HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
A lightweight approach to removing Google web service dependency

Note: this is an Android build. It is currently experimental.

ungoogled-chromium is Google Chromium, sans dependency on Google web services. It also features some tweaks to enhance privacy, control, and transparency (almost all of which require manual activation or enabling).

ungoogled-chromium retains the default Chromium experience as closely as possible. Unlike other Chromium forks that have their own visions of a web browser, ungoogled-chromium is essentially a drop-in replacement for Chromium.

Download from below

Note :- No support for extensions yet

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
So... on a phone that everything sends telemetry for location and advertising profiling, people spend so much time to un-google the chrome browser..
First of all, it is a waste of coding, most other apps, especially the google ones continue to send telemetry.
Instead of de-googling chrome, one can simply disable the app and use another browser of their choice on their android phones.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
So... on a phone that everything sends telemetry for location and advertising profiling, people spend so much time to un-google the chrome browser..
First of all, it is a waste of coding, most other apps, especially the google ones continue to send telemetry.
Instead of de-googling chrome, one can simply disable the app and use another browser of their choice on their android phones.
If you use

iOS will connect to Apple
Firefox will connect to Mozilla
Opera likely will connect to the Chinese
Yandex browser is Russian
Linux browsers are good but apps are very less
Bromite, Kiwi and other chromium-based browsers are not ungoogled

So which browser do you want?

Gangelo

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 29, 2017
If you use

iOS will connect to Apple
Firefox will connect to Mozilla
Opera likely will connect to the Chinese
Yandex browser is Russian
Linux browsers are good but apps are very less
Bromite, Kiwi and other chromium-based browsers are not ungoogled

So which browser do you want?
My point is that de-googling chrome on a google created operating system with google services is pointless.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Would the Brave browser also provide an un-googled version of Chromium ?
I know its available on iOS, I haven't checked for Android.
If you look at

It is mentioned it needs Google services if you install extensions and one or two services not proxied yet. So if brave browser supports extension for its Android version then it'll also need Google services

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
FI, the developer of Ungoogled Chromium for android is hardworking to incorporate the extension capability into his build. The Kiwi browser developer is also offering his help

Can't wait for it and others like Brave and Bromite to be released too.

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Ungoogled Chromium for android with extension support to be released in 1 to 2 days time. Developer is fixing some last minute minor bugs. Go to the bottom of link and read his comment

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
v83.0.4103.61-1
  • Add extension-support version
    • This version is highly experimental and is not intended for daily usage yet! See README#Extensions
    • Extension removal is not implemented yet
    • The package will have a name org.ungoogled.chromium.extensions
  • Resolve #20, #23
  • Partially resolve #19, #21

To install extensions follow instructions here

Download here

EDIT :- Tried loading a few extensions on my android phone but gives the below error message. Note that I have no issue loading unpacked extensions into my desktop Ungoogled Chromium

'Manifest file is missing or unreadable. Could not load manifest'

I think I'll just hold off for another few releases

Another problem reported at website now

I'm experiencing the 2 different problems above depending on the phone I'm using

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
v83.0.4103.106-1 released

Changelog

• Extension version:
    • Fix a bug preventing non Android 10 phones from installing extensions from url
  • Website for ungoogled-chromium-android is now online at https://uc.droidware.info.

Download here

HarborFront

Level 71
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
v83.0.4103.116-1 released

Changelog

• Add update notification (resolve #22). Note: this is disabled by default since it will ping my server at uc.droidware.info. To enable, change #enable-inline-update-flow to Enabled.
  • Reverse the removal of flags #enable-process-sharing-with-default-site-instances and #enable-process-sharing-with-strict-site-instances.
  • Extension version:

Download

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.