Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
uBOLite_0.1.23.2176 (since yesterday available on Chrome web store): uBlock Origin Lite

Release notes​

• Updated filter lists
  • Translation work
Refer to log.txt to see filters which could not be converted due to MV3 incompatibility. At the moment not all discarded filters are necessarily reported in there

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Wow, I have not used uBlockOrigin for a while, but noticed that mr GorHill has seriously restricted the use of CC/TLD's in rules, for instance Jan Willy's easy medium mode rule (for AdGaurd) does not work anymore (||*$third-party,script,frame,denyallow=your list|of trustred|Country Codes|and TopLevelDomains).

I know people are yelling that is where you have the dynamic rules for, but .....

The easy medium mode (as first suggested by Kees1958 and perfected by janWilly) has its charmes and benefits, why?
1. Firstly Jan Willy's easy medium mode rule for AdGuard never issued any problems nor needed any exceptions (probably the reason Kees1958 post became a sticky)
2. Secondly I like to keep the dynamic filtering option for fine tuning and weeding of the 'Easy Medium Mode blocking' reduced attack surface (making dynamic filtering even greater for fine tuning).

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

From older MT and Wilders post I know Gorhill and Kees1958 have got a troublesome relation, but this is a real pitty. (n)(n)(n) Maybe some inner circle MT-members (of Gorhill) can pleed to return to the old standards (I recall when AdGuard copied them in 2020). GorHill has implemented some of Kees1958 request (only years later :) ) so GorHill is willing to listen when others confirm.

Last edited by a moderator:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
I run it in a variation of Hard Mode. Takes some whitelisting but works pretty well for me. The pop-up rule can get annoying but it does block bad pop-ups ;)

Dynamic rules:

no-csp-reports: * true
no-large-media: behind-the-scene false
no-popups: * true
no-strict-blocking: 192.168.0.1 true
* * 3p block
* * 3p-frame block
* * 3p-script block
* com * noop
* eu * noop
* info * noop
* io * noop
* net * noop
* org * noop
* uk * noop
behind-the-scene * * noop
behind-the-scene * 1p-script noop
behind-the-scene * 3p noop
behind-the-scene * 3p-frame noop
behind-the-scene * 3p-script noop
behind-the-scene * image noop
behind-the-scene * inline-script noop

Static Filters:
! Block beacons, plugins and websockets everywhere
||*$ping,object,websocket

! Block potentially unsafe third-party content to unencrypted websites
|HTTP://*$third-party,~document,~stylesheet,~image,~media

! Block opening webpages on top level domains and countries I never visit
||*$document,~stylesheet,~image,~media,~script,~subdocument,~xmlhttprequest,domain=~com|~info|~io|~eu|~net|~org|~uk

Jan Willy

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019

@ErzCrz

This thread isn't meant to discuss about filter rules, but I have to warn you that next rule doesn't block anything, because of the exception ~document.

Edit: Here the result of a correct rule. As intended, the 3p script is blocked.

Schermafbeelding 2023-02-23 195519.jpg

My advice would be to read next thread very well.

Last edited:

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019

@ErzCrz

This thread isn't meant to discuss about filter rules, but I have to warn you that next rule doesn't block anything, because of the exception ~document.

Edit: Here the result of a correct rule. As intended, the 3p script is blocked.

View attachment 273119

My advice would be to read next thread very well.
Thanks and sorry for going OT. I've not tweaking my filters for quite awhile. Will have a read through and maybe a fresh approach ;)

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

I have not been using uBo for some time and was disappointed that denyallow did not facilitate entities (any more) like AdGuard in denyallow (see post 227 of this thread).

Today I looked through the uBO Wiki to see whether it was replaced by something else and found that version 1.46 added some important new static rule features which makes them look more like dynamic rules. As I explained in post #227 I liked to add the 'problem free attack surface reduction of easy medium mode' to the static rules and use dynamic filtering to fine tune and weed out unnessecary stuf (and trial it a few weeks before 'promoting' them as a static rule in My Filter).

