New Update uBlock Origin update thread

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
A new version "uBOLite_0.1.22.10166" was released not so long ago on GitHub with changelog related to redirects and some more. Maybe this version will fix the discussed issue. But it has been removed from GitHub just now. Maybe there were some problems, and it will be released again very soon.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
A new version "uBOLite_0.1.22.10166" was released not so long ago on GitHub with changelog related to redirects and some more. Maybe this version will fix the discussed issue. But it has been removed from GitHub just now. Maybe there were some problems, and it will be released again very soon.
It has been re-released:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Now a new version is released:
uBOLite_0.1.22.10175

New​

Added support for redirect= filters. As with removeparam= filters, redirect= filters can only be enforced when the default filtering mode is set to Optimal or Complete in the Settings pane, since these filters require broad host permission to be enforced by the DNR engine. redirect-rule= filters are not supported since there is no corresponding DNR syntax.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
And another one, development has speed up....
uBOLite_0.1.22.10185

Release notes​

Various internal fixes:

Salvage network filters which were previously wholly thrown out due to MV3 being incompatible with entity-based syntax. The salvaged network filters will be at least a partial translation of the original filters to DNR rules. There is currently no way in MV3 to translate entity-based syntax into DNR rules.

Fixed uBOL not properly reflecting permission changes when permissions were revoked while the extension was not enabled.

Refer to log.txt to see filters which could not be converted due to MV3 incompatibility. At the moment not all discarded filters are necessarily reported in there

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
uBOLite_0.1.22.10187

Fixed:​

Refer to log.txt to see filters which could not be converted due to MV3 incompatibility. At the moment not all discarded filters are necessarily reported in there

eonline

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Nov 15, 2017
With the new manifest and the new extensions what I miss the most is the my filters section. That's why I'm not using uBo lite right now. Without that flexibility the customizations I have in my filters don't really work for me. Besides they are not that efficient anymore.

Reactions: Nevi and Jan Willy

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
uBOLite_0.1.22.10207 released:

New​

Added ability to handle entity-based CSS and scriptlet injection filters. Entity-based syntax is commonly used by filter list maintainers due to there convenience in real world scenarios.

Since the scripting API is not compatible with entity patterns, the entity-related content scripts are injected in all documents and the entity-matching is done by the content script themselves.

Given this, entity-based content scripts are enabled only when working in the Complete filtering mode, there won't be any entity-based filters injected in lesser modes.

Also, since there is no way to reasonably have access to the Public Suffix List in the content scripts, the entity-matching algorithm is an approximation, though I expect false positives to be rare (time will tell). In the event of such false positive, simply falling back to Optimal mode on the affected site will fix the issue.

Regarding network filtering, the DNR API is incompatible with entity-based approach (often used in domain= option), the only workaround is for filter list maintainers to painstakingly expand the wildcard to all required TLDs.

Fixed:​

Fixed the no-filtering mode related rules having lower priority then redirect rules, i.e. redirect rules would still be applied despite disabling all filtering on a site.

Fixed improper detection of changes to the generic-related CSS content script, potentially causing undue delays when for example trying to access the popup panel while working in Complete mode. The scripting MV3 can be quite slow when registering/updating large content scripts, so uBOL does its best to call the API only if really needed, but there had been a regression in the recent builds preventing uBOL from properly detecting unchanged content script parameters.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
why to use lite vs origin ?
You don't have to for now, it is still experimental.
It is for when Google launches manifest v3 and that will limit adblockers on chromium-based browsers.
uBO Lite and AdGuard MV3 are experiments to develop an adblocker that can handle those limitations.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Posted by @plat on Wilders:
Please do not use those online tools which claim to measure how good is your content blocker, they are often flawed.

Great to have an explanation from Raymond Hill, but how can we mere mortals test our content blocker?
We just have to trust that he is doing a great job?

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Posted by @plat on Wilders:
Please do not use those online tools which claim to measure how good is your content blocker, they are often flawed.

Great to have an explanation from Raymond Hill, but how can we mere mortals test our content blocker?

I said that these tests sites are not that effective in another thread, and someone got offended. Great to see Mr. Hill fully explaining the reason to clear the confusion.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
but how can we mere mortals test our content blocker?
We have to assume that these tests can only give some very, very rough picture ...

and know that
I said that these tests sites are not that effective
... and that @SeriousHoax is correct. I use my browsing experience to choose an adblocker and for MV3 that is µBO Lite. And of course we have to trust devs in the end.

One way to guage your overall tracking exposure is with GitHub - gorhill/uBO-Scope: A tool to measure over time your own exposure to third parties on the web.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.