Status
Not open for further replies.

Transhumana

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Have you considered migrating to Windows 10?
Secure config! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Thank you for your comment; it's good to hear that my configuration is secure :D
Even though I'm far from being a happy-clicker and I do consider myself as cautious user, I think one can never be careful enough.
I only took a small peek at Windows 10 while I was installing few programs on my dad's PC, but I might give it a go in the future.

Do you use hardened mode on Avast?
Yes. :)

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Windows 10 Creators Update or maybe wait for Fall Creators Update. Either way it's a good setup and I think it's secure enough that you don't need Malwarebytes. I think Avast and HitmanPro Alert are already doing the heavy lifting. :)

Transhumana

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind when I decide to migrate to Windows 10. :)
Two months ago I downloaded the trial version of HitmanPro.Alert just to give it a go and loved it, especially its keystroke encryption.

FrFc1908

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 28, 2016
avast - hmpa - mbam---> overkill! plus mbam is at best a so so on demand scanner , uses up a lot of needless ram in realtime. best to stick with avast in hardened mode and hmpa as extra safety net. thanks for sharing your config with us ;)

Glashouse

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 4, 2017
Looks good for me, thanks for sharing.

The only risk I see is that something can happen to your data while your backup disk is connected to your computer (I know this will be quite rare)

Transhumana

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Thank you for your comment, Glashouse. :) It's a valid argument and even though it might not be that probable (everything is stored both on WD Elements and WD My Book), it's still possible and maybe I should consider some cloud-based backup service as well.

Glashouse

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 4, 2017
Sure, there are lots of others like Backblaze, Carbonite, ... I tested them years ago and came to the conclusion that for my needs crashplan is good, for you... you have to see yourself :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.