Troubleshoot Unable to locate Search-Operator.com extension for removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Infected operating system
macOS Mojave 10.14.4
Infected device issues
start page hijack, a notification that my browser is being managed by my organization.
Browsers affected by infection
  1. Chrome
Browser Settings: Homepage and Default Search Engine
Google is the default search engine, and there's no default homepage, since the browser opens with the New Tab page.
Browser extensions
AdBlock, Avast Online Security, Google Docs Offline, Hover Zoom

Fisch4billf

Thread author
Apr 10, 2019
Hi, I need some assistance in removing the Search-Operator.com extension from my instance of Google Chrome. I don't find it in the Applications folder, in the extensions folder in Chrome, or anywhere else suggested by the MalwareBytes site. My Chrome start page used to display several url shortcuts for my most used sites, but now has a strange multi-colored ribbon where "Google" used to be displayed, and all of my shortcut tabs are gone. I followed all the steps outlined, and have uninstalled and re-installed Chrome but it's still there. Can anyone help me get rid of this? I suspect it may have to do with installing FLVTO converter...Ma

Fisch4billf

Thread author
Apr 10, 2019
I was able to get this resolved. I uninstalled Chrome again, and then removed the com.google.Chrome and com.google.Keystone.Agent plists. Then I re-installed Chrome. Voila! Everything back to normal...

Stelliott44

Apr 15, 2019
I am having the same issue - where do you find the two plists - I have spent over 12 hours trying to fix this so HELP

Fisch4billf

Thread author
Apr 10, 2019
In Finder, click on Go > Go to Folder, and enter this path, substituting your actual user name: Users/*your user name*/Library/Preferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.