Trying out Shadow Defender, 30 day test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

acme

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 29, 2012
Hi,
After download, should I see all the exclusions or do I need to add them in? When signing in I saw my antivirus, Google, CCleaner ...etc. software on a list, but don't see them now. Just wondering, first time downloader for this. Other words, doe's it download what's on your desktop to the 'exclusions' when you install Shadow Defender? ;)

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Hello @acme.
Having used Shadow Defender for some time now, I personally have not used their exclusions option. I perform all updates I wish to keep outside of Shadow Mode, and have simply downloaded while in Shadow Mode in order to test drive programs & games which have later disappeared upon exiting Shadow Mode.

Here is a thread which addresses some of your questions:
http://malwaretips.com/threads/shadow-defender-exclusions.12727/

I hope the posts can help.;)

H

hjlbx

Hi,
After download, should I see all the exclusions or do I need to add them in? When signing in I saw my antivirus, Google, CCleaner ...etc. software on a list, but don't see them now. Just wondering, first time downloader for this. Other words, doe's it download what's on your desktop to the 'exclusions' when you install Shadow Defender? ;)

Shadow Defender does not automatically create exclusions.

I suggest you do not even attempt to set up exclusions as a new user. I am experienced SD user and never bother with exclusions since they create a security risk.

See @Umbra's SD guide here: http://malwaretips.com/threads/how-to-set-up-shadow-defender-for-convenience-max-protection.12778/

acme

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 29, 2012
Hello @acme.
Having used Shadow Defender for some time now, I personally have not used their exclusions option. I perform all updates I wish to keep outside of Shadow Mode, and have simply downloaded while in Shadow Mode in order to test drive programs & games which have later disappeared upon exiting Shadow Mode.

Here is a thread which addresses some of your questions:
http://malwaretips.com/threads/shadow-defender-exclusions.12727/

I hope the posts can help.;)

I think I used the wrong word. I meant all the programs I use, Explorer, Google, Revo...etc , will they be protected by Shadow Defender and I don't have to add them, just click on 'Enter Shadow Mode' after installing it. :oops:

Reactions: Der.Reisende
H

hjlbx

I think I used the wrong word. I meant all the programs I use, Explorer, Google, Revo...etc , will they be protected by Shadow Defender and I don't have to add them, just click on 'Enter Shadow Mode' after installing it. :oops:

Entire system protected when Shadow Mode is engaged ! - only exception is certain sectors of MBR for technical reasons only.

One other thing... if you use "Write to cache..." then your system might misbehave in Shadow Mode. You can try it... it won't hurt anything. Plus, you won't know if it is a potential problem unless you evaluate it. My specific system doesn't like Write to cache so I don't use that setting... and SD performs flawlessly. Just a FYI that setting is really for systems with a lot of excess RAM. AMD systems generally don't like it either...

Use SD and enjoy... best security soft in existence. Just my informed and unhumble opinion.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Exclusions are a little complicated part and sometimes for safety precautions, perform them outside. + Risks of viruses enter to your folder where you put in the exception list.

Better yet put your files on a secondary partition and retain your main to go under Shadow Mode.

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Lol!!:D
Yes, hjlbx's opinion is well informed, deservedly unhumble, and best of all Correct!:p
You & your system shall be safe from unwanted changed while in Shadow Defender's virtual time machine. Just remember, @acme, to step outside of your Shadow Mode fall out shelter for updates, and to come up for air from time to time!:D

By the way, if you come to like it as much as we hope you shall, there is a Free Giveaway for Shadow Defender going on now until the end of August, 2015!:):) http://malwaretips.com/threads/shadow-defender-giveaway.49024/

I

illumination

Your whole system will be protected while in Shadow mode. When you set an exclusion, it allows it to actually write/save to the system like it would normally when not in shadow mode. For example, your security downloads a set of definitions, and you have it excluded in SD, when you restart the machine those definitions will still be there. If you did not set the exclusions for it, it would be wiped, and when you restarted in normal mode you would have to download it again. I hope this helps you better understand setting exclusions.

A tip: When i used SD, i would start the machine, make sure everything was up to date, including windows updates, security updates ect, then manually start Shadow mode, and do what ever work i intended to do while in it. At one point i set exclusions, but it is a daunting task finding all the correct files for each application you want to allow, to set it properly, and not something a new user would want to take on.

acme

Level 1
Thread author
Apr 29, 2012
Your whole system will be protected while in Shadow mode. When you set an exclusion, it allows it to actually write/save to the system like it would normally when not in shadow mode. For example, your security downloads a set of definitions, and you have it excluded in SD, when you restart the machine those definitions will still be there. If you did not set the exclusions for it, it would be wiped, and when you restarted in normal mode you would have to download it again. I hope this helps you better understand setting exclusions.

A tip: When i used SD, i would start the machine, make sure everything was up to date, including windows updates, security updates ect, then manually start Shadow mode, and do what ever work i intended to do while in it. At one point i set exclusions, but it is a daunting task finding all the correct files for each application you want to allow, to set it properly, and not something a new user would want to take on.

Thanks for the info. So all updates have to be when you aren't in 'Shadow Mode' :) What is MBR ?

Last edited:

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for the info. So all updates have to be when you aren't in 'Shadow Mode' :) What is MBR ?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record
A master boot record (MBR) is a special type of boot sector at the very beginning of partitioned computer mass storage devices like fixed disks or removable drives intended for use with IBM PC-compatible systems and beyond.:)

H

hjlbx

Is Shadow Defender good protection?

One of the very best.
  • Simple to Understand and Operate
  • Reliable
  • High Compatibility
  • Low System Impact
  • Very Robust Protection
Every AV vendor out there wishes users would say the same about their product(s)... :D

I would go so far as to say this - if - you used it properly, while adhering to reasonable daily computing habits, Shadow Defender is very likely all you would ever need...

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
One of the very best.
  • Simple to Understand and Operate
  • Reliable
  • High Compatibility
  • Low System Impact
  • Very Robust Protection
Every AV vendor out there wishes users would say the same about their product(s)... :D

I would go so far as to say this - if - you used it properly, while adhering to reasonable daily computing habits, Shadow Defender is very likely all you would ever need...

Read trough this topic, got quite interested, might test this one. What about Windows Updates? Do you need to exclude something in SD?

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
SD have options to keep files when you exit Shadow Mode.
Just right click on that file/folder and click on "Commit Now" (about that).
When you do that files/folder will be there when you exit Shadow Mode.

5236_7_light_virtualization_software_review_and.jpg

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Av Gurus

Level 29
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Sep 22, 2014
I have Win 10 with Shadow Defender.
I want make dual boot with Linux.
Is it gona be ok or should I make some changes?

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.