App Review Twister Antivirus 8 Test

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
R

Rodney74

Another note by reviewer offering more insight to what this AV offers. Looks like it may include a firewall too, along with the 49.00 lifetime license, this is very tempting:

Twister Antivirus is a security solution that aims to provide you with the basic tools for keeping your computer safe from virus attacks. It is a flexible program designed to detect threats and remove them with minimum effort.

The app includes antivirus protection tools and firewall components that enable you to protect your registry and other private information from being modified or accessed. You can customize the level of protection by selecting the components that you want to keep active.

As most antivirus applications, it allows you to scan the entire computer or only the memory and the OS folder in order to detect imminent threats. The user can also scan a certain folder or file by using the context menu.

An interesting feature is the ability to "set traps" for preventing threats that are detected and removed repeatedly. These traps can be configured to prevent a certain file or registry item from being created, modified or removed without your consent. The same approach can be applied for the computer processes.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Another reviewer says the following:

Filseclab Twister Antivirus offers strong protection against all types of malware using an innovative technology.

The software uses anti malware definitions, EVANET Cloud Security, Intelligent Proactive Defense Wall, and Advanced Heuristic detection of known as well as new malwares.

The Malware Virtual Machine™ simulates a real environment which can induce malware to reveal it's behavior before it compromises your system.

Each program is monitored in depth using the Black-box and the Super Rollback module restores every derivative including memory objects after malicious activity is detected.

Its Privacy Protection module protects your documents from theft.

The software uses the computers resources intelligently, and every scanned file is cached automatically which dramatically improves the overall performance.

The software updates several times a day to ensure the most up-to-date protection.
I can't replicate because I have not tested the software and keep in mind that the only certainty is your subjective opinion, in any context.
But as I said above, Twister is out-of-date by at least 4/5 years and this is the equivalent of prehistoric era in computer science.
It means nothing that the signatures DB is updated on a daily basis, new malware act and infect in an advanced way by applying unfamiliar techniques poorly documented years ago, fileless malware, new APT, scripts with mixed and encrypted code, difficult to detect, even for top and really updated AVs.

PS: and please note that it is not a free software.

R

Rodney74

I can't replicate because I have not tested the software and keep in mind that the only certainty is your subjective opinion, in any context.
But as I said above, Twister is out-of-date by at least 4/5 years and this is the equivalent of prehistoric era in computer science.
It means nothing that the signatures DB is updated on a daily basis, new malware act and infect in an advanced way by applying unfamiliar techniques poorly documented years ago, fileless malware, new APT, scripts with mixed and encrypted code, difficult to detect, even for top and really updated AVs.

PS: and please note that it is not a free software.

Thanks for the info: Can I ask a couple questions?

1). Who said it was free (offering a 50% discount signifies, that I understand it is not free)

2). IF the software has not been updated, yet the signatures are updated several times per day, disqualifies this software in your eyes, this leads me to ask, does this apply to other security manufacturers also.

If it does then you'll notice a highly praised firewall, by Comodo went several years without an update, and according to some moderators here they have gone 10 years without fixing flaws, and yet we endorse and use Comodo Firewall.

If we apply your logic or lack thereof, or my huge mistake in making this response, then why can't we take another look at this Twister AV ?

Reactions: Thirio

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Thanks for the info: Can I ask a couple questions?

1). Who said it was free (offering a 50% discount signifies, that I understand it is not free)

2). IF the software has not been updated, yet the signatures are updated several times per day, disqualifies this software in your eyes, this leads me to ask, does this apply to other security manufacturers also.

If it does then you'll notice a highly praised firewall, by Comodo went several years without an update, and according to some moderators here they have gone 10 years without fixing flaws, and yet we endorse and use Comodo Firewall.

If we apply your logic or lack thereof, or my huge mistake in making this response, then why can't we take another look at this Twister AV ?
1) Indeed it is not free as I said.
2) I would never use security tools so obsolete for the reasons mentioned above and for possible unresolved vulnerability.
I've never used Comodo, but if it has not been updated for years, this just confirms what I have said.

Reactions: _CyberGhosT_
R

Rodney74

1) Indeed it is not free as I said.
2) I would never use security tools so obsolete for the reasons mentioned above and for possible unresolved vulnerability.
I've never used Comodo, but if it has not been updated for years, this just confirms what I have said.

But many people do use Comodo, and the same criteria IF applied to Comodo as to twistrer AV would mean no one would use Comodo.

And NOT ONLY Comodo, but many other go a significant amount of time without software updates.

You didn't answer my questions, you proceeded with your logic, as a car smashing through a road block...

But I understand your point.

Thanks

R

Rodney74

I installed the trial version.

Its doing a scan right now, and is using 1.4% of the CPU and 1.2 MB of Memory (I have 32 GB of Ram on board).

While it is scanning I am opening different applications, they open as if nothing is running, very fast and very smooth.

