Q&A Turning off "Use Secure DNS" in the latest Chrome version.

amirr

Level 13
Jan 26, 2020
I installed Google Chrome as my secondary browser.
Is it okay to turn this off? I am not well aware of DNS and like that.
Thanks.
1614180127462.png

TairikuOkami

Level 31
Verified
Content Creator
May 13, 2017

It is up to you really, I myself would prefer DoT or dnscrypt over DoH, but given the lack of a choice, DoH is somewhat better than the default DNS, at least in preventing some MITM.

As to the question itself, I am intrigued, since I have installed Windows Dev just to get Windows DoH support and I wonder: Is it better to let Windows handle DoH or Chrome? 🤔

P.S.: DoQ would be probably the best choice, but given how "fast" is MS in introducing new features, that will not be a question for another decade. 😂

Attachments

• capture_02242021_173506.jpg
    capture_02242021_173506.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 119

Marko :)

Level 18
Verified
Aug 12, 2015

It is up to you really, I myself would prefer DoT or dnscrypt over DoH, but given the lack of a choice, DoH is somewhat better than the default DNS, at least in preventing some MITM.

As to the question itself, I am intrigued, since I have installed Windows Dev just to get Windows DoH support and I wonder: Is it better to let Windows handle DoH or Chrome? 🤔

P.S.: DoQ would be probably the best choice, but given how "fast" is MS in introducing new features, that will not be a question for another decade. 😂
Once it arrives in stable version, I'd use the option built-in Windows because then all programs and apps will use DoH, not just that one particular app.