Advice Request Total AV - Is it a Scam?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Behold Eck

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 22, 2014
Hello guys,

Sorry, I'm digging up the subject, just to announce that I've been investigating TotalAV, ScanGuard and cie for 2 months...
It's coming soon in video ! I discovered some interesting things....

I also asked Avira if they were a partner, but if I don't get an answer, I know how to get them :)

Yes all very interesting indeed. I can understand why Avira would want to keep it quiet any association with these products.

Can`t wait for your video Shadowra.(y)(y)

Regards Eck:)

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
FYI its owned by the advertising company System1, the same people who bought Waterfox and Startpage, so its no surprise they are using agressive and misleading advertising, though I dont understand why Avira is so compliant with outsourcing their engine to every company under the sun, they must be cash stripped or something.

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
It seems that Avira will license their antivirus engine to anyone.

For example, MajorAV.
www.majorav.com
9097b270c3718bf179ff81558a273a1c.png
Maybe not a trojan, but two other engines are also picking it up.

F

ForgottenSeer 67480

Typical situation after purchasing TotalSCAM, SCAMProtect & SCAMGuard services:
"Customer reaction after receiving a message from the bank about huge illegal money billing from his account by those FAKE antiviruses" Customer: What the...
"Disappointed customer at their company" Customer: Get me the manager RIGHT NOW!

Reactions: Nevi and Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Typical situation after purchasing TotalSCAM, SCAMProtect & SCAMGuard services:
"Customer reaction after receiving a message from the bank about huge illegal money billing from his account by those FAKE antiviruses" Customer: What the...
"Disappointed customer at their company" Customer: Get me the manager RIGHT NOW!

I've almost finished my investigation, the video should be out by the end of January.
And it won't be the only ones :D

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
I do not support any scam company :)
The goal will be to expose them and dissuade novice users from installing or paying for them
What I mean is to not give them too much attention, though of course if your motive is to expose them then go ahead, just dont try to highlight anything positive

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadowra

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If "independent" labs are then to be trusted, why does it have a near 100% detection ratio? Test Protected.net Total AV 5.15 for Windows 10 (211524)
Because it seems that they don't test using very recent threats, which gives Avira (it's using their signatures) time to have added signatures for the detected threats. If it was tested against more recent threats for which Avira had not added signatures yet, it would most likely do much worse, due to non-existent or poor behavioural detection.

Reactions: Shadowra

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
Because it seems that they don't test using very recent threats, which gives Avira (it's using their signatures) time to have added signatures for the detected threats. If it was tested against more recent threats for which Avira had not added signatures yet, it would most likely do much worse, due to non-existent or poor behavioural detection.
I have seen that in action, tested it in a virtual machine against zero day URL's, it detect none out of 9, only detecting the payload repeatedly, with Avira signatures of course, so how it manages against 99% of zero days according to AV-TEST is beyond me

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
I get the impression that it is not a scam but is sly. I thought @roger_m had the most calm rating. Regardless of performance, this software seems to work as security software. What should be considered a problem is the procedure of business. However, the difficulty of unsubscribing is not limited to this software.

ScandinavianFish

Level 7
Verified
Dec 12, 2021
I get the impression that it is not a scam but is sly. I thought @roger_m had the most calm rating. Regardless of performance, this software seems to work as security software. What should be considered a problem is the procedure of business. However, the difficulty of unsubscribing is not limited to this software.
Their marketing tactics are so shady it might aswell be a scam, at the very least its an PUP, they use affiliate sites posing as review sites, which they pay google and other sites to advertise at the very top of search results, so they are straight up misleading and lying to users, like some VPN companies does, and if you have actually looked at their reviews you will see they are also using bots on Trustpilot and Google Reviews, it has all the hallmarks of being an scam, even if its functionally an antivirus, ive seen so many reviews from people being instantly charged over 100$ for their supposed "discount" price of like 30$.

And thats not mentioning uBlock Origin blocking their sites, aswell as Malwarebytes blocking their clones, PCProtect and Scanguard, websites for PUP's, even Windows Defender used to detect the TotalAV installer for PUA:Win32/Presenoker, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, DrWeb and GData and a couple obscure AV's used to detect it as an PUP aswell, with Fortinet now being the only one left, detecting it as riskware.

f2f79142977c571153380f6894f1dfb2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: roger_m and show-Zi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.