Tried Mcafee Gamer Edition and I do not like it

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
I just wanted to let everyone know on how i felt on Mcafee gamer Edition and perhaps it will help someone who is wondering about it,now this is my thought on
it. first i am the person who does not mind taking it for the team and installing it and trying it out myself.I uninstalled it faster then installing it did not even feel like a security suite it felt like iobit game booster now if you have a real older computer perhaps it might help but i really would not think so we all know upgrade your hardware. and on a newer computer with windows 10 no way you need this and for the price is insane. to me it just felt useless all video card manufactures Nvidia and amd do something like this all ready in the nvidia geforce and amd catalyst programs
it feels like Mcafee just put in thier stinger or discontinued cloud i do not know but i sure did not feel like this was going to protect my computer.Just my thoughts on Mcafee Gamer Edition

1574353066410.png

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Yeah, red colours and benchmarks/graphs on a performance software is usually snake oil. I just googled it and the website says nothing about security. All it talks about is performance, gaming, killing RAM consuming apps, literally zero about security.I wouldn't wannahear about a company that needs to make a whole separate product in order to do an intelligent task priority job. This is something every antivirus does without having to deliver extra products.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, here is the link so you can see the asking price on the McAfee site. Nothing that Defender, Afterburner/RTSS and Windows Task Manager don't do for me already and without additional cost. Actually, I'm a little sad for McAfee to promote this kind of money-grabbing, redundant bloatware. Opera did the same with a "gaming browser," wonder how that's doing. I'd think dedicated gamers already know how to optimize, display stats and whatnot. Nothing new here except maybe a snazzy game-inspired user interface. I'll pass.

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Opera did the same with a "gaming browser," wonder how that's doing.
Considering it's still in the so called " Early Access " version and even manage to win the Red Dot design award along with over 1 million downloads, I would say it's doing pretty well.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
I just wanted to let everyone know on how i felt on Mcafee gamer Edition and perhaps it will help someone who is wondering about it,now this is my thought on
it. first i am the person who does not mind taking it for the team and installing it and trying it out myself.I uninstalled it faster then installing it did not even feel like a security suite it felt like iobit game booster now if you have a real older computer perhaps it might help but i really would not think so we all know upgrade your hardware. and on a newer computer with windows 10 no way you need this and for the price is insane. to me it just felt useless all video card manufactures Nvidia and amd do something like this all ready in the nvidia geforce and amd catalyst programs
it feels like Mcafee just put in thier stinger or discontinued cloud i do not know but i sure did not feel like this was going to protect my computer.Just my thoughts on Mcafee Gamer Edition

View attachment 230115
None Mcafee product will protect your system.

Last edited:

Mali HG

Level 1
Feb 16, 2020
I gave this program a try, after 3 days (was working fine during that time)i started it up, and it was asking for a serial number. No indication that something wrong happened with it before then. I called their support, zero help. Wanted to connect to my computer, nope. Had me uninstall and reinstall, new serial number, etc and still there were issues. This was on a clean and fresh Windows install also. Never again with Mcafee.

B

BVLon

Are you guys still buying snake oil 😂😂😂😂
There are enough tools in Windows, nVidia and AMD Radeon drivers kit that a gamer can use to optimise gameplay. The rest is just Norton System Insight (I don’t mean to keep mentioning Norton, but it’s just impossible). Symantec launched the very same feature in 2008. Only difference, it doesn’t measure fps and even without System Insight, resource monitor and task manager both do the same + a lot more. The McAfee’s performance booster that is both in Total Protection and LiveSafe, and the gaming edition is merely a CPU priority manager, assigning higher priority to apps where user actively clicks. Nothing new and innovative here and nothing you can’t get with plethora of boosters/optimisers for Windows. When you give process a higher priority, a second GPU, CPU and Optane memory won’t magically appear. It’s not a scam, but it’s not gonna help either. If McAfee was a bit smarter, they could’ve partnered with Steam let’s say and bring some discounts or something... but nah... 😂😂😂😂

If you are looking to use McAfee product, Total Protection and LiveSafe both offer great firewall, web advisor and are still light. McAfee’s lightness is due to the fact that it adapts to your system. For example if you install it on an average laptop, McAfee will scan only on execution. If you put it on a powerful one, it will scan on read/write and execution. Also, for those of you who don’t know, McAfee has 4 scanning engines, using 4 different definition kits and depending on the available resources switches from engine A to engine B. MicroAV is hardly news. On-demand scans are very slow, but hardly load the system. You can do a full scan and watch 8k at the same time.
Although it visibly offers no settings, it manages itself in a smart way. Don’t waste your time with Gamer Security.

Last edited by a moderator:

sepik

Level 11
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2018
I can recommend Process Lasso. Very sophisticated software. Though, on my computer, it does not increase framerates but especially on older hardware there are several user cases that it actually helps. For professional audio/graphics editing, when properly used, its a life saver. And the support is very, very good.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I've found a better tip to boost gaming and add more FPS, so far I've tested it and it gave me 100% accuracy at improving my gaming experience.

1. Go to your nearest store
2. Buy a decent gaming PC

Can't go wrong. It was proven by experts this method works.

Aggravatorx

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 30, 2013
Are you guys still buying snake oil 😂😂😂😂
There are enough tools in Windows, nVidia and AMD Radeon drivers kit that a gamer can use to optimise gameplay. The rest is just Norton System Insight (I don’t mean to keep mentioning Norton, but it’s just impossible). Symantec launched the very same feature in 2008. Only difference, it doesn’t measure fps and even without System Insight, resource monitor and task manager both do the same + a lot more. The McAfee’s performance booster that is both in Total Protection and LiveSafe, and the gaming edition is merely a CPU priority manager, assigning higher priority to apps where user actively clicks. Nothing new and innovative here and nothing you can’t get with plethora of boosters/optimisers for Windows. When you give process a higher priority, a second GPU, CPU and Optane memory won’t magically appear. It’s not a scam, but it’s not gonna help either. If McAfee was a bit smarter, they could’ve partnered with Steam let’s say and bring some discounts or something... but nah... 😂😂😂😂

If you are looking to use McAfee product, Total Protection and LiveSafe both offer great firewall, web advisor and are still light. McAfee’s lightness is due to the fact that it adapts to your system. For example if you install it on an average laptop, McAfee will scan only on execution. If you put it on a powerful one, it will scan on read/write and execution. Also, for those of you who don’t know, McAfee has 4 scanning engines, using 4 different definition kits and depending on the available resources switches from engine A to engine B. MicroAV is hardly news. On-demand scans are very slow, but hardly load the system. You can do a full scan and watch 8k at the same time.
Although it visibly offers no settings, it manages itself in a smart way. Don’t waste your time with Gamer Security.

YOU hit the subject perfect you dont need this and your so right i do not feel a difference if i had Mcafee full suite or this in fact any program
the only one i noticed was avast just telling me every time i played a game it would ask how did you like gamer mode and did not like a few programs i have annoying the only program i noticed that gave me problems was trend micro 2020 after a few hours of playing it would freeze up on quit mode and felt lag and i have a fast computer but my friend i hope more people wondering about gaming mode read your story first(y)(y)(y)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.