Ubuntu: How to actually revert back to the classic apperance in 11.01

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vextor

Thread author
I know that many people that don't like the Unity interface here is how to get it back.
First Method:
1) When you logon, before you enter your password (if it's auto-login don't worry), at the bottom select the Ubuntu Classic out of the desktop choice. (Now if you don't want the new effects choose Ubuntu Classic (No effects)
2) Your done!
Second method:
1) Go to System>Administration>Login Screen
2) Select unlock. Enter the password if you aren't a admin (a admin's password)
3) Now select Ubuntu Classic (or Ubuntu Classic (no effects)) as the default session and close it
4) Your done!

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I run Ubuntu on a VM and the VMWare graphics drivers don't agree with Unity, so I can only run the classic view. So I voted no. :rolleyes:

win7holic

Apr 20, 2011
i'm run ubuntu on old machine
as you can see on "desktop show off"
on page 4 (if i'm not wrong)
using unity as well even small VGA memory
:p

silviu_c

Feb 28, 2011
I don't use Unity as I found it created a few issues with games run in cxgames and other applications.

I do, however, understand the reason for including it. Never really understood the people saying "oh no, not gonna use ubuntu 11.04 cuz it has unity". So what? Choose a classic desktop before login and boom, you're in familiar waters again, or install kubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop and choose that. Meh, whiners!

My gripe is with the compiz. They chose an unstable branch (0.9.x) and it does have a few problems.

LoftedAphid86

Feb 24, 2011
silviu_c said:
I don't use Unity as I found it created a few issues with games run in cxgames and other applications.

I do, however, understand the reason for including it. Never really understood the people saying "oh no, not gonna use ubuntu 11.04 cuz it has unity". So what? Choose a classic desktop before login and boom, you're in familiar waters again, or install kubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop and choose that. Meh, whiners!

My gripe is with the compiz. They chose an unstable branch (0.9.x) and it does have a few problems.
Which again can be rectified by installing Kubuntu.

If I may put in my tuppence worth, since Unity has been the subject to criticism of both the desktop environment and Ubuntu itself, the procedure that getting back to the old GNOME interface involves should be more clearly outlined without the requirement to search for answers on the internet.

silviu_c

Feb 28, 2011
You don't really need to install kubuntu, just the kubuntu-desktop metapackage ;)

As for an easier way to revert back to classic desktop in Ubuntu here's how diff types of users may view it(tbh I did not need to be hand-held or google around to change my desktop environment):

- newbie : Gets Unity, plays with it. If he likes it he will continue to use/test Ubuntu else he will dump it, say Windows rulez and goes on with his/her life

- medium user : Knows his/her way around. May decide he does not like Unity, switches to classic Gnome, Kde, Xfce whatever and never looks back

- advanced user : He does not need Unity. He read about it, maybe played with it but it does affect his workflow. After installing Ubuntu he selects classic desktop from the start

- advanced user - neckbeard variety : He already knows "Unity sucks" (tm) thus he will not use it anyway. Actually, he does not even use Ubuntu, but Arch linux or Gentoo. He does however voice his opinion about something he does not like for whatever reason and hopes the other people will "see the light" and use whatever he is using and maybe that they will follow him and worship him.

V

Vextor

Thread author
silviu_c said:
You don't really need to install kubuntu, just the kubuntu-desktop metapackage ;)

As for an easier way to revert back to classic desktop in Ubuntu here's how diff types of users may view it(tbh I did not need to be hand-held or google around to change my desktop environment):

- newbie : Gets Unity, plays with it. If he likes it he will continue to use/test Ubuntu else he will dump it, say Windows rulez and goes on with his/her life

- medium user : Knows his/her way around. May decide he does not like Unity, switches to classic Gnome, Kde, Xfce whatever and never looks back

- advanced user : He does not need Unity. He read about it, maybe played with it but it does affect his workflow. After installing Ubuntu he selects classic desktop from the start

- advanced user - neckbeard variety : He already knows "Unity sucks" (tm) thus he will not use it anyway. Actually, he does not even use Ubuntu, but Arch linux or Gentoo. He does however voice his opinion about something he does not like for whatever reason and hopes the other people will "see the light" and use whatever he is using and maybe that they will follow him and worship him.

Last part. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.