Battle Ublock Origin vs Adguard Chrome extension

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Pay to whitelist a webpage, a hilarious business model. I also do not like misleading advertisements, like 0€ per month for free premium (but only for 30 days). Looks phishy overall. ⚠️
I don't share your bad impression. However further discussion would be off-topic.
Edit: I don't like browser-extensions at all, but that's also a different story.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I saw another extension here: Ninja Cookie | Opt out of non-essential cookies and automatically remove cookie popups.
The difference with I don't care about cookies is that it not only removes cookiebanners but also rejects the use of non-essential cookies. I haven't tried out it yet.
Its privacy policy don't look good. I'll stick with "I don't care about cookies"

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
Ublock never include or never was or could block cookies now that is misleading to tell people it does, on the other hand Umatrix blocks cookies I'll post an image to settle peoples mind. The below image is Umatrix, Ublock never could do that.

Attachments

• 2.PNG
    2.PNG
    14.5 KB · Views: 520
Last edited:
Reactions: Nevi and Malakke

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
Ublock never include or never was or could block cookies now that is misleading to tell people it does, on the other hand Umatrix blocks cookies I'll post an image to settle peoples mind. The below image is Umatrix, Ublock never could do that.
On MT I've never seen someone who claims that uBlock blocks cookies. Every browser has the possibility of cookie management. So why should we use uMatrix for that?

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Why I believe Adguard ad-blocker browser extension is better than uBlock Origin:
  • User friendly
  • Easy to navigate
  • Settings are easy to find
  • Global on/off toggle
uBlock Origin may be more capable, but it's lacks any GUI that's easy for everyone.

Last edited:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I'm trialing adguard at the moment but I think I still prefer ublock medium mode with the noop rules. Just some pages with more ads on them are a bit slow to load with Adguard though adguard blocks some 225 elements compared to uBO of just 14. Trying to find a happy medium and more of a set and forget option.

Terry Ganzi

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 7, 2014
For the record, I like ublock features more, especially that it shows, how many filters are actually used, so it helps to avoid obsolete filters. But neither of those two is able to block all cookie notices lately (because of a chrome update?). When I use "I don't care about cookies" filter, they are not blocked, but when I use "I don't care about cookies" extension, they are.
This is the post that I was talking about no need to get all fired up.
Ublock Origin performs great but with in what it was design to do. Thank you

Attachments

• 1.PNG
    1.PNG
    5.8 KB · Views: 509
Reactions: Nevi
L

Local Host

A few months has pased, i wonder what is the state of Adguard today. Did they fix the slowdowns or is pretty much the same as before? (chrome addon, not the windows app)

thanks.
I been using Adguard Desktop for years and it has never affected my browsing speed, there already been suggestions for those affected.

Anyone claiming Adguard is not customizable as uBlock Origin, clearly hasn't used Adguard properly (if anything Adguard provides even more options).

In the end I don't care what others use, simply avoid spreading misinformation.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

The only sort of independent test I know of is six years old. It looked at page load times, CPU and memory usage and was published at raymond.cc (link).

In regard to page load times, most adblockers do well as illustrated with below picture.
1631874865241.png

The differentiator is the amount of CPU an extension needs to accomplish this job (with so many RAM in modern PC's, memory use is a non-issue) in which Adguard extension finsihed third, behind Ghostery and the winner uBlockOrigin.
1631874976747.png

There are people complaining about AdGuard slowing down internet speed, but these are usually Adguard desktop users.
My personal experience with Adguard extension is that it works great (even with the Stealth privacy feature enabled).
I use Adguard on my phone with Samsung browser and uBlockOrigin on my PC with Edge browser.

Last edited by a moderator:

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
For Firefox and Edge: uBO is very light and efficient, and easy to troubleshoot. For Chrome or non-Ungoogled Chromium: AdGuard Extension in stealth mode blocks some tracking that uBO does not.

In general, I prefer the logger in AdGuard but I find the overall interface in uBO easier to use. Subjectively, uBO seems faster to me on Chromium than AdGuard, but I use the latter for stealth mode.

Delete X-Client-Data headerthis setting will prevent Chrome browser from sending information about itself to Google domains (unique to Chrome browser).

South Park

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jun 23, 2018
GorHill from uBlock Origin is very passionate about making his extension as lightweight as possible. AdGuard? I don't know her lol
This is true. I did some testing with current 64-bit Chromium, using profiles which were identical except that one had uBO and one had ADG. I found the uBO profile used about the same amount of RAM as no ad blocker at all (about 500 MB with four news sites open), while ADG used about 650 MB of RAM with the same four sites open. ADG was also noticeably sluggish about loading pages, esp. Politico.com. My laptop has a paltry 4 GB of shared RAM, so every bit counts.

Considering the small increase in privacy but big performance hit with ADG, I decided to go back to using uBO on Chromium. I speculate that the performance difference lies with ADG's extensive use of regex's in its default lists.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I'm gonna be straight honest with you.

I was an AdGuard for PC user. Ended up uninstalling because it generally slowed down browsing. Upon recommendations, I installed AdGuard extension and for my surprise, it had a lot of nice features as you mention. But browsing was still slow. So I installed uBlock, added tons of filters for privacy and ads and yet it's as fast as an extension-less browser.
Do you still prefer ubo? I always want to evaluate my needs and currently have adguard desktop which is a paid version. But wanted to know your input in 2022. Thanks.

Reactions: JB007

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.