Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Unbootable, No OS, Unable to detect hard drive, Locked Hard Drive?
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Windows 8 CD and Bootable USB, Command Prompt (DISKPART), Reset PC
Hello guys! I badly need some help... I have a very big problem with my PC and it all started yesterday. I've upgraded my PC to Windows 10, it seems okay at first but a BSOD (memory_management) occurred after a few minutes. So, I've decided to RESET the PC. The process lasts for 3hrs and is successful. After that, Windows 10 installation has started. It went up quickly to 10% and got stuck for almost 2hrs. Then a message popped out (I can't remember the message though) and it all went black. I have no choice but to do a "hard shutdown". Windows then ran the automatic repair but failed. Reinstalling Windows 8 didn't worked, no hard drive detected. Both "Reset your PC" (Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing) and "Refresh your PC" (The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again) didn't worked either. I've also tried to fix it in command prompt; DISKPART status: no media, size: 0, free: 0. I ran HP Hardware Diagnostics awhile ago; S.M.A.R.T. Test-Failed Error - 303. :( I've run out of ideas guys. :( I should've followed my gut instinct to do a clean install instead of upgrading.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Both "Reset your PC" (Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing) and "Refresh your PC" didn't worked either

Because Win10 create a new hidden partition, so in some systems like mine , the other partition "adresses" are modified (WIM stuff). Anyway i never use those features.

I've run out of ideas guys. :( I should've followed my gut instinct to do a clean install instead of upgrading.

If you don't have valuable datas to retrieve, delete the old Windows partition and those you have may created (better have a clean disk), keep the UEFI and the small system one (forget its denomination) if present .
If you have valuable datas, create a Linux live CD and boot from it , you should access your partitions.

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
If you don't have valuable datas to retrieve, delete the old Windows partition and those you have may created (better have a clean disk), keep the UEFI and the small system one (forget its denomination) if present .
How to delete it? Good thing I've backed up my personal files before this happened.

EDIT: Should I use bootrec.exe?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

So the last resort is using a Linux Live CD, run Gparted, and format all the drives i mentioned earlier to NTFS or delete all of them and create new clean partitions.

maybe someone will come up with a better solutions but personally i am a format kind of guy (faster and no hassle ) :p

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
So the last resort is using a Linux Live CD, run Gparted, and format all the drives i mentioned earlier to NTFS or delete all of them and create new clean partitions.

maybe someone will come up with a better solutions but personally i am a format kind of guy (faster and no hassle ) :p
Thanks @Umbra. Luckily, my brother has a spare USB. Downloading Linux Mint now. What about Partition Wizard Bootable CD?

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
@King Mellow were you not saying the other the other day in a different thread that your HDD was failing, maybe that is what happened.
I haven't seen any signs of failing HDD (unusual sounds, slow transfer rate, etc.). I'm very confident it is still in good condition.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.