TrapperX overkill Security Config

Windows Edition
Pro
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer
Real-time security
Avast Internet Security, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home Premium, SuperAntiSpyware Lifetime, HitmanPro Alert, Malwarebytes Anti-Eploit Premium, GWX Control Panel to stop Windows 10 upgrade and CryptoPrevent Premium Edition.
Firewall security
Periodic malware scanners
RogueKiller, AdwCleaner, Junkware Removal Tool, Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit, Eset and Emsisoft Emergency Kit.
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Mozilla FireFox with uBlock, Privacy Badger, Avast Online Security, Tab Utilities Fixed and F.B. Purity.
Maintenance tools
System Ninja Pro, CCleaner and Tweaking.com Windows Repair
N

Noxx

Well then, you've got a lot of programs, I would almost say a bit overkill. Your on-demands are good, but you could probably reduce it down to EMSISOFT, Adwcleaner, Rogue Killer, and I would perhaps even recommend Zemana AntiMalware -- totalling 4 on-demands, if you're fancy for more than 2. I don't personally find SuperAntiSpyware very useful anymore. I think you could get away with just running AVAST, Malwarebytes, Hitmanpro and CryptoPrevent. I'm not too up-to-date on how CryptoPrevent fairs against ransomware, but I do know that HMPA provides ransomware protection, so even CryptoPrevent may be unnecessary. You don't really need MBAE because AVAST provides anti-exploit prot. Also, what are your reasons for avoiding Windows 10? Thanks for sharing your config! ;)

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Looks good I'd say to keep MBAE. Keep everything the way it is. Possibly upgrade to Windows 10 though. :) Use Malwarebytes Anti-Malware as an ODS remove MBARK since MBAM has rootkit scanning.

You don't really need MBAE because AVAST provides anti-exploit prot

Based on my experience Avast doesn't have exploit protection integrated into it using Premier

N

Noxx

Hey has Premium of MBAE so he should atleast wait till that expires to safe some money. :)

I got nothing against MBAE, I'm just a bit uneasy about two separate products with anti-exploit prot. You just never know how they might work together. Anyways, we'll let others give their input. =P

TrapperX

Thread author
Apr 30, 2016
Well then, you've got a lot of programs, I would almost say a bit overkill. Your on-demands are good, but you could probably reduce it down to EMSISOFT, Adwcleaner, Rogue Killer, and I would perhaps even recommend Zemana AntiMalware -- totalling 4 on-demands, if you're fancy for more than 2. I don't personally find SuperAntiSpyware very useful anymore. I think you could get away with just running AVAST, Malwarebytes, Hitmanpro and CryptoPrevent. I'm not too up-to-date on how CryptoPrevent fairs against ransomware, but I do know that HMPA provides ransomware protection, so even CryptoPrevent may be unnecessary. You don't really need MBAE because AVAST provides anti-exploit prot. Also, what are your reasons for avoiding Windows 10? Thanks for sharing your config! ;)

Yes it is overkill and I have been very successful running it this way for many years now.
I built this system 7 years ago, AMD Quad 2.5Ghz with added ram and it has never lagged or caused any problems with this configuration. I run a very heavy tabbed FireFox 70-80 tabs a lot of times with no problems. I also have Chrome running Pandora as it seemed to crash my FF often with so many tabs opened.

I don't run the on-demand scanners very often maybe once a months if I feel something is not quit right but feel good about the real time protection I have in place. I bought the SuperAntiSpyware years ago and I have found it catches things that other scanners have not so I believe it is still relevant.

HMPA provides live ransomware protection but CryptoPrevent writes 200+ group policy object rules into the registry in order to prevent executive's in specific locations from running, and I know they have there new version coming out soon. Is it redundant? One thing I have found is I would rather have more protection than less as long as my system isn't being slowed down.

I am not a fan of Windows 10 at this moment. I have tried to use it a few times on different systems but feel I am just having to relearn where everything is at. I do work on them daily but I am very happy right now running my Windows 8.1 with Stardock Windows 7 start menu :D

I will checkout Zemana AntiMalware, I had never heard of it before.

N

Noxx

I'll take your word for it on the ransomware, I'm very novice in that area. Do check out Zemana AntiMalware. You can sign up for the beta and get 90-days premium for free. It didn't honestly take me long to get used to Win10, it certainly was more familiar to my liking than 8 (though as you say, if you use stardock, you can get the Win10 feel back)

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
I don't get the point of using HMP.A and MBAE simultaneously. Could you please explain what are advantages of running them both at the same time?

N

Noxx

I don't get the point of using HMP.A and MBAE simultaneously. Could you please explain what are advantages of running them both at the same time?

I forgot that HMPA also had anti-exploit prot. So potentially three anti-exploits. I don't personally use AVAST, but JGamez says that he can't find anything reading anti-exploit in the settings. AVAST has a page dedicated to anti-exploit here.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015

He already has MBAE Premium best to let it finish the premium license. Imo MBAE is better.

enaph

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 14, 2011
Able to stop and enable protection decide and change shields. :p He has enough other on demand scanners so he's safe eneough.
Just like HMP.A minus keystrokes encryption, CryptoGuard etc. :p:D

Reactions: Alkajak

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.