Try2Cry ransomware tries to worm

struppigel

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
This is a small summary of a ransomware analysis I made. It's decryptable.

Try2Cry ransomware adopts USB flash drive spreading using LNK files. The last ransomware that did the same was the infamous Spora. The code of Try2Cry looks oddly familiar, though.

A big portion of my work as malware analyst at G Data is writing detection signatures for our product. One of those signatures checks for a USB worm component that I have seen in certain variants of .NET based RATs like njRAT and BlackNet RAT. When this worm signature hit on an unidentified sample[1], I got curios. It was a .NET ransomware that seemed oddly familiar to me. I couldn’t put a finger on it yet.

staticanalysis.png

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.