Advice Request Uninstall program selection

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Revo Pro Portable.. Pay one price, install it, put in the license. Then you can copy it onto every computer you ever use and it is fully licensed. Everything else I have tested didn't measure up.

Revo Uninstaller Pro - Buy Now

The way the license works on the Pro Portable is - you get about 10 activation's. After that you need to contact them to reset the key. However, if you copy the portable to a computer or stick, activate it, then you can put that activated one on a stick and copy it to unlimited PC's for a fully activated Revo Pro!

It makes no sense not to buy it given that extremely liberal licensing policy.

Weebarra

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 5, 2017
Another vote for Revo here ( paid version but free from a competition) although i don't have much to compare it to. Up until that point, i had only used the built in uninstall from windows so i was a bit scared using it the first time but it creates a back up/restore point for you if things go belly up

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I use revo uninstaller free, its also removes any AV and than removes all the leftovers, very happy with it.
It won't remove all the leftovers of antiviruses, unless you actually use Revo to monitor the install of the antivirus, which is something you can only do with the paid Pro version. If you do that, it keeps a record of every file and registry key the av uses, so it can delete everything, the av's own uninstaller misses. If you're just using the regular scan for leftovers, there can be components of the antivirus remaining on your system, which can cause conflicts (e.g. slowdowns or BSODs) with future antiviruses you use.

I use COMODO Programs Manager to monitor the installation of any security software I use, so it can be cleanly uninstalled.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

It's much better than Revo, in my opinion. Do you have any evidence of this?

Evidence is, putting it in a VM, watching the WAN traversal activities and correlating it with SIEM logs. As for the service, you should be able to find that running in the background along with background tasks in TS.

Reactions: OutOfBounds

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
As for the service, you should be able to find that running in the background along with background tasks in TS.
The service is used to scan in the background for software being uninstalled. When it detects that a program has been uninstalled, it will give you the option to remove any leftovers it found.

What sort of telemetry data is being sent?

Last edited:

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If you want to fully uninstall an antivirus product I really recommend you use the developer's uninstall tool... force uninstalling and even cleaning an antivirus with 3rd party software can cause all kinds of trouble.
I agree with you that removing the developer's removal tool is the best option, and force uninstalling can cause issues. However, using third party uninstallers is safe, as they run the programs uninstaller before they scan for leftovers. In the case of IObit Uninstaller, it can scan for leftovers after rebooting. So if the uninstaller wants to restart Windows, you can let it do so and then scan for leftovers after rebooting. You can't do this with Revo or other uninstallers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.