New Update uBlock Origin update thread

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Hoping cosmetic filtering is improved with the complete mode...
I did a quick test and cosmetic filtering have certainly improved. Even faster than ADG MV3 at the moment.

uBO old version:
3.png1.png

uBO new version:

4.png2.png
Also, ADG MV3 often takes a while like a second or more to perform cosmetic filtering which they described as flickering in their blog post. With uBO latest, I'm not seeing such thing yet. Cosmetic filtering seems to be happening as instantly as MV2 versions (I could be wrong. Need more testing), which is great (y)
Tested on Chrome with Cloudflare DNS.

Last edited:

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Waiting for it to be published on the chrome store and compare it to AdGuard MV3 again.
Hoping cosmetic filtering is improved with the complete mode...
I did a quick test and cosmetic filtering have certainly improved.
I keep CWS version installed and enabled, and just wait for updates. Even v. 0.1.22.9305 works well for my purposes and the new version demonstrates that gorhill is really improving it.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Interesting bug report which includes a possible MV3 bug:
With MV3 API, uBOL is allowed to interfere with another extension's network requests, which is quite unexpected and it does appear to be a bug in the MV3 API. In MV2, extensions are not allowed to read/modify network requests made by other extensions.

Last edited:

Virtuoso

Level 3
Feb 21, 2022
uBlock Origin Lite 0.1.22.10106 is now available in the Chrome Web Store.
First impressions: great, faster and cosmetic filtering in complete mode equals or exceeds AdGuard MV3, switched (y)

Yes, improved performance but looks like MV3 blockers will always be lacking compared to what we have now. I have enabled the complete filtering and also enabled the Dan Pollock+ Steven Black filters but still an NSFW website i use is getting invisible ad/pop-up on clicking anything. MV2 blockers easily deal with it. Anyone willing to test the website?

Reactions: vtqhtr413 and plat

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Tested optimal mode with all added filters except 'Block Outsider Intrusion Into LAN': No ads or popups but anything but vary careful clicking and you get links opening scammy new pages.
I loaded url & clicked as suggested, no popups here (or sidenote to oldschool: maybe they were transparent in my vm?? :ROFLMAO:)

Reactions: vtqhtr413

Virtuoso

Level 3
Feb 21, 2022
Tested optimal mode with all added filters except 'Block Outsider Intrusion Into LAN': No ads or popups but anything but vary careful clicking and you get links opening scammy new pages.

Yes, that is what I meant, clicking results in opening scammy new pages, the MV2 Ublock Origin does not have the same problem.

Reactions: oldschool

Virtuoso

Level 3
Feb 21, 2022
Happy to note that Gorhill has solved the clicking/popup issue in the latest uBOLite_0.1.22.10135 Release.

Release notes​

New​

Added support for nosiif, nowoif, and aeld scriptlets. This should help fix more popup and anti-blocker issues on various sites.

Added uBOL-specific list to fix filter issues arising specifically in uBOL.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
question from uninformed / faded memory: running Edge, ublock origin 1.44.4 (Nik Rolls) 7M users. From what I see MS add-ons do not show having uBOLite. Am I using the wrong version, does the one I'm using suck? What's the difference? where can I see difference, chrome store??

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
question from uninformed / faded memory: running Edge, ublock origin 1.44.4 (Nik Rolls) 7M users. From what I see MS add-ons do not show having uBOLite. Am I using the wrong version, does the one I'm using suck? What's the difference? where can I see difference, chrome store??
The Edge (normal) version is still published by Nik Rolls, but is the same as the Chrome version.
Something to do with Nik Rolls porting uBlock Origin for legacy Edge.
But it is the official by Raymond Hill made version for Edge.

The uBlock Lite version is a test version for Google Manifest version 3 and only published in the Chrome Web store for now.

uBlock Origin Chrome store:

uBlock Origin Edge store:

uBlock Lite (Chrome store only for now):
uBlock Origin Lite

Some information on uBlock Lite:

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
The Edge (normal) version is still published by Nik Rolls, but is the same as the Chrome version.
Something to do with Nik Rolls porting uBlock Origin for legacy Edge.
But it is the official by Raymond Hill made version for Edge.

The uBlock Lite version is a test version for Google Manifest version 3 and only published in the Chrome Web store for now.

uBlock Origin Chrome store:

uBlock Origin Edge store:

uBlock Lite (Chrome store only for now):
uBlock Origin Lite

Some information on uBlock Lite:
THANKS! putting out small fires here, as things calm down (& they are) I can focus on the "finer" nuances. Meanwhile, so far I do not regret making Edge my default browser....(??) :unsure:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
No ads or popups but anything but vary careful clicking and you get links opening scammy new pages.
I hope Mr. gorhill and the ADG team will be able to prevent these. Otherwise, it would be very annoying and might increase the rate of phishing and malvertising.
BTW, Is there any talks regarding Annoyance Filters? ADG has it (even though not as effective as MV2) but not yet in uBOL.

Virtuoso

Level 3
Feb 21, 2022
I hope Mr. gorhill and the ADG team will be able to prevent these. Otherwise, it would be very annoying and might increase the rate of phishing and malvertising.
BTW, Is there any talks regarding Annoyance Filters? ADG has it (even though not as effective as MV2) but not yet in uBOL.

Gorhill has solved this popup problem in the latest release of uBOL as mentioned above, I have tested it on the same website side by side and it is working fine now, I manually installed the latest github version, it should reach Chrome web store in 2-3 days.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Gorhill has solved this popup problem in the latest release of uBOL as mentioned above, I have tested it on the same website side by side and it is working fine now, I manually installed the latest github version, it should reach Chrome web store in 2-3 days.
Not working for me, in the latest GitHub version. Still pages autoloads in new tab 🤷‍♂️

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
The only way to get this popup/reload problem solved is reporting on github if anyone has an account there. Gorhill has created a separate page for uBOLite issues, so it will be easier to get his attention there:

For whatever reason, I'm not having the issue anymore on the website you mentioned. Let me know if you have any other site where this happens, and I'll create an issue on GitHub if required.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.