Battle Ublock Origin vs Adguard Chrome extension

Most interested about
  1. Ease of use
  2. Design of UI
  3. Exclusive Features

Malakke

Level 5
Jan 29, 2013
Hi guys. I'm a longtime Ublock Origin user, but lastly i'm using Adguard Chrome extension and i've found its capabilities superior to UBO, especially in:

- Stealth Mode: very useful to avoid cookies and tracking
- Specific language filter: select automatic filters according site language you are visiting.
- Better adblocking in some sites, e.g. inoreader.com, theverge.com, etc..
- Better user interface
- Better malware protection

As cons:

- Not open source (privacy concerns?)
- Slow browsing than Ubo
- Less customizable than Ubo about blocking scripts (by domain, frames, ....)

Your opinions will welcome ;)

Thanks

Regards

Last edited:

Jan Willy

Level 7
Jul 5, 2019
Pay to whitelist a webpage, a hilarious business model. I also do not like misleading advertisements, like 0€ per month for free premium (but only for 30 days). Looks phishy overall. ⚠️
I don't share your bad impression. However further discussion would be off-topic.
Edit: I don't like browser-extensions at all, but that's also a different story.

Last edited:
Reactions: SecurityNightmares

HarborFront

Level 59
Verified
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I saw another extension here: Ninja Cookie | Opt out of non-essential cookies and automatically remove cookie popups.
The difference with I don't care about cookies is that it not only removes cookiebanners but also rejects the use of non-essential cookies. I haven't tried out it yet.
Its privacy policy don't look good. I'll stick with "I don't care about cookies"

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Feb 7, 2014
Ublock never include or never was or could block cookies now that is misleading to tell people it does, on the other hand Umatrix blocks cookies I'll post an image to settle peoples mind. The below image is Umatrix, Ublock never could do that.

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    14.5 KB · Views: 251
Last edited:
Reactions: Malakke

Jan Willy

Level 7
Jul 5, 2019
Ublock never include or never was or could block cookies now that is misleading to tell people it does, on the other hand Umatrix blocks cookies I'll post an image to settle peoples mind. The below image is Umatrix, Ublock never could do that.
On MT I've never seen someone who claims that uBlock blocks cookies. Every browser has the possibility of cookie management. So why should we use uMatrix for that?

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
Jan 8, 2011
Why Adguard Adblocker (extension) is better than uBlock Origin: Most user friendly choice.

Best for:
  • New users, busy people
  • Ease of use
  • Users who don't want to deal with broken websites
  • Balanced settings with changeable options (ie. toggle for search ads)

Yes, uBlock Origin may be more capable, but it's not the most user friendly for all the types of users.

ErzCrz

Level 9
Verified
Aug 19, 2019
I'm trialing adguard at the moment but I think I still prefer ublock medium mode with the noop rules. Just some pages with more ads on them are a bit slow to load with Adguard though adguard blocks some 225 elements compared to uBO of just 14. Trying to find a happy medium and more of a set and forget option.

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Feb 7, 2014
For the record, I like ublock features more, especially that it shows, how many filters are actually used, so it helps to avoid obsolete filters. But neither of those two is able to block all cookie notices lately (because of a chrome update?). When I use "I don't care about cookies" filter, they are not blocked, but when I use "I don't care about cookies" extension, they are.
This is the post that I was talking about no need to get all fired up.
Ublock Origin performs great but with in what it was design to do. Thank you

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    5.8 KB · Views: 232