Advice Request TOR v11.5.4 running in vmware, or not

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Just another glitch seen here. I installed TOR on win10 virtual machine (vmware workstation 16.2) and it opened ok, took me thru new features, etc. Then I closed it and walked away for awhile. Noticed it did not put icon on desktop, IIRC in past it did, so I searched, and TOR is nowhere to be found. Not in either program files\directory, not listed in windows install / uninstall apps. The only TOR file found is the install_tor exe that I DL'd. How not_normal is this? Meanwhile win10_vm is running great. Is TOR coded to self-destruct inside vm? At least my computer is not boring.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
The file you download and run prompts you for a destination. If you don't remember what this destination was, it's most likely your Downloads or Desktop folder.

The default setting in the Windows installer also creates a shortcut for you on your Desktop, though be aware that you may have accidentally deselected the option to create a shortcut.

If you can't find it in either of those folders, download it again and look for the prompt that asks you to choose a directory to download it in. Choose a directory location that you'll remember easily, and once the download finishes you should see a Tor Browser folder there.

2022-10-23_05-48-44.jpg

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017

simmerskool

Level 31
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
fwiw, "fixed" it. on vm tor seemed to "install" on desktop more like a portable app at least that was the default location. worked ok, and then ended up deleting it. I'm thinking I must have deleted it yesterday without realizing it.

Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.