Solved Trouble with "safe search" on a Mac

Infected operating system
macOS High Sierra 10.13.6
Infected device issues
Something called "safe search" appears to have hijacked the Safari web browser. I've spent the morning trying various things such as looking for unwanted extensions etc but nothing found. I deleted Chrome thinking that might be the issue. (demonstrating the limits of my knowledge) I've also sent a file to Malwarebytes technical support at their request. But if you have ideas, I'd be very grateful.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Hello Jack, sorry to be suspicious, it's a horrible world. I had Apple support run diagnostics online and they confirm no Malware. Turns out this might be related to me changing broadband provider. Now looking at that.
No problem, it's good to be suspicious when it comes to the Internet. : P Ok, if you find anything let me know what was the cause.

Reactions: [correlate]

Lostagain

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 21, 2020
Well, all very odd. I switched to Sky broadband recently. It comes with their Broadband Shield as standard. You have to phone them to turn this off. The lady hadn't heard of Google's "safe search" and didn't think it was related. But I turned off the shield anyway, went back into Google and tried for the umpteenth time to get rid of the safe search restriction and - it's gone for now. Interestingly, Apple support were brilliant and said that Malwarebytes is the only service they recommend.

Jack

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 24, 2011
Well, all very odd. I switched to Sky broadband recently. It comes with their Broadband Shield as standard. You have to phone them to turn this off. The lady hadn't heard of Google's "safe search" and didn't think it was related. But I turned off the shield anyway, went back into Google and tried for the umpteenth time to get rid of the safe search restriction and - it's gone for now.
Great, this should help other people with similar issues as yours!
Interestingly, Apple support were brilliant and said that Malwarebytes is the only service they recommend.
Yes, it's a good antivirus but you can try others if you like (Kaspersky, Bitdefender). Malwarebytes has also a free version that allows you to scan your computer but won't protect your computer from malware.

3rd search produces more including "adobe.fpsaud.plist"
This was a malicious file so I would recommend that you install an antivirus. But do keep in mind that when it comes to MacOS, most malware is installed by the user. Basically a malicious site will show fake alerts to trick you to install a malicious program. I would highly recommend that you also install a free adblocker from your browser, this will remove ads from websites and stop malicious sites from redirecting your browser.

Lostagain

Level 1
Thread author
Jan 21, 2020
Great, this should help other people with similar issues as yours!

Yes, it's a good antivirus but you can try others if you like (Kaspersky, Bitdefender). Malwarebytes has also a free version that allows you to scan your computer but won't protect your computer from malware.

This was a malicious file so I would recommend that you install an antivirus. But do keep in mind that when it comes to MacOS, most malware is installed by the user. Basically a malicious site will show fake alerts to trick you to install a malicious program. I would highly recommend that you also install a free adblocker from your browser, this will remove ads from websites and stop malicious sites from redirecting your browser.
Thanks again, I don't know anything about adblockers. I use Safari - do they do their own adblockers?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.