I am using Mcafee from my ISP for now, but good to know about Kaspersky!
What is it with McAfee and ISPs? Do they have some kind of deal because anyone with a half a brain knows that McAfee sucks and would never pay for it and McAfee is losing revenue, is that why so many ISPs seems to offer McAfee?

Stopspying

Level 8
I never need such a tool.
Just don't click next without reading. This is always a good behavior.

Also if programs adding unwanted stuff, don't install them at all.
Problem solved.
I follow the same course of action when installing new software. I did have Unchecky installed for a while a few years ago and found it to be more of a hinderance than useful. Occasionally I wanted something checked during the setup stages prior to actual installation so I had to re-check that Unchecky had accepted that I had the ultimate decision making power - not unchecked what I wanted checked.

It might take longer to follow the DIY route, but at least I get to choose what I want done.

Spawn

Administrator
Verified
Staff member
If these apply, then yes.

Click-happy without reading what is being installed.
Frequently installing freeware with bundled/sponsored/ad-supported software.

Most won't need it, or it's incorporated into their security software such as Kaspersky.

It is also incorporated into - Reason Security - although software does not appear to be supported.

roger_m

Level 29
Verified
Content Creator
It is also incorporated into - Reason Security - although software does not appear to be supported.
Reason Security was replaced by Reason Antivirus late last year (it has the same website) and I presume that it is supported.

Edit. I see that they're still regularly updating their blog, so I would say that Reason Antivirus is supported. But it's not a product I recommend.

Tutman

Level 4
What is it with McAfee and ISPs? Do they have some kind of deal because anyone with a half a brain knows that McAfee sucks and would never pay for it and McAfee is losing revenue, is that why so many ISPs seems to offer McAfee?
I have used Kaspersky on and off for years (free version) and just switched to using McAfee a few weeks ago and it is lighter than kaspersky plus I get software booster and a firewall integrated free. This is NOT the same McAfee of years ago. And at least I have HALF a brain. What about you? ;)