Valheim
Hobbies
    • Computers and technology
    • Education
    • Malware and threat analysis

whatspgp

Thread author
Nov 16, 2022
Can someone recommend me topics to learn about to get into malware dev and pentesting. I started learning about computer architecture, memory, buffer overflows etc. but I'm not sure where to go after that. I just want a long list of things I can pick away at.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Networking, protocols, deep packet inspection, XML, XPath Injection, XXE, SQL Injection, HTML Injections, privilege escalation, XXS - cross site scripting, API Security.

Understanding social engineering attacks, how to exploit network-based vulnerabilities, and intercept traffic via on-path (man-in-the-middle) attacks, pivoting, known vulnerabilities.

Research attack vectors and how to perform application-based attacks, wireless attacks, network attacks, cloud technologies, and the reverse - how to defend against these.

Virtual Machines, Metasploitable, Damn Vulnerable Web Application (DVWA).

Tools - Kali, Frida, Hopper, Metasploit, Nmap, Dirb, Aircrack, Wireshark, Nslookup, TShark, Nikto, John the Ripper, Medusa, Trivy, Drozer, Nessus, Burp Suite, Immunity Debugger,

Python - for doing things like automating repetitive tasks etc to save you time.

This is a rather random list of topics that may be good for you.

I don't know where you've been learning about pentesting and malware development, I'm guessing places like YouTube. Have you come across people like David Bombal? He covers a range of IT topics and is fairly clear in his instruction. He is on YT and has paid for courses on places like Udemy.com (they used to offer quite a lot of free courses but after a quick search today I couldn't find many, although there were some reduced to $4 or so. Its probably worth keeping an eye out for any offers there). Bombal has some courses for free on David Bombal Free Courses

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Forums both Whitehat and Blackhat are key to learning, you can build links and network with other InfoSec people.

Join Twitter/Mastodon/Slack and follow infosec/privacy people/join infosec groups.

Reddit for their netsec/privacy/networking subreddit's.

Read krebsonsecurity.com/schneier.com for security news/malware news/privacy & encryption news.

Listen to podcasts of all sorts dealing with privacy/security.

Read Eset/Kaspersky blogs/reports and especially read their APT reports.

Follow Google's project zero and tag for interesting exploits.

Read citizenlab for surveillance information and operations,

Join What'sApp/Telegram groups about infosec/malware/privacy.

Download courses/books about security/pen testing/networking/encryption and read them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stopspying and Nevi

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
Welcome to MT, have fun around :). Just do what you like as your hobby.

Malware:

Security:

As you mentioned it there you go here and the other are rest that some of our members post the news/updates you can learn it from there which you can bookmark as the sources

Check these out:
https://malwaretips.com/categories/configuration-wizard.177/ Make a thread about your device specs they help you :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.