Top Freeware Picks by MajorGeeks

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Over and over again the team at Majorgeeks is asked “what is the best program to......?” Because of this we decided to share our favorites with you and keep it updated.
Majorgeeks tests all software before posting for quality and because of this we list fewer than 10,000 files while the “large download sites” offer over 500,000. Of the less than 10,000 files that have passed Majorgeeks strict tests here are our very top picks which we consider the elite, top 1 percent everyone should have on their computer.

Read More

Most programs there are known to be really recommended and known for positive feedback.

blackhole

Mar 25, 2012
Avira free on first place and mse on second place?PLEASE...you've got to be kidding me! They both suck! And saying that avast has a high fp level? I am not an avast man myself , but that is SO unfair! Avast has hardely any fp's , they should re-edit that post an crown avira they fp's king! Because thats what its truely is!

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
blackhole said:
Avira free on first place and mse on second place?PLEASE...you've got to be kidding me! They both suck! And saying that avast has a high fp level? I am not an avast man myself , but that is SO unfair! Avast has hardely any fp's , they should re-edit that post an crown avira they fp's king! Because thats what its truely is!
Couldn't agree more with you... Avast is offering premium features for free , stuff like Webguard, AutoSandbox and File Reputation can put this product above Avira or MSE in any day..........
Usually this type of 'tops' done by this big sites aren't really objective so any result should be take with a grain of salt....

blackhole

Mar 25, 2012
luckely it whas done by a bunch of ignorrant industrial " experts " , because someone with knowhow and experience , should be ashamed of himself , publishing a psot like this!!! and avira teaming up with ask to make the toolbar , the badest idea , in the history of bad idea's!!! avira's web detection depends on this toolbar , so if you don't agree with installing this toolbar , you get NO webfilter....thumbs down for this one!!! I know for shure , that the more advanced users here on MalwareTips should make lists like these , then we would get REAL results :p

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Its their own point of view and observation thus the product you've expect may differ from them. Mostly happen on other review sites.

Ramblin

Level 3
May 14, 2011
Lets be honest, all 3 of the top antiviruses in the list are about the same. Personally, I don't like any kind of toolbar but I would still place Avast in third place. Not because of "more false positives" but because of the destruction that Avasts false positives have been in the last couple years. I know of at least 3 times in the last 2 years that a bad Avast virus definition update rendered computers that were updated useless.

To most of us here, a false positive wont even make us blink but for most users, any kind of detection creates panic and when users panic, they delete or allow the antivirus to delete files. Avast has done this at least 3 times during the last 2 years while MSE or Avira have not.

To me, that's enough good reason to place Avast in third place and actually maybe it should have been placed in fourth behind Panda.

Bo

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
I think Avast and Avira should be tied for first (Avira is not what I would recommend for inexperienced users though). I guess you could give Avast the edge because of what Jack pointed out. MSE is a distant third, imho. AVG, if included, would be 54th.

blackhole

Mar 25, 2012
well if AVG shoulld be in place 54 , than that piece of junk avast should be lying somewhere around in the junkyard!!! AVG beats avast's ... any time of the day so bring it on!!! :p

Gnosis

Level 5
Apr 26, 2011
They are both out of the Czech Republic. That is the only thing that they have in common.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
blackhole said:
well if AVG shoulld be in place 54 , than that piece of junk avast should be lying somewhere around in the junkyard!!! AVG beats avast's ... any time of the day so bring it on!!! :p

Interesting. Could you elaborate in detail to why AVG Free is better than Avast Free.

I'm eager to hear.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
blackhole said:

I will have to agree about the high false positive issues on Avira.
Another thing that I don't like about Avira is the default action when it detects malware is to "Deny Access" which just leaves the malware there waiting for Avira to crash because it can start infecting.

Avast, MSE and AVG moves detected malware to quarantine (Virus Chest), etc. by default.

I believe MajorGeeks hires a third-party to write their reviews, people who probably just read other info posted on the web and come to an conclusion. Of coarse it could be influenced by MajorGeeks ad partners.

Thanks.:D

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
The only pros for the alerts on Avira is that if a numerous threats detected it will shown a single popup with number of threats found.

The older version of Avira is showing a single popup per threat so sometimes it could generally an annoying.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
Avast should top anyones free av list. The feature set is comprehensive. Frankly speaking some of the paid suits do not have avasts features nor its detection rates. The best part is avasts Boot time scanner and file reputation. Whoa, avast has high fps, probably they installed a fake avast LOL. I have seen that Avira's fp levels have gone down drastically. Avg too is top notch. I feel MSE does not have these additional features. IT is a simple basic Av.

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
I want to bring one more point to notice that even AVG shows a unified box for multiple threat detection. Also AVG's Identity Protection is top notch. User Interface is now fairly simple. Some times I feel Avast's interface a bit to large. Avg has consolidated various sheilds into one while Avast displays them individually.
Avg linkscanner is any day ahead of Avast's WebRep. But both are good peice of free AV's.
A person for simplicity can choose MSE. MSE would be a good idea if your teaming up with comodo Firewall and Defense+. Even Avira and Avast works well with it. Avg is kinda ok-ok. IF you use Zone Alarm or Outpost then better choose AVG or MSE. Online Armor works will with all of them. But I had bsods with Avast+OA

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Also AVG maintains as the top when comes to the users used it as known for a long time free AV.

blackhole

Mar 25, 2012
The only thing AVG lacks is a sandbox , but I am shure they will work on this , when the 2013 version comes around!
They had a bad rep in the past for low detection rates , but they are getting better with every realease!! AVG has also better healing capebillities when it comes to malware removal , Avast leaves bits and pieces behind!!

malbky

Level 1
Jun 23, 2011
BlackHole I think i should ask tech support of AVG that AVG 2012 SP1 was indeed AVG 2013. Tested AVG with Nmap. Rock solid firewall so way to go.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.