Advice Request Unchecky, still relevant or not?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Kaspersky Internet Security has a funcionality on one of its module that works as UnChecky, in case you're looking for an alternative :)

1593379916182.png

May 14, 2020
I am using Mcafee from my ISP for now, but good to know about Kaspersky!
What is it with McAfee and ISPs? Do they have some kind of deal because anyone with a half a brain knows that McAfee sucks and would never pay for it and McAfee is losing revenue, is that why so many ISPs seems to offer McAfee?

Reactions: Cortex

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
I never need such a tool.
Just don't click next without reading. This is always a good behavior.

Also if programs adding unwanted stuff, don't install them at all.
Problem solved.
I follow the same course of action when installing new software. I did have Unchecky installed for a while a few years ago and found it to be more of a hinderance than useful. Occasionally I wanted something checked during the setup stages prior to actual installation so I had to re-check that Unchecky had accepted that I had the ultimate decision making power - not unchecked what I wanted checked.

It might take longer to follow the DIY route, but at least I get to choose what I want done.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If these apply, then yes.

Click-happy without reading what is being installed.
Frequently installing freeware with bundled/sponsored/ad-supported software.

Most won't need it, or it's incorporated into their security software such as Kaspersky.

It is also incorporated into - Reason Security - although software does not appear to be supported.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It is also incorporated into - Reason Security - although software does not appear to be supported.
Reason Security was replaced by Reason Antivirus late last year (it has the same website) and I presume that it is supported.

Edit. I see that they're still regularly updating their blog, so I would say that Reason Antivirus is supported. But it's not a product I recommend.

Tutman

Level 12
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 17, 2020
What is it with McAfee and ISPs? Do they have some kind of deal because anyone with a half a brain knows that McAfee sucks and would never pay for it and McAfee is losing revenue, is that why so many ISPs seems to offer McAfee?
I have used Kaspersky on and off for years (free version) and just switched to using McAfee a few weeks ago and it is lighter than kaspersky plus I get software booster and a firewall integrated free. This is NOT the same McAfee of years ago. And at least I have HALF a brain. What about you? ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.