New Update uBlock0rigin in Medium mode for Lighter and Stronger Protection, with Less websites breakage and hassle

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

:) I thank Lenny for maintaining this thread (y).

Lenny has accompanied his girlfriend who got an assignment in Botswana for an NGO. Lenny is now is teaching young boys to become a cook and he is very happy (he enjoyed being a cook more than being a digital marketer).

@czesetfan add ~media

|HTTP://*$third-party,~stylesheet,~image,~media

Most websites require javascript to be enabled to play movies, so this might not work and you have to make an exception for a specific domainor
|HTTP://*$third-party,~stylesheet,~image,~media,domain=~website1.com

When you have to add more domainnames, use the pipe | separator as shown below
|HTTP://*$third-party,~stylesheet,~image,~media,domain=~website1.com|~domainname2.com|~example3.org

Last edited by a moderator:

czesetfan

Level 3
Dec 3, 2021
:) I thank Lenny for maintaining this thread (y).

Lenny has accompanied his girlfriend who got an assignment in Botswana for an NGO. Lenny is now is teaching young boys to become a cook and he is very happy (he enjoyed being a cook more than being a digital marketer).

@czesetfan add ~media

|HTTP://*$third-party,~stylesheet,~image,~media

Most websites require javascript to be enabled to play movies, so this might not work and you have to make an exception for a specific domainor
|HTTP://*$third-party,~stylesheet,~image,~media,domain=~website1.com

When you have to add more domainnames, use the pipe | separator as shown below
|HTTP://*$third-party,~stylesheet,~image,~media,domain=~website1.com|~domainname2.com|~example3.org
Well done, thank you. (y)

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 92963

czesetfan

Level 3
Dec 3, 2021
Out of curiosity, I tried the test: Ad Blocker Test
Even with strict settings uBlock, the blocked score is only around 84%. Using strict Chromium Edge settings it's over 90%. What blocks the browser extra, or better?
Sorry if this has been discussed somewhere before.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
That test is useless according to Raymond Hill the creator of uBlock Origin:
And useless according to AdGuard:

czesetfan

Level 3
Dec 3, 2021
That test is useless according to Raymond Hill the creator of uBlock Origin:
And useless according to AdGuard:
Thank you, I missed that. :rolleyes:

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
In my post Update - uBlock Origin update thread I wrote:
If you use the from MM converted filter rules, there is a significant risk that they interfere with the rules of filterlists. Especially the exclusion part of the converted filter rules can have an undesired effect.

MM = Medium Mode in uBO.

After some testing is my opinion that (as example) next rule doesn't interfere with rules of filterlists.
*$script,3p,to=~org
This rule blocks all third party scripts except (~) from sites with the domainextension .org.

The rule doesn't affect next blocking rule (a real world example).
||cookielaw.org^$3p

Both rules applied to uBO. Visiting the site rollingstone.com shows following results.

Test.jpg

As intended, the rule *$script,3p,to=~org blocks a third party script from a site with the domainextension .com.
The rule ||cookielaw.org^$3p does also its job, independent from the other rule.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@LennyFox said:
! I block third-party except on some trusted Top Level Domains
! (uBlockOrigin syntax) ||*$third-party,to=~NL|~BE|~DE|~UK|~EU|~com|~edu|~net|~org|~io
! (AdGuard syntax) ||*$third-party,denyallow=NL|BE|DE|UK|EU|com|edu|net|org|io

When you allow other top level domains, you could also use
Kees1938 most used EU US MV3 (currently just over 900 network rules)
PeterLow ABP format serverlist (currently just over 3750 network rules)
Kees1958 most used EU US (currently just over 6100 network rules)

For comparison the list of LennyFox has 893 network rules. I have imported both LennyFox easy medium mode and Kees1958 EU US Mv3 and they overlap for 80%. In the past I have done the same with PeterLow and Kees1958 and Peter Low's had nearly 60% overlap with Kees1958 list (have not checked lately so could be different now). Which is not surprising since they have sort of similar blocking approach

So depending on your rule-count hunger or minimalistic approach there are several options. I often use AdGuard base (without using cosmetic filters) with Kees1958 Most used EU-US in uBO (with AdGuard param). This keeps the overal rulecount under 25.000. Lately only using Kees1958 with Jan Willy's easy medium mode with cosmetic filtering enabled for a few websites and cosmetic rules in MyFilter. Reason for doing so is increasing the responsiveness on my old Desktop. On my wife's Rysen5 laptop I can even use Avira Browser Safety without noticing a lag. Seems that when you have a powerful PC lowering rule count is a non-issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spartan

Level 3
Verified
Apr 15, 2019
What would be a good list to simply block ads and another to block tracking cookie warning annoyances to have the snappiest web browsing?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.