Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
I see must initialize the HD to see it is drive manager
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
I try to resolve with drive management
A friend wants me to save the data from an old IDE hd...so I have plugged it into my windows 7 computer with an external USB system. The drive powers up but Computer does not see it. So I go into drive management and I was look for it when I found it it says I must initialize the drive before windows will recognize it. The problem is I am trying to save the data and I am sure this will format over it.

Any suggestions on how I can get to this data. According to my friend the drive as fine before he just got a new computer a couple of yrs ago and pulled out his drive to keep it and get to the data sometime later. Well later has come and I am trying to get to that data?

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hello :)

Is that an enclosure External HDD you use? That suppose to work well at any variants of Windows operating system in order to retrieve those files.

Make sure the cables are not malfunction in order to access the old HDD. Try on other computers if you can access it.

Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
There are only two types of hard drives- those that have failed and those that are going to fail. I think yours is the former (bad Partition table, probably). As it is an old IDE drive, you no doubt can't install it as an internal drive in your computer (that would be the first choice) and as you noted initializing it will zap current data.

Personally I would download and try to retrieve the data with EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard Free Edition. There is a setting for "Lost Disk Drives" that may assist you (or may not).

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
I will try that thanks
Do you think I would have anyluck using a linux os to try to retrieve the data?

I will also try the internal drive thing in a test computer I have.
thanks

Upvote 0

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
That would be the best (and only) other opinion. Sometimes a linux distro will see a drive Windows can't, but this really depends on how boinked the drive is.

Good luck and remember it could have been worse- it could have been your files.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Hello :)

Is that an enclosure External HDD you use? That suppose to work well at any variants of Windows operating system in order to retrieve those files.

Make sure the cables are not malfunction in order to access the old HDD. Try on other computers if you can access it.
No is is just a system of cables and attachments to use to read an internal drive you have taken out of a computer ...usb

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Hi! You could give this try. It has worked for me. It your drive isn't completely toast it might work.
There are two pages to this link. How to install and 2nd page is how to use Puppy Love! Will just cost you a CD to try this.;)
PS You also might try giving the drive a letter in disk management.
https://www.winhelp.us/recover-files-using-puppy-linux.html
Well it was when I was trying to get the drive a letter in disk management that it said it needed to initialize the disk...so that is out.
Also, the last hd drive problem I had ..remember where the new drive would not recognize. I tried to download puppy love following the link and it never gives me that version so I downloaded a different one :)
I will try it to see if it will work ...crossing my fingers

Upvote 0

jim lin

Level 8
Aug 6, 2012
nice donetao ;)

if you can boot from a Linux boot cd you might be able mount the hard drive if Puppy see's it

if Puppy see's it and you can mount the hard drive just copy the things you need to the other
pc it is booted from

:)

James

Reactions: donetao
Upvote 0

Paul B.

Level 4
Verified
Dec 21, 2014
Linux is a good thought, as is an internal hookup. In addition to Puppy, and older free version of Parted Magic is gold.

I have a usb adapter that doesn't handle all WD drives. Any other drive, and half the WD drives, it works famously, but for some WDs I have to use a diff adapter. So if you have another adapter you could try it.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
You know those are great suggestions and I often try things like that too. But in this case I switched to my backup computer to use puppy linux and did get the dvd put in ..in time. so it booted to windows ...I thought what the heck let me try it with the usb adabter hookup and wow this computer read the hard drive. I got to the data and saved it all the person. So crazy all the ways we have to try things.

So everyone thanks for the great help and tips ...once again it was trying all the ways until one worked...i know someone had suggested trying a different computer. Anyway ...the problem was solved :)

Upvote 0

WinXPert

Level 25
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jan 9, 2013
Puppy linux is a good choice, but be warned, Rox File Manager sucks but it works.

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Puppy linux is a good choice, but be warned, Rox File Manager sucks but it works.
Thanks WinxPert....I actually use ubuntu more but puppy was suggested as one of best ones to try to retrieve that data from the old IDE hd :) ...But I did manage to finally get to it

Reactions: WinXPert
Upvote 0

donetao

Level 20
Verified
Sep 7, 2014
Hi Here's what I use! It has always worked for me and it's less than 10$$
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...gclid=CMOslsGxh8MCFSwLMgodnwwASQ&gclsrc=aw.ds
Capture48.JPG

Upvote 0

Rozesky2

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 12, 2014
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.