Solved unable to visit certain urls in Chrome - including malwaretips.com - but can visit in Edge

notsurewhat

Thread author
Oct 20, 2018
Hello,

I recently became concerned that I might have malware on my PC after clicking a link in an email. Malwarebytes and multiple antivirus programs (Kapersky, AVG) were run and no bad results were found. However, as I was doing more research, I came across at least two urls within google search results that I am unable to visit using Chrome:

Windows Anti-Rootkit Downloads
Compare Protection - What are the best rootkit scanners?

When I click on either of these links, I get a gray chrome page that says 'This site can't be reached. malwaretips.com is currently unreachable. ERR_SSL_VERSION_INTERFERENCE'

I cleared my complete Chrome history and retried without success. Both urls open fine in Edge and Edge is what I used to register for an account here to post this thread.

I downloaded and ran FRST as instructed. I am a little leery about posting these logs online: 1. is this safe? 2. can the files be deleted from the thread after a resolution is achieved?

Please help. Thank you.

notsurewhat

Thread author
Oct 20, 2018
it appears that one of the anti-virus apps that i had installed to scan had a firewall that was blocking the urls. i think i am good to go now. thank you and sorry to have taken your time.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.