Trying to protect my sister in law's computer

jadinolf

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
AppGuard is a great option :) in lock down mode it won't let her to install anything :) it gives topnotch protection without daily updates :)
( i know its not free but still its a great option)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not familiar with it but I will check it out.

Need to get that laptop in tomorrow's mail.

Appreciate your post.

jadinolf

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 20, 2014
appgard is excellent soft, i don't need AVs with it
I checked it out and, yes, it looks excellent BUT I've already spent enough on this project.
For the record, I decided on the Pro Version of Malwarebytes Antimalware.
Thank you all for your suggestions.
The box is packed and ready to go off to Connecticut U.S.A.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
No need to add a bunch of advanced security tools- create "Limited User Account" do not give out the Admin account password.
Install programs for the user on the Admin account and install a light AV like Avast or MSE (Windows Defender on Win8).

On Limited User account, the user can do all of the basic functions online but can not install, run or update new programs including malicious files. I have never seen a system get infected running on a "Limited User" account.

This is what I did for my mother and she has not had one single infection in 5 years now.
Of coarse this will not protect the user from phishing sites that steal passwords, identity thief, or online shopping, only common sense will protect against that. But the system will be fully protected.

Enjoy!! :D

D

Deleted member 178

No need to add a bunch of advanced security tools- create "Limited User Account" do not give out the Admin account password.
Install programs for the user on the Admin account and install a light AV like Avast or MSE (Windows Defender on Win8).

On Limited User account, the user can do all of the basic functions online but can not install, run or update new programs including malicious files. I have never seen a system get infected running on a "Limited User" account.

i agree

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
The box is packed and ready to go off to Connecticut U.S.A.
{in reponse to Umbra's 'I agree'}
Me too!:) I realize the box is already packed, but...
It might be worth opening just to add some of the niceties Littlebits mentions below.

Either way, it's a fine selfless thing you're doing,:cool: ..and very MT of you!;):D

This is what I did for my mother and she has not had one single infection in 5 years now.
Of coarse this will not protect the user from phishing sites that steal passwords, identity thief, or online shopping, only common sense will protect against that. But the system will be fully protected.

Enjoy!! :D

Well spoken!!!:):)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.