SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
for the future: put your user account control on highest setting. then cerber (and most other malware) won't be able to run unless you specifically allow it.
This is totally wrong info. Ransomware don't need to elevate to encrypt files and those that need elevation do it for other reasons. Take a look here if you are not convinced.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Here the problem is that the site has always been like that. Perhaps a new user would think it suspect, but someone accustomed to it (which is my case) wouldn't have any suspicion. And even so, it is a tool that we ask our customers to install when we want to do remote support, and they usually have no clue about computers and will run the exe anyway. "Fortunately" I was infected before we could ask another customer to install it. I can't imagine the consequences of a customer losing all its data because of us.
I hope this post and the submissions I made to the antivirus companies will prevent this kind of propagation.
Sure, understood. And in the name of providing the best service you can to customers, have you considered moving away from the free solutions and maybe to a more secure Paid software.
TeamViewer is a good one and they offer custom paid plans for small businesses ?
Thats just one, there are quite a few that could suit your needs.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
This is totally wrong info. Ransomware don't need to elevate to encrypt files and those that need elevation do it for other reasons. Take a look here if you are not convinced.

Thanks for this, Shamu and I have had this discussion before, UAC is crap and can be bypassed, VoodooShield is my surrogate UAC
its far more reliable than UAC. While UAC does afford some level of protection, advanced users are smart to be weary of it and
bolster it, I do this with VS.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for this, Shamu and I have had this discussion before, UAC is crap and can be bypassed, VoodooShield is my surrogate UAC
its far more reliable than UAC. While UAC does afford some level of protection, advanced users are smart to be weary of it and
@_CyberGhosT_, do you completely disable UAC (everything is elevated -> risky) or just set it to "do not dim..." or you still have enableLUA = 1 with UAC at lowest level?

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
UAC main point of protection is securing Program files and Windows folders. That's the only use i have for it and it's doing a pretty good job at it.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@_CyberGhosT_, do you completely disable UAC (everything is elevated -> risky) or just set it to "do not dim..." or you still have enableLUA = 1 with UAC at lowest level?
I can run with it completely disabled with VS on guard and often do. If I am on a website I think looks a bit untrustworthy I will set it to "do not dim"
Thanks for asking.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@SHvFl thanks for clarification.
cerber is in fact one of those nasty ransomwares that will encrypt even before connecting to C & C.
so according to what you saying, the UAC prompt will come after the encryption already took place?

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
@SHvFl thanks for clarification.
cerber is in fact one of those nasty ransomwares that will encrypt even before connecting to C & C.
so according to what you saying, the UAC prompt will come after the encryption already took place?
Don't know exactly how cerber works and if it's so bad coded that it needs uac to do anything but i doubt it. Encryption doesn't need elevation if you stay out of protected locations so a ransomware doesn't need to prompt uac. Now if cerber does and if you block it doesn't encrypt then it's bad design by the developer but don't hope all devs will do the same mistakes.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Don't know exactly how cerber works and if it's so bad coded that it needs uac to do anything but i doubt it. Encryption doesn't need elevation if you stay out of protected locations so a ransomware doesn't need to prompt uac. Now if cerber does and if you block it doesn't encrypt then it's bad design by the developer but don't hope all devs will do the same mistakes.
so what does ransomware need, in order to get to the stage of encrypting?
does it need powershell, or script interpreters?

Reactions: Logethica

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
so what does ransomware need, in order to get to the stage of encrypting?
does it need powershell, or script interpreters?
okay, I think I get it now.
ransomware can be delivered in various ways. it can be delivered by powershell or script, but that is not the only way to deliver it.

Sumit Verma

Level 1
Sep 14, 2016
firefox downloaded corrupt file

downloaded from chrome and same happened

now downloaded from Edge and ITS WORKING, files are being decrypted... finally

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 350

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
okay, I think I get it now.
ransomware can be delivered in various ways. it can be delivered by powershell or script, but that is not the only way to deliver it.
Correct. They can use what you mentioned to do various stuff but it doesn't mean they have to use them.

Reactions: Logethica

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.