Troubleshoot How to reorganize partitions?

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
As shown in screenshot, the two partitions (C: and V: ) on my primary disk got separated from one another. I think this happened when I got fall creators update.
I also have too many of these little 450 MB partitions, probably because of this type of updates.
But the most important thing to me is to move V: next to C:, so I can resize if necessary.
If I delete the little partition in the middle, I assume I will lose my Windows recovery capability.

Last thing, don't know if it is important, is that the primary disk should really be 0, not 1. I probably have to switch the SATA cables. Not sure whether that really matters or not.

I have AOMEI partition assistant, and Macrium Reflect in case of disaster.

Your advice is appreciated.

Capture.PNG

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
if you move partitions or resize them, there is a high chance of breaking the whole drive, just like me in the past when I tried to resize my C drive, it broke all my data in other partitions
you can follow the instruction here (post #3) to determine which recovery partitions are safe to delete and which one is in use now, then you can delete the spare ones
Too many Recovery Partitions??? Solved - Windows 10 Forums

I tried and it was successful

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
if you move partitions or resize them, there is a high chance of breaking the whole drive, just like me in the past when I tried to resize my C drive, it broke all my data in other partitions
you can follow the instruction here (post #3) to determine which recovery partitions are safe to delete and which one is in use now, then you can delete the spare ones
Too many Recovery Partitions??? Solved - Windows 10 Forums

I tried and it was successful
Thanks.
Yup, the active recovery partition is the one right smack in the middle.

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Move everything from V to C. Delete V partition and then expand the C partition. Easy and secure.
Leave the small ones alone because you have so many that we can't know which one is the current.
Sounds good.
Now you reminded me, I think that the last time this happened to me, I did basically like you said, except that I imaged the partitions beforehand, and I restored the middle recovery partition and placed it immediately after the main partition. The middle one seems to be the active recovery partition.

Reactions: Syafiq and SHvFl
Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
So it turns out that Windows can get upset if you don't handle the recovery partition properly.
The safe way to do it is like this:
1 delete all partitions on the disk that are to the right of the active recovery partition. (The active one is usually the one immediately to the right of the C drive)
2 move the active recovery partition to the right end of the disk
3 expand the C drive into the remaining space

Upvote 0

shmu26

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.