Status
Not open for further replies.

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
Thanks. Comodo Internet Security has a build-in antivirus, sorry if I didn't understand you. Personally I think UAC is annoying. I'm the only person that uses my PC.

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Thanks. Comodo Internet Security has a build-in antivirus, sorry if I didn't understand you. .
Hi! You can safely upgrade to the latest version of CIS.
The point @Wolfie is trying to put forward is that Comodo has an AV engine (definitions of malware/viruses) that's no good in defending you against most malware.
The auto-sandbox feature (run unknown and untrusted apps virtually) can keep you safe.
Yet, you need a powerful AV to identify threats in the first place. For that, you can try a free AV (Bitdefender free, Avast free) and complement it with Comodo Firewall. Comodo FW has all features of CIS except for the AV engine.
Personally I think UAC is annoying. I'm the only person that uses my PC
Still, you need it to inform yourself when unsigned and harmful executables are to be executed. It's a basic security measure, AVs come later.

Rest looks good @toto_10.
You can safely remove WOT extension since uBlock will do a great work in blocking malicious and untrusted sites.

Consider a system backup tool too. This is very helpful to restore your system to a clean state in cases of serious infections or system corruptions.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Last edited by a moderator:

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
Hi! You can safely upgrade to the latest version of CIS.

Thanks, I will check it out.

Yet, you need a powerful AV to identify threats in the first place. For that, you can try a free AV (Bitdefender free, Avast free) and complement it with Comodo Firewall. Comodo FW has all features of CIS except for the AV engine.

Comodo Firewall + another software, wouldn't that use more memory and CPU power instead of all-in-one solution CIS?

Still, you need it to inform yourself when unsigned and harmful executables are to be executed. It's a basic security measure, AVs come later.

I changed to 'Standard', is that OK?

Reactions: Parsh

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
Rest looks good @toto_10.
You can safely remove WOT extension since uBlock will do a great work in blocking malicious and untrusted sites.

I have never thought about that, good idea.

Consider a system backup tool too. This is very helpful to restore your system to a clean state in cases of serious infections or system corruptions.

Is there any cloud-storage-service solution for that?

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
Comodo Firewall + another software, wouldn't that use more memory and CPU power instead of all-in-one solution CIS?
That should not be an issue. This is a well-received configuration here at MT and mostly it doesn't create issues. Choose a light antivirus as I mentioned above.
If there occurs an issue by any chance, people are always here to help ;)
Note- If you're installing any Bitdefender product, it needa removing any other product (including Comodo FW). So make sure to first install BD and then others (CFW).

I changed to 'Standard', is that OK?
Yes. But this is just the setup. You should male wise decision when running unknown files. UAC will warn, but to accept or not is crucial.

Is there any cloud-storage-service solution for that?
In control panel, you've Backup and Restore (Windows 7) in Windows 10 too.
There you can specify the path to save the system backup.
For eg., select 'One-drive' option that is integrated already with Windows. Or download 'Google-drive' app for Windows and then you can select it as backup location. It will sync automatically. Dropbox also has backup features for directories. So you can backup locally or on a network and then allow 'Dropbox' to backup that folder timely.
There may be other ready-made tools available for this, however the above ones are the plain solutions you can use.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
I have now bought Kaspersky Internet Security 2017. Is there anywhere I can find how to properly configure my settings?

Add ZAM Free, Disconnect, I agree about removing WOT.

I know that Zemana is highly recommended here in MalwareTips. I actually never heard about Zemana before. Is it simular to Malwarebytes? Where can I find a trustworhty source/review that can recommend this software?

Parsh

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Dec 27, 2016
I have now bought Kaspersky Internet Security 2017. Is there anywhere I can find how to properly configure my settings?
While there are no standard settings for KIS, this thread by @viktik covers nice details for a great config.
KIS protection will vary with slightest of changes since it provides for many settings and flexibility. You may choose to vary a setting as per your needs, or consult here if any doubt clouds arise.

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
Btw thanks for the backup recommendations, I will check it out. ;)

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
Although this is for KIS 2016: How to setup Kaspersky Internet Security 2016 for Maximum Protection (Guide)

I know that Zemana is highly recommended here in MalwareTips. I actually never heard about Zemana before. Is it simular to Malwarebytes? Where can I find a trustworhty source/review that can recommend this software?
Really recent: Zemana AntiMalware 2.72.2.101 - Security - Downloads

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
KIS17 is constant using 87-89 MB memory, sometimes 100 MB, is that normal or too much?

Crypto

Level 2
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Suggestions:
  • Install a secondary browser such as Mozilla Firefox.
  • (Optional/Opinion) Add the browser extension ScriptSafe in Chrome, it is very useful for blocking scripts that run on websites which is one of the many vectors of infection that is made possible.
  • Install a Cloud Anti-Malware on-demand scanner called "Crystal Security".

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
After I uninstalled Comodo Internet Security, I checked my regedit, it's full of leftovers. I used GeekUninstaller to uninstall Comodo. First I closed down Comodo in the system tray, after that I also closed Comodo in task manager. After a successful uninstall I rebooted my PC and used CCleaner for leftovers.

I am thinking of doing a clean windows 10 install, what do you guys think? It annoys me when there is leftovers, any suggestions?

I can already feel that my PC doesn't run smoothly :(

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Consider some type of data and system backup solution.
However if you are doing a clean install wait until you do that then you can make a backup of a clean OS.
Macrium Reflect & AOMEI Backupper offer good free versions.
Thanks for sharing your config :)

Reactions: JM Safe

toto_10

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
I need help to backup my PC. I have installed Macrium Reflect and I'm unsecure how to use it. I have 3 hard drivers installed in my PC. I want to backup my hard drive (C) into my hard drive (E) and afterwards backup hard drive (E) to (D). Is this a good solution or do you recommend something else?

What is the difference between Clone this disk, Image this disk, Backup WIndows, Create bootable Rescue media?

I don't know where to start. I'm scared that I will delete/erase one of my hard drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.