Thirio

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 3, 2017
Twister uses a multi-layered approach similar to Comodo (which is highly recommended on this forum, and for a good reason). You have signatures, HIPS, virtualization, static and dynamic heuristics, registry protection and so on. The signatures are updated on a daily basis but the heuristics are more valuable than that. Any unknown file is opened in a virtual environment where it can do no harm to the user's computer where it can be run for 1-10 seconds to analyze the file's behavior. If the file demonstrates malicious characteristics it will be detected as a suspicious new threat and be ready for removal. This prepares for new malware in the future which is not yet in their signatures as of yet(doesn't matter if they haven't updated the GUI in 3 years). I believe the heuristic detection can also be updated through their daily signature updates, I doubt they are only updating their signatures and forgetting everything else. They have to be smarter than that to innovate these new ideas into their product in the first place. The product seems to function well. You should also take into account that because they are not so popular, malware authors will target them less. They will target the AV companies with a larger user base before Twister, such as Microsoft, Avast, Avira, Norton, Eset, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, so on.

In this case I think its important not to judge a book by its cover. Would you rather use a signature based scanner that gets a graphical update every 3 months, or a complete solution which can detect new emerging threats constantly, but hasn't seen a makeover in 3 years? I'd rather have meaningful updates that serve me a purpose rather than just bug fixes and unwanted features. Quality over quantity.

R

Rodney74

This is not my logic, it is a concrete fact.
If you are a programmer then you should understand how things work.
If not, feel free to think otherwise.

IF it is as you say concrete fact, then it applies to other software. In other words IF concrete fact said it was dangerous to fly we would have to apply that to commercial and private flights. Not just one plane, but to all planes.

So if old software is a threat, then I assume YOU would apply this to any other software we discuss here at MWT or it is unjust to isolate the criticism to just one software developer THIS TOO IS A FACT.

R

Rodney74

Twister uses a multi-layered approach similar to Comodo (which is highly recommended on this forum, and for a good reason). You have signatures, HIPS, virtualization, static and dynamic heuristics, registry protection and so on. The signatures are updated on a daily basis but the heuristics are more valuable than that. Any unknown file is opened in a virtual environment where it can do no harm to the user's computer where it can be run for 1-10 seconds to analyze the file's behavior. If the file demonstrates malicious characteristics it will be detected as a suspicious new threat and be ready for removal. This prepares for new malware in the future which is not yet in their signatures as of yet(doesn't matter if they haven't updated the GUI in 3 years). I believe the heuristic detection can also be updated through their daily signature updates, I doubt they are only updating their signatures and forgetting everything else. They have to be smarter than that to innovate these new ideas into their product in the first place. The product seems to function well. You should also take into account that because they are not so popular, malware authors will target them less. They will target the AV companies with a larger user base before Twister, such as Microsoft, Avast, Avira, Norton, Eset, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, so on.

In this case I think its important not to judge a book by its cover. Would you rather use a signature based scanner that gets a graphical update every 3 months, or a complete solution which can detect new emerging threats constantly, but hasn't seen a makeover in 3 years? I'd rather have meaningful updates that serve me a purpose rather than just bug fixes and unwanted features. Quality over quantity.

Smartest thing I have read this week. Thank You for polishing my intended conclusions...I was getting no where with the other gentleman.

Winter Soldier

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
IF it is as you say concrete fact, then it applies to other software. In other words IF concrete fact said it was dangerous to fly we would have to apply that to commercial and private flights. Not just one plane, but to all planes.

So if old software is a threat, then I assume YOU would apply this to any other software we discuss here at MWT or it is unjust to isolate the criticism to just one software developer THIS TOO IS A FACT.
I wonder to myself if you read my post or maybe my English is not so good.
Yes I apply this to all the security tools as I said above...

R

Rodney74

I would also like to state I believe you are right in your assessment of the updates being done holistically. Why? Because a couple years ago there was a complaint that the software ate ram and processor power, but I just ran a scan and it used 1.4 % CPU and 1.2 MB Memory.

R

Rodney74

It's VERY FAST on my PC, and the reviewers points along with the following statement makes me think it is very worth while: I hope someone here will test it...

"Twister uses a multi-layered approach similar to Comodo (which is highly recommended on this forum, and for a good reason).

You have signatures, HIPS, virtualization, static and dynamic heuristics, plus registry protection.

The signatures are updated on a daily basis but the heuristics are more valuable than that.

Any unknown file is opened in a virtual environment where it can do no harm to the user's computer where it can be run for 1-10 seconds to analyze the file's behavior.

If the file demonstrates malicious characteristics it will be detected as a suspicious new threat and be ready for removal".

R

Rodney74

Thirio says:

This was a family computer that was used 7-8 years ago which was badly infected while using security essentials and has been sitting for a while since then.

So far I've scanned this computer with just about everything you can imagine.

And still Twister is managing to clean up after top names like Avira, Bitdefender, Kaspersky, Avast.

It's not done yet but already the computer feels twice as fast. You weren't able to do any browsing on this computer before it was so slow.

But more importantly here you can see the detection mechanisms in action.

You can see the heuristics being used more than anything.

Files detected as "iGene" are probably polymorphic viruses which are hard to detect by signatures.

And the "Virus" detections are just known bad files.

The computer has sped up tremendously. One thing I can point out is it found "FLV blaster" which is confirmed bad and shouldn't be there.

It also detected a fake "explorer.exe" virus in the Windows folder. Kaspersky missed all of these...

edit: it has found over 120 threats in separate scan windows.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.