New Update uBlock Origin update thread

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Here's what the broken Filter Lists page looks like.
1663201977007.png

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Oh wow, OK, I actually had this installed and then disabled it b/c I wasn't sure it was the right one you were referencing (no "lite" in the title).

Anyway, in Chrome it's fine--a very abbreviated Settings page but it's def. there. Now, there are NO other ext. in Chrome, just this one. And no internal settings enabled besides defaults.

chrome ubo settings.PNG

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Oh wow, OK, I actually had this installed and then disabled it b/c I wasn't sure it was the right one you were referencing (no "lite" in the title).

Anyway, in Chrome it's fine--a very abbreviated Settings page but it's def. there. Now, there are NO other ext. in Chrome, just this one. And no internal settings enabled besides defaults.

Are you sure you have the right one? That image looks like regular uBO. If you hover over the extension badge in the toolbar you'll see uBO Lite

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well jeez, not exactly accessible, is it? OK, reinstalled Chrome JUST FOR YOU, oldschool, and I want you to understand what trial and tribulation this was to have this software besmirching my machine here. 🙃

Are you right or not? Let's see...😁

Edit: wondering if Mr. Hill is replacing Lite with the Development build 1.44.3b7? It works in Chrome, it's what you saw earlier.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Well jeez, not exactly accessible, is it? OK, reinstalled Chrome JUST FOR YOU, oldschool, and I want you to understand what trial and tribulation this was to have this software besmirching my machine here. 🙃

Are you right or not? Let's see...😁
:LOL:
Development build 1.44.3b7
This is the regular MV2 µBO dev, not the MV3 version.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
reinstalled Chrome JUST FOR YOU
Off-topic but try this instead. If you want to have Chrome on your device for testing purpose but don't want to install it then just use the portable version. Try them from this link. It's probably the easiest way to install and update portable editions of Chrome, Edge, Firefox, Opera, Thunderbird. You can also install any builds like stable/beta/canary.
A problem for the Edge portable is that it auto logins with your windows account. I would prefer to have an Edge portable version that don't do that. No issues with the other ones.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
I guess we can get the latest version of uBO Lite from Chrome web store link, does anyone know it's always updated automatically like other stable browser extensions?

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I guess we can get the latest version of uBO Lite from Chrome web store link, does anyone know it's always updated automatically like other stable browser extensions?
The update was just a minor one, same as the developer version. I belive it updates as usual.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Users of the content blocker uBlock Origin may add a single custom line to it, to block web fonts. Open the Settings, switch to My Filters, and add the line *$font,third-party. Select Save, and you are all set. The content blocker includes an even stricter option, which blocks all remote fonts. To activate it, select "Block remote fonts" in the extension's settings. Sites that do not display correctly may be excluded from the blocking.

This blocks the use of web fonts on third-party sites only. First party sites are still allowed to load them.

ublock-block-web-fonts.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
uBO Lite "Pre-release" has added something more, NOTE: I have installed manually this version from github, not available yet on Chrome web store ;)

UB#1.png

MV3​

• Renamed "uBO Lite" from "uBO Minus"
  • Added ability to enable/disable filter lists
  • Added support for i18n
  • Added support for optional permissions through new button in popup panel. Consequences:
    • Added support for specific plain CSS-based cosmetic filtering
    • Added support for scriptlet-based filtering (json-prune, set-constant, abort-current-script)
  • Fixed dark theme issue
  • Improved reliability of cosmetic filtering

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
gorhill4
MOD·1 day ago·Stickied comment·edited 23 hr. ago

