Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
uBlock Origin 1.41.0 released today, but depends on browser addon store... ;)

Support for dark mode added to the Settings pane, under the (new) Appearance section:

Screenshot from 2022-02-03 06-54-25

The new setting can be either Auto, Light, or Dark.

In addition, there is a new setting to control the accent color used by uBO throughout its user interface:

Screenshot from 2022-02-03 06-52-53

For example, changing the accent color changes the look of the popup panel:

Screenshot from 2022-02-03 07-17-36 Screenshot from 2022-02-03 07-17-14

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

uBlock Origin adds support for a dark theme, a new setting to block network activity at browser launch​

Back in December 2021, I wrote that uBlock Origin introduced a workaround, that blocked YouTube ads from bypassing the add-on's filters, just after the browser had been launched by the user. The issue was that Chromium based browsers sent network requests to servers to resume the activity of the tabs from the previous session. The extension's latest version introduces a setting that fixes the problem. It prevents all network activity when the browser is launched, and waits for the add-on's filter lists to be loaded, to block the ads, after which the tabs are loaded with proper filtration of the ads. The new option is enabled by default, and can be toggled from the Filter Lists tab. It is labeled "Suspend network activity until all filter lists are loaded".

ublock origin suspend network activity

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
uBlock Origin 1.41.2 Released (February 10, 2022)
Closed as fixed:
  • Textarea focus border is slightly cut off from the sides in the static filter pane in the logger
Notable commits without an entry in the issue tracker:
  • Use theme-related shade of red for DOM inspector
  • Fix bad font size in DOM inspector
  • Fix visually glitchy Create button in element picker
Download - 1.41.2 - Firefox (AMO)
Download - 1.41.2 - Chrome (Web Store)
Download - 1.41.2 - Opera (Opera Addons)
Download - 1.41.0 - Edge (Microsoft Edge Addons)
(It will take some time until the new version will be available on AMO, Chrome Web Store, etc.)

Last edited:

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Yes, both updated to 1.41.2 within Firefox and Opera respectively (I used to have Vivaldi but when I exchanged my disks, Opera was already installed so what the heck).
Dark mode is nice, it's fine but personally, if it's not there by default (like was the case w/Opera), I would not make a special effort to enable it. But it'll stay in Firefox. I mean, it's different for browsers and dark mode b/c of the wider area browsers cover versus the About page in uBO. But at least there's a choice now.

ubo dark mode.png

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
uBlock Origin 1.41.4 Released (February 16, 2022)
Notes
As per various feedback, the new setting "Suspend network activity until all filter lists are loaded" is now unchecked by default in Chromium-based browsers. You will have to explicitly enable it to restore the attempt at mitigating Chromium-based browsers inability to reliably block network requests at launch.

Closed as fixed:
Download - 1.41.4 - Firefox (AMO)
Download - 1.41.4 - Opera (Opera Addons)
Download - 1.41.2 - Edge (Microsoft Edge Addons)
(It will take some time until the new version will be available on AMO, Chrome Web Store, etc.)

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
uBlock Origin 1.41.6 Released (February 18, 2022)
Download - 1.41.6 - Firefox (AMO)
Download - 1.41.6 - Opera (Opera Addons)
Download - 1.41.2 - Edge (Microsoft Edge Addons)

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Mozilla reports that uBlock Origin crossed the 5.5 million users mark while Adblock Plus is sitting at 5.47 million users at the time of writing. If the trend continues, the gap between the two ad blockers will widen in the coming months and years.
UBlock Origin beats Adblock Plus in other metrics as well. The average rating is 4.8 out of 5 on the Mozilla add-ons store, while Adblock Plus has a rating of 4.5 out of 5. As far as the number of reviews is concerned: uBlock Origin received more than 13200 reviews, thousands more than Adblock Plus' 8500 reviews at the time of writing.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Wonder why it took so long for uBlock to surpass Adblock Plus? I've been using it since release and never looked back. While I think Adguard is better in some aspects, it slows down things a bit.
I was wondering too. Then I remembered that one time I tried to fix my mother's laptop recently and she had AdBlock Plus installed. I moved her to uBlock Origin. Adblock Plus seems to be the go-to name for people who are not tech savvy. uBlock Origin doesn't ring a bell to anyone who doesn't know what it is. It could be anything, it sounds complicated, could be malware even? Adblock Plus was there since the beginning late 2000s and it's been the staple everyone installs right away. Branding is a powerful force for those who don't understand tech much.

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Reason why it took so long, might have five seasons:

1. The usage of AdBlockers reached it top in 2016, since then the percentage of webbrowsers with an adblocker installed dropped from 60 percent in 2016 to 40 percent now. In a shrinking market the switch rate (or user switch willingness when existing product seems to do the job) also tends to be lower.
  2. Gorhill transferred maintainance of uBlock in 2015 to Chris Aljoudi, but forked it again with uBlockOrigin in 2016, because of donation discussions and growing maintenance backlog. Low awareness of this controverse and probable slow migration by average users (from uBlock to uBO) might be a second reason.
  3. The existence of many uBlockOrigin copy cat ripp-offs in official chrome and firefox store (some also with over 100.000 installs) might also have cannibalized uBO's growth rate.
  4. AdGuard also snooped a substantial part of the shrinking adblock market away from Adblock/uBlock (in a shrinking market the growth of one product is achieved at the expense of other products marketshare).
  5. Market share of Firefox itself also eroded over the years due to the rise of Chrome alternatives.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
uBlock Origin 1.42.2 Released (only for chromium-based browsers)

Download - 1.42.0 - Firefox (AMO)
Download - 1.42.2 - Chrome (Web Store)
Download - 1.41.8 - Opera (Opera Addons)
Download - 1.42.2- Edge (Microsoft Edge Addons)
Edge got the latest version 1.42.2 today and I couldn't edit my post anymore.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
uBlock Origin 1.42.4 Released
Fixes:
Download - 1.42.4 - Firefox (AMO)
Download - 1.42.4 - Chrome (Web Store)
Download - 1.42.4 - Opera (Opera Addons)
Download - 1.42.2 - Edge (Microsoft Edge Addons)

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, we are always looking at AV performance results, so how about your ad blockers? Here's one such example but numero uno has a problem with it

Mr. Hill's response and explanation:

You go, gorhill. :cool:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
uBlock Origin 1.43.0 Released
Download - 1.42.4 - Firefox (AMO)
Download - 1.42.4 - Chrome (Web Store)
Download - 1.42.4 - Opera (Opera Addons)
Download - 1.42.4 - Edge (Microsoft Edge Addons)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.