App Review TrendMicro Maximum Security Antivirus 2022

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Content created by
Shadowra

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello and welcome to the TrendMicro test!
Trend Micro is a Japanese company, well known for their OfficeScan product (which is often used in high schools)
TrendMicro used to publish a version called PC Cillin, but moved to 100% Cloud in 2011.
The editor offers its version 2022, with many features, even if some are quite gimmicky (like personalization, it's fun yes, but it's useless).
As soon as it opens, TrendMicro offers to configure the anti-ransomware protection, which allows you to protect your most precious data from a Ransomware attack.
The product is very easy to use, the editor targets computer novices. Install it and forget it!
For the test, I left the default settings, including on unknown threats.

And it turns out that TrendMicro is very solid!
The protection was able to block all submitted threats!
Whether it was unknown malware (it refused to launch) or when it stopped the JS and VBS attack process! Trend was formidable!
On the other hand, I am quite disappointed with the antivirus scanner which is clearly bad...
Don't count on TrendMicro to scan a machine, but thanks to its behavioral and Cloud defenses, it will protect you.
Recommendable!

RAM Usage : Light
Phishing URL test : 2/3 (1 missed, 2 not work)
Malware URL test : 9/10 (1 missed - Probably a fake Skype)
Fake crack : 1/1 (detected)
Malware Pack : Remaining 168 files out of 360. Trend Micro's scanner is very bad, and does not detect several threats.
But, Trend Micro proved to be formidable at runtime, blocking the launch of unknown malware, and killing script processes thanks to suspicious behavior detection!
The machine is healthy, just 1 trace remains, but not dangerous. Easily removable.

Resistance to script attacks: Yes

Result :
Trend : 0
NPE : 1
KVRT : 0

Recommand : Yes
System Clean : Yes, system protected

Last edited:

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I wonder how many false positives their web filtering gets. The AiProtection on my ASUS router (provided by Trend Micro) got so many I just turned it off to save on router resources and used a malware filtering DNS.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Trend Micro usually automatically switch to Hypersensitive mode which blocks almost everything unknown to it if many malware are executed one after another. So it's possible that this near perfect result is the cause of that. Setting the protection level to Normal might give you a result close to a real world scenario.

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Trend Micro usually automatically switch to Hypersensitive mode which blocks almost everything unknown to it if many malware are executed one after another. So it's possible that this near perfect result is the cause of that. Setting the protection level to Normal might give you a result close to a real world scenario.

I left it by default, which may explain

I3rYcE

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 4, 2011
To see a quality test, you need knowledge, learning and correct files. I did it for a while, but unfortunately it's just a game. No offence intended.

Shadowra

Level 33
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
To see a quality test, you need knowledge, learning and correct files. I did it for a while, but unfortunately it's just a game. No offence intended.

I am not offended, but I want to answer you anyway.

The packs I use, I get them from 2 sources...
They are then tested on 2 sites that I think you know, and on a VM that I have dedicated.

I have enough knowledge, I reassure you ;)
I don't test an antivirus before I know it. It spends a few days on my virtual machine as a test without video, and then I make the video.

What disappoints me is that you didn't ask me to explain how I do it, instead of drawing hasty conclusions.... I think I've proven enough that I know how to test, either in the Hub, or in video.....

I3rYcE

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 4, 2011
I am not offended, but I want to answer you anyway.

The packs I use, I get them from 2 sources...
They are then tested on 2 sites that I think you know, and on a VM that I have dedicated.

I have enough knowledge, I reassure you ;)
I don't test an antivirus before I know it. It spends a few days on my virtual machine as a test without video, and then I make the video.

What disappoints me is that you didn't ask me to explain how I do it, instead of drawing hasty conclusions.... I think I've proven enough that I know how to test, either in the Hub, or in video.....
Sorry I was a bit harsh. Keep up the good work and I look forward to the tests. My only goal was to strive for quality testing for the target audience.

F

ForgottenSeer 94943

This matches my experience with Trend Micro. On family devices, I always enable Hypersensitive mode; to get more FPs is way better than infected systems. The product is very light and its web protection is superb. I love that it also sends me monthly protection reports to my email so that I can see insights about the protection status of the devices of my family. The signatures are indeed weak, but once the product is installed on a clean system, ou can rest assured that you are protected.

Anthony Qian

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Apr 17, 2021
Interestingly, some malware samples with valid digital signatures bypassed TM's Hypersensitive mode in my testing. :ROFLMAO:

F

ForgottenSeer 94943

Interestingly, some malware samples with valid digital signatures bypassed TM's Hypersensitive mode in my testing. :ROFLMAO:
I believe there was a guy here on MT (from UK) who confirmed the same issue. He did mention that he reported the issue to TM though. Still not fixed?

Reactions: roger_m

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.