Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
After months of widespread anticipation, the latest version of Canonical's popular Linux distribution--Ubuntu 12.04 LTS “Precise Pangolin”--was released in its final form early Thursday morning.

“For PC users, Ubuntu 12.04 supports laptops, desktops, and netbooks with a unified look and feel based on an updated version of the desktop shell called 'Unity,' which introduces 'Head-Up Display' search capabilities,” wrote Ubuntu Release Manager Kate Stewart in the official announcement. “Finding and installing software using the Ubuntu Software Center is now easier thanks to improvements in speed, search, and usability.”

As a Long Term Support (LTS) release, Ubuntu 12.04 will be supported for a full five years on both desktops and servers, making it a particularly attractive choice for business users.

Read More

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
I'm upgrading as we speak, but I think a lot of others are as well, because the built-in updater is crawling...

I'm only averaging around 80kB/s on the download. :(

Might have been quicker to download the ISO. Even though I would be downloading more than I needed, at least then I could grab from multiple mirrors to speed things up.

HeffeD

Level 1
Feb 28, 2011
MetalShaun said:
I hate the unity desktop. I am currently trying out Xubuntu.

If you hate Unity, you can always use Gnome.

Xubuntu is nice and quick. You could also give Lubuntu a try. I prefer it over Xubuntu, although I do like Xubuntu.

odkurzacz

Level 1
Jun 14, 2011
MetalShaun said:

Try Cinnamon

http://www.linuxbsdos.com/2012/02/21/how-to-install-cinnamon-1-3-1-in-ubuntu-11-10/

MetalShaun

Level 1
Mar 3, 2011
HeffeD said:
MetalShaun said:

If you hate Unity, you can always use Gnome.

Xubuntu is nice and quick. You could also give Lubuntu a try. I prefer it over Xubuntu, although I do like Xubuntu.

Do you mean Gnome 3 or 2??? because Gnome 3 is horrible as well.

WinAndLinuxTutorials

Level 4
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 23, 2011
@MetalShaun: as said by our fellow member odkurzacz use Cinnamon. It is based on Gnome 3 but very customizable compared to the default Gnome 3. It is made by the guys who made Linux Mint. It is worth a try. Their official site is http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com

jamescv7

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Some reason that people doesn't want Ubuntu were likely due to resources usage requirements and customization thing similar to Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.