Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Also using uBO Lite now.
I only hope he will add a list for cookie warnings as requested here:
Cookie warnings and the occasional newsletter popups are the only annoying things not currently not blocked in the complete mode.

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
This is a good reference for filter lists for use in all user modes:
The explanations about the respective filterlists certainly make it a good reference. However, without intending to sound rude, I have some serious question marks at the combination of it all... Either the user is too paranoid and needs to learn to use/create userscripts and manage as well as host his own dns/firewall server and TOR node on top of it. And that is just the beginning, or the user misunderstood lots of things regarding the purposes of those respective filterlists.

And I'm still not referring to the sheer amount of overlap of quite a few of those lists.

Last edited:

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
And I'm still not referring to the sheer amount of overlap of quite a few of those lists.
That's not a big problem for uBO, that can handle this well. On the site GitHub - yokoffing/filterlists: Collection of filters to fill in the gaps you can see that from the list oisd full 85157 rules are not used because they are covered by other lists.

uBO.jpg

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
That's not a big problem for uBO, that can handle this well. On the site GitHub - yokoffing/filterlists: Collection of filters to fill in the gaps you can see that from the list oisd full 85157 rules are not used because they are covered by other lists.

View attachment 270296
From my perspective, Its not about Firefox's ability nor uBlock Origin's ability to be able to handle it. It's more about efficiency vs bandwidth ratio. If that makes any sense, since majority of his filters overlap waay to much.

Edit: Example from the built-in filters being enabled on both Adguard annoyances+social and Fanboy annoyances, or 1Hosts-Pro and OISD Full (not limited to). While either example serves the same purpose as the filter they are compared with. Plus, it would make it more manageable for the user/admin whether they are on uBlock or other services using hosts file lists (e.g. dns ad blocking). Just my 2cents though.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
For people who belong to or are oriented on the western world I highly recommend next filterlist:
And let's not forget the possibilities of uBO medium - and hard mode. Often more effective than filterlists. But greater chance to break websites.
You sure that's the latest list?

Mine is version 2022.07.06

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
you can see that from the list oisd full 85157 rules are not used because they are covered by other lists.

If that's the case, (and I have several instances of signif. overlap), what do you do? Do you disable the list altogether? Or waste a lot of time trying to find other lists that can reduce or eliminate the overlap?

I'm just asking out of curiosity. I found it impossible myself to make perfect fits with these lists so I just leave it be. Example:

adg cname.PNG

38666 used of 47189 .entries. If i disable uBlock Origin altogether, performance actually goes down in a few cases. For example: Wilders has this large cookie notice and this cuts performance by a bit. Tiny but noticeable. I mean, one person's ways may not suit another person's but partial list activation hasn't dragged things down on here.

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
From my perspective, Its not about Firefox's ability nor uBlock Origin's ability to be able to handle it. It's more about efficiency vs bandwidth ratio. If that makes any sense, since majority of his filters overlap waay to much.

Edit: Example from the built-in filters being enabled on both Adguard annoyances+social and Fanboy annoyances, or 1Hosts-Pro and OISD Full (not limited to). While either example serves the same purpose as the filter they are compared with. Plus, it would make it more manageable for the user/admin whether they are on uBlock or other services using hosts file lists (e.g. dns ad blocking). Just my 2cents though.
I understand. I'm not a fan of so many filterlists. Observing the uBO log has learned me a little bit to choose the most effective filterlists. It depends much of the sites you visit. It's rather subjective.

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
uBOLite_0.1.22.10295 released

Release notes​

Fixed not injecting scriptlets et al. in embedded frames, which could prevent uBOL from properly defusing many cases of anti-blockers.

Side note: In general, anti-blockers should be properly defused when using Optimal filtering mode, as the Complete mode may be more likely to cause detection by anti-blocker mechanisms. If you are using Complete mode and an anti-blocker is triggered, try lowering to Optimal mode, this can be done on a per-site basis from the popup panel.

Refer to log.txt to see filters which could not be converted due to MV3 incompatibility. At the moment not all discarded filters are necessarily reported in there

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
uBOLite_0.1.22.11056 released

Release notes​

Added support for csp= filters.

Refer to log.txt to see filters which could not be converted due to MV3 incompatibility. At the moment not all discarded filters are necessarily reported in there

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
uBOLite_0.1.22.11075 released

Release notes​

• Do not merge rules with errors (doing so caused valid rules to be erroneously discarded).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.