Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Free
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
AdwCleaner
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Microsoft Edge: N/A.
Internet Explorer: Norton IdentitySafe.
Vivaldi: uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Norton Toolbar, Norton IdentitySafe and Norton Default Search Engine.
Maintenance tools
CCleaner, Windows Disk Clean-up, Norton Security, Revo Uninstaller (MT Giveaway), Internet Download Manager (MT Giveaway).
File and Photo backup
OneDrive and File History
System recovery
AOMEI Backupper Standard

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
or just open Control Panel > Windows Backup (Win7) > Create System Image ;)
That too. However I feel that Windows Backup is soon going to be considered a legacy feature in Windows, and I don't think it's going to be receiving any more support/bug fixing/improvements from Microsoft. I hope I'm wrong on this one, but I think it was only brought back in Windows 10 because users wanted it back, not because Microsoft has any plans for it. :(
It was so cool though, not having to rely on 3rd Party system imaging software.
Now I cannot fully trust Windows Backup anymore for system images. :rolleyes:
Maybe the system repair disc... but no more than that.

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
no , try to be simple
I am paranoid, but you're right, I have four programs running protecting me. Thanks for your help! You're amazing, have a good day :)

D

Deleted Member 333v73x

Thread author
@Umbra

Good advice from the man with the most complex multi-layered home-user security configuration on the planet => take NSA about 762,354 years to break in...

He won't lend me his "God Finger" so I can duplicate it without all manner of problems.

:p
True :) You made me laugh

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
I tried it in a virtual machine, and it was very light on the system but the detection is just horrible, it scored 2/20 on 1 week old malware and 0/10 on zero-day malware, it's said to use ClamAV engine and another one that I have never heard of. Furthermore the two it did detect where detected AFTER I had completed the download which is a terrible idea.

Well the Pro version of Immunet as far as concern uses Bitdefender signatures, but wonder now as the development phase is seems stagnant at all.

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Will MBAE deal with ransomware?
Hello, Anti-Malware Reviewer. As I've used MBAE Free, I thought this an intriguing question.o_O

"From the MBAE Beta FAQ:

14- Will MBAE stop rogue antiviruses and ransomware?

There are two types of attacks when it comes to rogue antivirus and ransomware campaigns. In the first type of attack, using social engineering to fool users, a webpage simulating an antivirus scan is shown and the user is prompted to download and install the solution to the problem (which is the malicious or rogue antivirus). In the second, more advanced and dangerous type of attack, the user is lured into visiting a malicious webpage which exploits one or multiple vulnerabilities to automatically and transparently run the rogue antivirus or ransomware on the target system without any user interaction. In the first type of attack it is the responsibility of the antivirus to detect malicious executables, since MBAE is designed to prevent applications from being exploited automatically, when there is no user intervention involved. MBAE is not a white-listing or anti-exe solution which requires maintenance and user-based input. The second type of attack will be blocked by MBAE as it does rely on exploiting software vulnerabilities to run automatically and transparently without user interaction."

Source: CryptoLocker Ransomware + CryptoPrevent Q&A
I've liked, and have enjoyed reading the turns taken with this, your evolving configuration.;) Thank you for sharing, and welcoming our sharing with you.:)

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Hello, Anti-Malware Reviewer. As I've used MBAE Free, I thought this an intriguing question.o_O

"From the MBAE Beta FAQ:

14- Will MBAE stop rogue antiviruses and ransomware?

There are two types of attacks when it comes to rogue antivirus and ransomware campaigns. In the first type of attack, using social engineering to fool users, a webpage simulating an antivirus scan is shown and the user is prompted to download and install the solution to the problem (which is the malicious or rogue antivirus). In the second, more advanced and dangerous type of attack, the user is lured into visiting a malicious webpage which exploits one or multiple vulnerabilities to automatically and transparently run the rogue antivirus or ransomware on the target system without any user interaction. In the first type of attack it is the responsibility of the antivirus to detect malicious executables, since MBAE is designed to prevent applications from being exploited automatically, when there is no user intervention involved. MBAE is not a white-listing or anti-exe solution which requires maintenance and user-based input. The second type of attack will be blocked by MBAE as it does rely on exploiting software vulnerabilities to run automatically and transparently without user interaction."

Source: CryptoLocker Ransomware + CryptoPrevent Q&A
I've liked, and have enjoyed reading the turns taken with this, your evolving configuration.;) Thank you for sharing, and welcoming our sharing with you.:)

Should I take it that running the browser in a sandbox would help with the first type of attack? The installer for the virus would not run from the sandbox, so the problem would not occur. That is as long as the installer were not moved or copy/pasted outside the sandbox.

This brings to mind for me the best way to secure against bogus installers. Other than the a-v recognizing the signature of the file, what protection is there against this?

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Definitely. If you don't want to bother to open a webpage, there's VirusTotal Scanner. Sometimes it doesn't work, and that's when I use the Uploader. I run all my new downloaded programs past it. I try to remember to do PDFs also.;)
+1 for scanning all questionable files & programs. They can be up to 125 mb in size which I've just gone over at times.:confused: I find I visit www.virustotal.com more often than I use the installed uploader (I'd prefer it opened in Firefox) but it opens in Explorer, so if anyone knows how to tweak this in order to use Firefox instead...Thanks!:D)
Should I take it that running the browser in a sandbox would help with the first type of attack? The installer for the virus would not run from the sandbox, so the problem would not occur. That is as long as the installer were not moved or copy/pasted outside the sandbox.

This brings to mind for me the best way to secure against bogus installers. Other than the a-v recognizing the signature of the file, what protection is there against this?
@AtlBo, whenever possible only download from the developer. Their installers won't be bogus. Shadow Defender Shadow Defender - the easiest PC/laptop security and privacy protection tool is a reliable fail safe that is a paid product, but a different (free) virtual <reset> button alternative that can be used is called Time Freeze. ToolWiz Time Freeze
The free advertising below shows my gratitude for Sandboxie (I did not expect it would look so large..:oops:):rolleyes: & reflects how I do sandbox most browsing sessions, with the exception of updates, and I believe it to be a consistent & effective protection against user error (clicking) while browsing. On my wife's Windows 7, I'm in a sandbox now. I like having an anti-executable on our Windows 7 & 8.1 systems too, but have only once seen MBAE intercept an :eek:exploit while on 8.1 ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.