Computer specs
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI X470 GAMING PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB Mini Video Card
Case: Corsair SPEC-DELTA RGB ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply
Notable changes
13/01/19 Set UAC to Always Notify
13/01/19 Update Windows to 1903 version
13/01/19 Install Macrium Reflect
13/01/19 Set up ConfigureDefender => MAX
13/01/19 Enabled Run By Smartscreen
13/01/19 Enabled Password Prompt For Any UAC Access.
13/01/19 Set up ConfigureDefender => High for lower chance of false positive.

truemax

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 29, 2015
Hello

Never really spent too much time protecting my system, since i've been somewhat careful about what am i download and from where.
But these days scammers and other malicious people can easily replicate real website from real one to the point where it's hard to spot the difference.

As much i've been careful about downloads and stuff, i have completely lost whole data 2-3 times. My fault sometimes, sometimes not (installer bricks whole system duo to error etc...)
So finally i'm ready to protect my system as best as i can. Can't have data loss anymore duo to virus or something.

So please let's see what can we do about it.

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, a number of things but first: Windows v. 1909 should be the easiest most painless "upgrade" as it simply activates some features already installed but inactive in v. 1903 (which it seems you're running now). Any reason not to go to 1909? You can also make some adjustments to how updates are delivered--I see you have updates turned off.

Also, if you have an extra HDD or two lying around somewhere, they make great external storage devices. Enclosures can be very inexpensive, you can move your date over to one and then take it offline, which is the safest thing you can do in handling your data. Give it a thought? :)

truemax

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 29, 2015
Well, a number of things but first: Windows v. 1909 should be the easiest most painless "upgrade" as it simply activates some features already installed but inactive in v. 1903 (which it seems you're running now). Any reason not to go to 1909? You can also make some adjustments to how updates are delivered--I see you have updates turned off.

Also, if you have an extra HDD or two lying around somewhere, they make great external storage devices. Enclosures can be very inexpensive, you can move your date over to one and then take it offline, which is the safest thing you can do in handling your data. Give it a thought? :)

Okay. Updated to 1903. For hard drive at the moment i don't have one laying around.What about getting 2TB External one? For complete backing up my C drive (500gb) with OS and other stuff, and D (500gb) for games and stuff.?
What are my options for backing up at the moment? Cloud? Got usb of 16GB somewhere :D

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
As much i've been careful about downloads and stuff, i have completely lost whole data 2-3 times.

I suggest UAC to "Always notify", switching to Standard User Account and adding ConfigurDefender to take advantage of WD's full capabilities.
You may use Windows File History and built-in system imaging for backups, or add Aomei Backerupper or Macrium Reflect, both of which have free versions. I use built-in but I like Aomei too.

Also, there is this neat app RunBySmartscreen for an extra file check.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.