Advice Request UbO Filter Lists for Best UbO Performance?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
I was reading several posts on this site regarding filter lists for UbO with some recommending Custom Filter Lists which I found on the Filter List site and added.

As you can see in the attached image, I have disabled UbO filters because some suggested they are redundant.

My question is do you think my current filter lists are adequate enough for optimal performance of UbO, and browsing? I have not noticed any slowdowns.

UbO.png

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for the instructions. I did not know to import those two files. One always learns something new on MT. I have attached screen shots of the modifications I made in the filters. I think it matches what you suggest. Please let me know.
yes, you nailed it

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
adguard english
adguard annoyances
adversity
adversity extreme measures
blockzilla (dead, I have an old copy)
ublock filters plus
Extremely Condensed Adblocking List
and your regional filters which have a lot of ## symbols in the files

there are a few more but they broke too many on my case

EDIT: add Extremely Condensed Adblocking List
On Firefox: Could be interaction with another add-on like DDG Privacy Essentials (been noticing some oddities with Container Tabs?), less likely another filterlist, but Extremely Condensed Adblocking List a bit too aggressive here ... body of Gmails not displayed. :oops:

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
On Firefox: Could be interaction with another add-on like DDG Privacy Essentials (been noticing some oddities with Container Tabs?), less likely another filterlist, but Extremely Condensed Adblocking List a bit too aggressive here ... body of Gmails not displayed. :oops:
there is no problem on my side. I use gmail everyday with all listed filters. I don't use any other privacy tool
maybe something is wrong on your side. check what is blocked and who blocks it

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
there is no problem on my side. I use gmail everyday with all listed filters. I don't use any other privacy tool
Interesting. Just when I disabled that filterlist, all was OK again. Will investigate further.

As a matter of interest, you don't use FF do you?

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Reactivated that filterlist with same result.
uBO Logger showed various Google scripts / XHRs, but not bothered to troubleshoot further.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Reactivated that filterlist with same result.
uBO Logger showed various Google scripts / XHRs, but not bothered to troubleshoot further.
for unknown reason, I disabled all filters, including my custom block&allow rules, and just left Extremely condensed filter
Open gmail, everything was loaded perfectly. There was only 1 block, which was google's ad (mail-ads.google.com)
The filter is definitely not the culprit in chrome
I think there is something wrong with ublock on firefox that I will investigate later

EDIT: I tested on firefox with extremely condensed list alone or with ublock default
exactly the same result. No difference from chrome

Last edited:

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I tried Extremely Condensed Adblocking List and I couldn't see body of my emails in Gmail on Edge and Chrome in two different devices ( pc and chromebook). Had to uninstall it. Ublock Origin default with 1Hosts (mini), Fanboy's Enhanced Tracking List and StevenBlack/hosts .
Same as paulderdash!

Last edited:

paulderdash

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Latter problem seems to have disappeared, along with other 'oddities', with release of FF 80.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Yes. What I meant to ask was what filter sources does the 1Hosts filter use? Like Steven Black filter uses AdAway list...
not sure, I dont particulary use 1host

also Steven Black doesnt use Adaway list

instead, Adaway and other sources are compiled into Steven Black's various host variations

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Browser startup time delayed by .7 second on what machine, with what specs? Would be interesting to know. Broader tires increase the friction and fuel consumption for a car accelerating. This is irrelevant when you are driving a Ferrari or a Porsche but may be relevant for cars with more humble specs and horse power.

The argument AGAINST adding a lot of rules: website breakage and browser startup delay.

Again mister GorHill completely misses the point on how the advertising industry is organized. There are no 800.000 advertising networks, the top 3 own 80 percent of the website traffic, the top500 around 95%. So even with a million (first-party) block rules the chance of triggering these rules is less than 0.1 percent (because there are so many websites in the world*). Better stick with well the maintained blocklists of for instance Adguard (first choice) or community maintained Easylist (second choice).

it is not about performance, it simply does not make sense knowing how the advertising industry is organized.

* Note on number of websites
Although the number of active websites (parked domains excluded in this count) is lowering (probably because of broad implementation of HTTPS), in 2020 at least over a billion websites should be active (link). So with a million (first-party) rules, you still have a small chance those rules will ever be triggered. Also a fair part of those rules are only hiding advertisements in stead of blocking them, so they don't add any value to your overall privacy.

1600589130473.png

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 78429

I don't know that it is right thread for this post. But I am having a little bit confusion with uBlock Origin. I am using NextDNS on my pc along with ublock origin on browsers. uBlock is blocking ads and tracking sites but I still see dns queries of those domains in NextDNS logs. But I as far as I know that uBlock origin blocks connection attempt for tracking domain within the browser, so how can I still see the dns queries for these domains? (Not all domains are there in NextDNS logs but still there are many.)

Last edited by a moderator:

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
But I as far as I know that uBlock origin blocks connection attempt for tracking domain within the browser, so how can I still see the dns queries for these domains? (Not all domains are there in NextDNS logs but still there are many.)
I have the same question. Brave and Edge browsers still show blocking activity with Next DNS installed. ???

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Good questions (y)

I think DNS filtering can't block all requestions because some parts are needed for a website to function.
So, DNS filtering is done very (sometimes too) carefully.
If you have lots of troubles accessing websites because of your chosen DNS provider, you will go to another one.

Almost all browsers (except Google Chrome) have their own built-in ad blockers.
I believe they will act before any extension can.

A lot of blocks for uBlock Origin and/or AdGuard come from cosmetic filtering.
With cosmetic filtering the resource is not completely blocked like with network filtering but hidden.

My uBlock Origin filter list has 55.732 network filters and 56.588 cosmetic filters.
With those cosmetic filters there are still DNS queries.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I think DNS filtering can't block all requestions because some parts are needed for a website to function.
So, DNS filtering is done very (sometimes too) carefully.
If you have lots of troubles accessing websites because of your chosen DNS provider, you will go to another one.
Yes. I had to adjust and remove some filters in NextDNS because of trouble connecting to one of my local news sites.
Almost all browsers (except Google Chrome) have their own built-in ad blockers.
I believe they will act before any extension can.
Yes again. I'm using built-in browser protection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.