Adguard Chrome Extension
Ublock Origin Chrome Extension
What I am most interested about
Learning curve (Ease of Use)
Graphical User Interface
Exclusive Features & Functionality

Malakke

Level 5
Hi guys. I'm a longtime Ublock Origin user, but lastly i'm using Adguard Chrome extension and i've found its capabilities superior to UBO, especially in:

- Stealth Mode: very useful to avoid cookies and tracking
- Specific language filter: select automatic filters according site language you are visiting.
- Better adblocking in some sites, e.g. inoreader.com, theverge.com, etc..
- Better user interface
- Better malware protection

As cons:

- Not open source (privacy concerns?)
- Slow browsing than Ubo
- Less customizable than Ubo about blocking scripts (by domain, frames, ....)

Your opinions will welcome ;)

Thanks

Regards

Last edited:

Robbie

Level 29
Verified
Content Creator
Malware Tester
I'm gonna be straight honest with you.

I was an AdGuard for PC user. Ended up uninstalling because it generally slowed down browsing. Upon recommendations, I installed AdGuard extension and for my surprise, it had a lot of nice features as you mention. But browsing was still slow. So I installed uBlock, added tons of filters for privacy and ads and yet it's as fast as an extension-less browser.

Malakke

Level 5
I'm gonna be straight honest with you.

I was an AdGuard for PC user. Ended up uninstalling because it generally slowed down browsing. Upon recommendations, I installed AdGuard extension and for my surprise, it had a lot of nice features as you mention. But browsing was still slow. So I installed uBlock, added tons of filters for privacy and ads and yet it's as fast as an extension-less browser.
Yes, slow browsing is the big cons. However, in my desktop PC speed browsing is fine, but in my laptop (CoreDuo, 3Mb RAM) really there is a noticeable difference. Which filters are you using in UBO?

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 22
Verified
As user of both extensions my current favorite is uBlock Origin.
AdGuard does cosmetic filtering better and if used on Microsoft Edge browser you also get some blocking from AdGuard based on Google Safe Browsing.
uBlock Origin can block more based on your configuration, has less influence on your browsing speed and can use AdGuard's filter lists.

Capture.PNG

Malakke

Level 5
IMHO, the slowdown in browsing using Adguard for Windows comes from 3rd party AV web filtering.
If you use Defender, the slowdown is less noticeable.
I'm using Defender. I've noticed that stealth mode slows down browsing too.

E.g. Try to open nytimes.com with UBO and Adguard. Difference is bigger than i expected... You'll be surprised.

vaccineboy

Level 2
Adguard browser extension is open source!
It's slower yes, probably because of the safe browsing module which sends out hash of URLs to check against online blacklist, but you can disable.
The desktop version is better and much faster than the extension one. It filters before the web content entering the browser. I didn't truly understand the difference until I realized some ads entered the browser (and blocked by the extension) but was never there if using the desktop version. So the desktop version is more efficient.
Adguard filters are more optimized.
uBo is more configurable no doubt. And I do like uBo's UI more, simple, straightforward.

Edit: you can add AdGuard filter lists in uBo but there are some difference in syntax so uBo would not utilize the filters fully.

More monitoring stuff you enabled, more time a page will load.
Yeah, seriously people need to stop stacking up security extensions in the browser as well as filter lists in the security extension. Experts in this forum should educate people towards efficiency instead of scare them into the miserable sluggishness.

Last edited:

Moonhorse

Level 27
Verified
Content Creator
Stealth mode on adguard extension works on some filterlists @ browserleaks

Either one i use i end up having more filters on adguard and that tend to slow browsing a bit compared to ublock origin ( not worrying thought)

oldschool

Level 38
Verified
You didn't ask, but if you're not using dynamic filtering I suggest trying Edge Chromium's built-in tracking protection. Paired with Privacy Possum it's a very good set-and-forget setup. It has 3 levels of filtering, the 3rd of which should rid you completely of ads. It also features monitoring/setting exclusions directly from the address bar.

Malakke

Level 5
Adguard browser extension is open source!
It's slower yes, probably because of the safe browsing module which sends out hash of URLs to check against online blacklist, but you can disable.
The desktop version is better and much faster than the extension one. It filters before the web content entering the browser. I didn't truly understand the difference until I realized some ads entered the browser (and blocked by the extension) but was never there if using the desktop version. So the desktop version is more efficient.
Adguard filters are more optimized.
uBo is more configurable no doubt. And I do like uBo's UI more, simple, straightforward.

Edit: you can add AdGuard filter lists in uBo but there are some difference in syntax so uBo would not utilize the filters fully.

Yeah, seriously people need to stop stacking up security extensions in the browser as well as filter lists in the security extension. Experts in this forum should educate people towards efficiency instead of scare them into the miserable sluggishness.
Thanks for the tip. I've disabled safe browsing and now is as fast as Ubo.

Edit: i've enabled again safe browsing and replace English Filter by Easy List... and it seems is snappier than before.

Last edited:
Reactions: vaccineboy