JanWillys easy medium mode static rule for Adguard: ||*^$script,subdocument,third-party,denyallow=com|eu|inf|io|ms|net|nl|org
Would look like this with the new uBlockOrigin syntax: ||*$script,subdocument,third-party,to=~com|~eu|~inf|~io|~ms|~net|~org
the ~ means not, so: not to com, not to eu | not to inf | not to io | (etc)

ErzCrz easy hard mode dynamic rules
* * 3p block
* com * noop
* eu * noop
* info * noop
* io * noop
* net * noop
* org * noop
* uk * noop

Would look like this with the new uBlockOrigin syntax: ||*$third-party,to=~com|~eu|~info|~io|~net|~org|~uk

1677694358436.png

Happy uBO user again :) (y)(y)(y)(y)

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Congratulations.@Max90 you write rules just like @Windows_Security. and @Kees1958. ;) :LOL:
I learned it from JanWilly :), but I take it as a compliment. There is a little difference WindowsSecurity and ErzCrz implement easy medium/easy hard mode with dynamic filtering, while JanWilly and I like to implement it with static rules. For me this has the advantage that I can use dynamic filtering to see what Edge Anti-tracking misses.

My approach is that I first start to block unnecessary third party connections for that website only (website1p domain3p * block). When I encounter this third-party domain on another website I make it a general rule (* domain3p * block). I keep those dynamic rules normally for a few weeks and when those extra dynamic third-party blocks don't provide any problems I promote them to static rules in my filters.

When you read the uBO wiki (and also ABP basic rules explanation) it is relatively easy to convert dynamic rules to static rules. With the new uBO FROM and TO static rules it is even easier to convert dynamic rules to static rules (* domain3p * block becomes ||*$third-party,to=domain3p and website1p domain3p * block becomes ||*$third-party,from=website1p,to=domain3p)

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
When you read the uBO wiki (and also ABP basic rules explanation) it is relatively easy to convert dynamic rules to static rules. With the new uBO FROM and TO static rules it is even easier to convert dynamic rules to static rules (* domain3p * block becomes ||*$third-party,to=domain3p and website1p domain3p * block becomes ||*$third-party,from=website1p,to=domain3p)
Thanks. I haven't checked the Wiki is a long time so I'll check it out.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

Mini tutorial with new FROM and TO options of uBlockOrigin. The new (version 1.46) FROM and TO options support entities (e.g an asterix for countrycode as Google.* and country codes and top level domains as explained below) can be piped (using | to separate multiple domains or entities) and can be excluded (not is ~).

1. Easy Medium Mode
Block third-party scripts and frames except (not = ~ ) for country code's of Canada (CA), USA (US), UK and Top Level Domain's COM, IO, INF, NET, ORG
||*$third-party,script,frame,to=~CA|~US|~UK|~com|~io|~inf|~net|~org

2. Easy Hard Mode
Block third-party except (not = ~) for country code's of Canada (CA), USA (US), United Kingdom (UK) and Top Level Domain's COM, IO, INF, NET, ORG
||*$third-party,to=~CA|~US|~UK|~com|~io|~inf|~net|~org

3. Block all third-party scripts and frames on (from) a specific website (example1.com)
||*$third-party,script,frame,from=example1.com

4. Block third-party scripts and frames anywhere linking to a specific website (example3.com)
||*$third-party,script,frame,to=example3.com

5. Block third-party scripts and frames on a specific website (example1.com) linking to another specific domain (example3.com)
||*$third-party,script,frame,from=example1.com,to=example3.com

6. Block nasty popups and popunders to an advertising network which will redirect them (often to adult websites, I used three real examples below)
||*$popup,popunder,to=trafficjunky.net|tsyndicate.com|opoxv.com

7. Block nasty popups and popunders on a specific website except (not = ~) to its own website
||*$popup,popunder,from=example1.com,to=~example1.com

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.