The latest release (0.1.22.9167) should block Youtube ads once you explicitly allows uBOL additional permissions on Youtube. The Chrome Web Store takes very long to clear review when I submit a new version, so it might take a while before it appears there.
I know a lot of people like to compare to AdGuard MV3, so here some realities to take into account:
  • I started to work ~2 weeks ago on all this, AdGuard started to work months ago on MV3 (mid-2021 as per their blog).
  • I am a lone volunteer developer, AdGuard has a team of paid developers (same for ABP, AdBlock).
  • Open the Task Manager in Chromium (in the browser's Task Manager, shift-esc) and keep an eye on both AdGuard MV3 and uBOL service worker's memory and CPU usage
    • AdGuard's service worker uses significant amount of memory, between 100-200 MB. It is constantly evicted and respawned at regular interval by the browser, thus causing spikes in CPU usage.
    • uBO's service worker is rarely respawned if you do not interact with the popup menu or option pages, everything is enforced declaratively so there is no uBO code to execute to enforce network, cosmetic or scriptlet-based filtering (this last one is what takes care of Youtube ads). The new scripting API in MV3 is a great improvement over MV2.
    • Compare the memory usage of Example Domain (in the browser's Task Manager, shift-esc) with either AdGuard MV3 then uBOL (not both at the same time). It's a very simple page and I see that with AdGuard it consumes an extra 10MB. There is no extra memory consumed by uBOL.
  • uBO consumes considerably less DNR rules out of its allowance to enforce more network filters.
    • For example, it currently consumes ~21K DNR rules to enforce the network filters from uBO's default filter lists (minus Online Malicious URL Blocklist). You can even enable Steven Black's hosts list which I added as an option, which contains ~140K network filters, but consumes only 2 DNR rules.
    • AdGuard consumes 46K DNR rules (thus over the browser-set allowance) to enforce network filters to just block ads specifically. This climbs to 71K DNR rules if you enable "block trackers" to get the equivalent of uBOL's default configuration.
Yes, uBOL still does not have all what AdGuard offers now, but it's quite early and my goal in the end is different at this point though it shares the same care for resource efficiency as there is with uBO: I want a permission-less content blocker, equipped as well as can be with this constraint. I always had in mind to create a lite version of uBO, so there is the opportunity, it will be good enough for a lot of people, for others uBO works very well on Firefox, and I will continue to improve on that platform.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
uBO latest stable build 1.44.4
To install the stable build:

Fixes:​

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018

uBOLite_0.1.22.9196

Pre-release

Better action name

Description​

uBO Lite, an experimental permission-less MV3 API-based content blocker.

uBO Lite is entirely declarative, meaning there is no need for a permanent uBO Lite process for the filtering to occur, and css/js injection-based content filtering is performed reliably by the browser itself rather than by the extension.

uBO Lite does not require broad "read/modify data" permission at install time, hence its limited capabilities out of the box compared to uBlock Origin or other content blockers requiring broad "read/modify data" permissions at install time.

More...

Release notes​

• Renamed "uBO Lite" from "uBO Minus"
  • Added ability to enable/disable filter lists
  • Added support for i18n
  • Added support for optional permissions through new button in popup panel. Consequences:
    • Support for specific plain CSS-based cosmetic filtering
    • Support for scriptlet-based filtering (json-prune, set-constant, abort-current-script)
  • Fixed dark theme issue
  • Improved reliability of cosmetic filtering
  • However, uBO Lite allows you to *explicitly* grant extended permissions on specific sites of your choice so that it can better filter on those sites using declarative cosmetic and scriptlet injections.
    To grant extended permissions on a given site, open the popup panel and click the "sun" icon.

When the "sun" icon is blue, this means you explicitly granted extended permissions on the current site. The badge number beside the "sun" icon represents the number of distinct CSS/JS resources which will be injected on the current site, leading to better content filtering on that site.

You can revoke a formerly granted permission by simply clicking the "sun" icon again. You can view/manage all the sites for which you granted extended permissions by clicking the "Details" button of uBO Lite in your browser's extensions page.

The default ruleset corresponds to uBlock Origin's default filterset:
    • uBlock Origin's built-in filter lists
    • EasyList
    • EasyPrivacy
    • Peter Lowe’s Ad and tracking server list
  • You can add more rulesets by visiting the options page -- click the "cogs" icon in the popup panel.

Keep in mind this is still a work in progress, with these goals:
    • No broad host permissions at install time -- extended permissions are granted explicitly by the user on a per-site basis.
    • Entirely declarative for reliability and CPU/memory efficiency -- uBO Lite's service worker process is required only when you interact with the popup panel or the option pages.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.