Tuning up utilities can corrupt a security product?

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hey this is a paranoid cuestion i am using now AVG tuneup and emsisoft, i like AVG tuneup because it automatizes the maintaince of my machine and some tools "Disk cleaner, Disk defrag, and disk doctor and disk analizer" are very useful to me but i am worry about that programs delete some "registry key" or "file" used by emsisoft and it can corrupt the product.

I think Security products are developed to not corrupt by malware and follow that argument a security product can not be corrupt for ccleaner or AVG tuneup or another product, but what do you think?
Am I in risk? Can a tuneup product corrupt security product? I see my system works ok but i am worried about my software

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Hey this is a paranoid cuestion i am using now AVG tuneup and emsisoft, i like AVG tuneup because it automatizes the maintaince of my machine and some tools "Disk cleaner, Disk defrag, and disk doctor and disk analizer" are very useful to me but i am worry about that programs delete some "registry key" or "file" used by emsisoft and it can corrupt the product.
AVG PC TuneUp only deletes unneeded keys and never anything that is needed, so you have nothing to worry about.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I think that but i like more opinions thanks bro
I've been using AVG PC TuneUp/TuneUp Utilities for many years, starting when it is only available in German language, and in that time I've only seen a single false positive from the registry cleaner.

Some people will comment that all cleanup tools other than CCleaner are unsafe, etc. But, that's not that case based on my experience over many years.

Last edited:

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
Hey i think i dont recive notifications about answers in this post but i read something interesting and worry. I do the same cuestion on emsisoft forums and they answer me "Every app who not are blacklisted for they can modify the emsisoft registry entries and corrupt install" Its worry imagine that Tuneup apps are very extended and 1 FP can trash a security product. Dont you think this is inaceptable or bad? I can disable registry cleaners but is worry

I need help to know if Emsisoft have any issue whith AVG Tuneup
Me:
Now do you think a registry cleaner can delete a important part of emsi software?
They:
It is technically possible for applications that are automatically allowed by our Behavior Blocker to modify our registry entries. So yes, a registry cleaner can mess up just about anything.
default_wink.png

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Yes, most AVs are self-protected, but all it takes is to damage something, they are dependent on, like SmartService malware did. That is the reason, why I do not like security products, which are too dependant, like AVG or Avast require BFE service, Hitman requires "internet", Sophos needs IE browser, and etc.

SmartService malware crippled all AVs by simply blocking certificates: Remove The Requested Resource is in Use Error (Removal Guide)

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I think the cleaner not have to be safe, i think the security product have to be safe, and i think emsisoft is a good software but i think they must be work harder, and if another products are "dependent", are unsecure. A years ago everyone use ccleaner to remove malware traces they can trash their system? they can trash their security products whitout know? i think a system must to be solid to resist any cleanup tool but a security product too
I know emsi not have autoprotect module visible. Now i am worried again

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
I think a few bytes dont damage anyone but my worry is that programs can corrupt a security tool like emsi or another av. I think too that programs have another utilities like cpu and memory optimization, and pc feels better smooth sometimes. But as I say my worry is a security product can be too weak to be corrupt for this programs

Reactions: frogboy

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
"Tune Up" programs are basically snake oil programs that do not improve PC performance. I wouldn't use them. Orphaned registry entries have no impact on your system beyond taking a few extra bytes of storage space.
They can increase performance. They won't live up to claims of making your computer run like new, but they can help. Most tuneup programs do more than just removing orphaned registry keys. I would say that 99.9% of the time, removing so called registry errors will not lead to a noticeable improvement in PC performance. However, once I did get a big increase in performance from cleaning the registry.

Aktiffiso

Level 8
Thread author
Verified
Aug 24, 2013
They can increase performance. They won't live up to claims of making your computer run like new, but they can help. Most tuneup programs do more than just removing orphaned registry keys. I would say that 99.9% of the time, removing so called registry errors will not lead to a noticeable improvement in PC performance. However, once I did get a big increase in performance from cleaning the registry.

What mean whith you get a big increse in perfomance from cleaning the registry? did you mean clean manually?

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
To answer the OP's question, yes, they can corrupt installed security products, but only if these security products don't have self-defense or that self-defense is defective. :)

Regarding registry cleaning software, they can greatly improve performance only if certain "dead" registry entries are causing performance issues. From what I've read, in typical situations, registry cleaning will only give the PC 1%, at the most, of performance improvement (and this is already with thousands of dead registry entries).

And one of the reasons why registry cleaning is not recommended anymore is that the risk of registry corruption overly outweighs the gains of using it. :)

I think Security products are developed to not corrupt by malware and follow that argument a security product can not be corrupt for ccleaner or AVG tuneup or another product, but what do you think?

Malware or malicious attacks can be developed that can disable security products partially or completely even with self-protections in place.

Tuneup utilities rarely cause issues with security products.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
"Tune Up" programs are basically snake oil programs that do not improve PC performance.
I have just did a clean install of Windows Creators update 3 times and I could not get updates to work, no matter what, until I used CCleaner with WiseCare, reg cleaning included, it "magically" fixed it. I was surprised myself. I should have tried it before reinstalling, it would have saved me a ton of time. :D

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have just did a clean install of Windows Creators update 3 times and I could not get updates to work, no matter what, until I used CCleaner with WiseCare, reg cleaning included, it "magically" fixed it. I was surprised myself. I should have tried it before reinstalling, it would have saved me a ton of time. :D
That's pretty interesting. Any possible explanations beyond the realm of magic?
Update issues are pretty inexplicable, I admit.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.