Need Help How to reorganize partitions?

Discussion in 'Apps - Questions & Help' started by shmu26, Dec 29, 2017.

1. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    Date of initial issues:
    yesterday
    Steps taken to resolve, but unsuccessful?:
    none
    Operating System:
    win10 pro x64 RS3
    List current issues or symptoms:
    partitions are separated from one another
    OS Architecture:
    64-bit
    As shown in screenshot, the two partitions (C: and V: ) on my primary disk got separated from one another. I think this happened when I got fall creators update.
    I also have too many of these little 450 MB partitions, probably because of this type of updates.
    But the most important thing to me is to move V: next to C:, so I can resize if necessary.
    If I delete the little partition in the middle, I assume I will lose my Windows recovery capability.

Last thing, don't know if it is important, is that the primary disk should really be 0, not 1. I probably have to switch the SATA cables. Not sure whether that really matters or not.

I have AOMEI partition assistant, and Macrium Reflect in case of disaster.

Your advice is appreciated.

Capture.PNG

2. tim one

tim one Level 19
    Trusted AV Tester

Jul 31, 2014
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    In my opinion, if this doesn't create issues I would leave everything as it is.
    Always dangerous to play by moving the partitions :)

3. Evjl's Rain

Evjl's Rain Level 29
    Trusted AV Tester

Apr 18, 2016
    Vietnam
    Windows 8.1
    Avast
    if you move partitions or resize them, there is a high chance of breaking the whole drive, just like me in the past when I tried to resize my C drive, it broke all my data in other partitions
    you can follow the instruction here (post #3) to determine which recovery partitions are safe to delete and which one is in use now, then you can delete the spare ones
    Too many Recovery Partitions??? Solved - Windows 10 Forums

I tried and it was successful

4. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    Thanks.
    Yup, the active recovery partition is the one right smack in the middle.

harlan4096, Marko :), SHvFl and 2 others like this.
  5. SHvFl

SHvFl Level 32
    Content Creator Trusted

Nov 19, 2014
    Supermodel for McDonald's
    Europe
    Windows 10
    Emsisoft
    Move everything from V to C. Delete V partition and then expand the C partition. Easy and secure.
    Leave the small ones alone because you have so many that we can't know which one is the current.

6. shmu26

shmu26 Level 53

Jul 3, 2015
    Utopia
    Sounds good.
    Now you reminded me, I think that the last time this happened to me, I did basically like you said, except that I imaged the partitions beforehand, and I restored the middle recovery partition and placed it immediately after the main partition. The middle one seems to be the active recovery partition.

SHvFl likes this.