Advice Request Unable to print PDFs in Edge?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I can't seem to print PDFs from Edge, and it's my default browser. 😵‍💫 I reset printing options in FF settings and it still prints PDFs. Any help would be appreciated.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
I can't seem to print PDFs from Edge, and it's my default browser. 😵‍💫 I reset printing options in FF settings and it still prints PDFs. Any help would be appreciated.
Are your print dialogue options showing up, are there any error messages, does the print job show in the print queue, do you have the correct printer selected among the list of available printers in Edge?

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Forgive me if already did this), shut off printer, remove then reinstall, and or reinstall windows or system restore or a backup. Gl

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Are your print dialogue options showing up, are there any error messages
Yes. "Print preview failed", ...
, does the print job show in the print queue,
Yes, if I select print, then nothing happens otherwise ...
do you have the correct printer selected among the list of available printers in Edge?
AFAIK. I just changed Windows from "Let Windows manage your printer" > "Set as default". Same result.

Now I can't switch it back to "Let Windows manage .. "

• Wow
Reactions: Dave Russo

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
F

ForgottenSeer 98186

"Print preview failed", ...
This indicates a problem with Edge PDF driver or PDF file is not associated with Edge by default.

Method 3: Default apps.
  1. Press Windows + I key to launch Settings.
  2. Click on Apps and select Default apps from the left pane.
  3. Now scroll down and click on Choose default apps by file type.
  4. Scroll and look for .pdf, .pdxml, .cpdf and .pdx file type, then click on the + sign to change it to Edge

Can you download and then open PDF (right-click > Open with Edge), and then try to print?

Edge PDF driver issues sometimes require uninstall\reinstall of Edge.

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I don't have a hardware printer on the computer, but I just opened a pdf with Edge 109.0.1518.78 and "printed" it to a MS XPS doc writer file ok. Sorry not more help.
EDIT maybe if you could do what I just did, you could then print the xps on printer?? Even if yes, that could get awkward over time.

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
This indicates a problem with Edge PDF driver or PDF file is not associated with Edge by default.
I can't believe it. The solution turned out to be very simple but counter-intuitive: Edge>Ctrl + P> select "MS print to PDF". :rolleyes:

Never had this problem with Edge before. I was always able to print before this.

goodjohnjr

Level 5
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
I can't believe it. The solution turned out to be very simple but counter-intuitive: Edge>Ctrl + P> select "MS print to PDF". :rolleyes:

Never had this problem with Edge before. I was always able to print before this.
I use that option to save a website as a PDF, are saying that you used that option to send a print job to a printer to print a PDF on physical paper?

F

ForgottenSeer 98186

When I output to the printer, I have to select the physical printer in the drop-down menu. Of course I had to add it using the drop-down menu first.

I use "MS Print to PDF" to save a webpage to the local system as a PDF.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.