Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Briefly explain your current issue(s)
Unbootable, No OS, Unable to detect hard drive, Locked Hard Drive?
Steps taken to resolve, but have been unsuccessful
Windows 8 CD and Bootable USB, Command Prompt (DISKPART), Reset PC
Hello guys! I badly need some help... I have a very big problem with my PC and it all started yesterday. I've upgraded my PC to Windows 10, it seems okay at first but a BSOD (memory_management) occurred after a few minutes. So, I've decided to RESET the PC. The process lasts for 3hrs and is successful. After that, Windows 10 installation has started. It went up quickly to 10% and got stuck for almost 2hrs. Then a message popped out (I can't remember the message though) and it all went black. I have no choice but to do a "hard shutdown". Windows then ran the automatic repair but failed. Reinstalling Windows 8 didn't worked, no hard drive detected. Both "Reset your PC" (Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing) and "Refresh your PC" (The drive where Windows is installed is locked. Unlock the drive and try again) didn't worked either. I've also tried to fix it in command prompt; DISKPART status: no media, size: 0, free: 0. I ran HP Hardware Diagnostics awhile ago; S.M.A.R.T. Test-Failed Error - 303. :( I've run out of ideas guys. :( I should've followed my gut instinct to do a clean install instead of upgrading.

Last edited:

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
emCAC38.png

Only Linux Mint Bootable USB showed up.

Reactions: Der.Reisende
Upvote 0

viktik

Level 25
Verified
Well-known
Sep 17, 2013
Check in BIOS if it is detecting the hard disk or not.
if BIOS is not detecting the hard disk then definitely there is some hardware problem.
BIOS detects the hard disk even if it has some bit of failure. I know it because i kept using a failing hard disk for many years. So if BIOS is not detecting any hard disk then hard disk has totally failed. Or it is not properly connected.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
And when you click here
View attachment 104626
only USB is shown?
Yes. :(

For the second time, I tried DISKPART.exe and here's the result;

DISKPART> list disk

Disk### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 3841 MB 0 B
Disk 1 No Media 0 B

DISKPART> sel disk 1

Disk 1 is now selected disk.

DISKPART> list vol

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----- ----- --------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 0 E DVD-ROM 0 B No Media
Volume 1 C ESD-ISO NTFS Removable 3840 MB Healthy
Volume 2 D Removable 0 B No Media

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Check in BIOS if it is detecting the hard disk or not.
if BIOS is not detecting the hard disk then definitely there is some hardware problem.
BIOS detects the hard disk even if it has some bit of failure. I know it because i kept using a failing hard disk for many years. So if BIOS is not detecting any hard disk then hard disk has totally failed. Or it is not properly connected.
How? Thanks bro!

Upvote 0

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
After that, try to see if HDD is shown in GParted. If not, please download HirensBootCD from this link
http://www.hirensbootcd.org/files/Hirens.BootCD.15.2.zip
Unzip it and make a bootable USB using Rufus or YUMI (anything about creating multiboot USB you can see following my signature). Try some HDD diagnostic tools from DOS Menu within Hirens Boot.
Alternatively you can download Minitool Partition Wizard to check if it's able to see your HDD
https://www.partitionwizard.com/download/pwfree91-x86.iso
https://www.partitionwizard.com/download/pwfree91-x64.iso
Create bootable USB with Rufus.

Tell us the results. If your HDD isn't shown after all, it's probably dead.

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Connected HDD to laptop. Disk Management says "No Media".

Okay, I give up. :( All my hope is gone.

EDIT: Using my old Laptop's HDD (300GB). Currently installing Windows 8.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.