defrag Software from the maker of CClener ,now my question is can it be fixed some how ? and why I'm getting so many recovery partitions around 13 each takes 350MB ...there is also a recovery partition sized 20Gb i understand about it it has OS and other Drivers and softwares...

here is ScreenShot
Thank you ...
PS: I Apologize If Posted In wrong Section

Screenshot (1).png

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
You could easily "clean" them one by one via Diskpart if you want. I could list you the step to follow in order to proceed, or you could just host a join.me session and I'll do it for you, at your will. Done that plenty of time in the past.

Upvote 0

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
is it safe deleting them? Or I'll lose my Recovery ? @Aura

Unfortunately from what I can see, all these Recovery partitions are empty and therefore, are of no use. I would simply delete them as they're useless.
You could always create a new, proper one, after cleaning up these ones. Leave the first 3 Recovery partitions however. The two 260MBs and the 1.44GBs ones at the beginning of the list.

Reactions: Koroke San
Upvote 0

VirusAttak

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
If they are Empty where my Recovery Installed I know it is their in my HDD tell me how to create host Join me you can Fix it then :)
@Aura

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
If they are Empty where my Recovery Installed I know it is their in my HDD tell me how to create host Join me you can check Fix it then :)
@Aura

From what I can see, the last Recovery partition before your C: partition (the 22.XXGBs one) was most likely your real Recovery partition used for Factory Restore. Sadly. it seems to be empty (just look at the total size, free size and free % and you'll see by youself), hence it's useless to keep it so.

Upvote 0

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
Use other partition manager to do these things. Aomei, macrorit, minitools, easeus.

No need to do a such thing. You can easily do all this via Disk Management or Diskpart. People have to stop relying on 3rd party software for everything, including basic tasks.

Upvote 0

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
From what I can see, your recovery partition are indeed used then ... this is weird.
Give me a bit of time to finish my raid in Guild Wars 2 and I'll come take a look via join.me alright ?

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
@VirusAttak

since this is a OEM Windows 8 computer i have a few questions please

have you upgraded from Windows 8 to Win 8.1 ?

have you had to restore back to Windows 8 from the restore partition after upgrading to Windows 8.1 ?

i ask because i have seen this on my pc also after upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 i also got
a new 350mb recovery partition

but then weeks later i uninstalled somthing i should have not of and needed to restore from my OEM
restore partition back to Windows 8

after the restore i upgraded back to Windows 8.1 and now i have 2 350mb partitions

now if i keep reinstalling back to Windows 8 and upgrade to Windows 8.1 i would get a 350mb partition
each time

i did search for this problem at Microsofts Froums and found others with the same trouble

some say it's ok to delete some of them but others say to leave them alone

:)

James

Reactions: Koroke San
Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
ok thanks

no i have left the 2 350mb recovery partition alone on my pc i also have one recovery
partition thats 1023mb that i think is OEM

i know that 1 was added to my system when i upgraded to Win 8.1 and when i fell back to
Win 8 it was still there i looked

then i updated to Win 8.1 again and get a second 350mb partition

now after i upgraded to Win 8.1 for the second time in my computer management snap-in it says
i have 2 20.9gb D: recovery image OEM partition and it did not before

but if i use AOMEI partition assistant pro it only see's 1 20.9gb D: partition so i'm not so
sure what Windows computer management snap-in is seeing

so in my case i have left it alone and from what i have read in my search to find out why it
happend is i haven't but the 350mb partition is tools Windows 8.1 uses to restore from

i just hope you have not restored thay meany times to add that amount of 350mb partitions

James

Reactions: Malware1
Upvote 0

VirusAttak

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Aug 31, 2014
I Got your Point Completely From now I'm not going to restore it ...else one day whole disk will be reserved as Recovery Partition :D

Reactions: Malware1
Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
what lead me to this is searching about the added hard disk drive that is in the Windows
defrag program that can't be defraged (\\?\VOLUME{random numbers}) after upgrading to
Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 on OEM computers

Microdoft missed something in that update or why is others having the same trouble

if you search for the added volume that can't be defraged you will see others with the
samething after the Win 8.1 update

if you and Aura work this out please let me know

Thanks

James

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.