uninstall Security Software before install of Win 8.1?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
hello

i wonder if it would not be wise to uninstall all Security Software excpt mabe Win Defender(aka.MSE) when you upgrade to
Win 8.1 to avoid conflicts because just turning things off is not the same as uninstalling (drivers ect.)

i know it would be a pain for most people but i think it would be wise also giving the past upgrades of like Win Xp sp2
where Security software could interfear with the install

what do you all think?

thanks

James

:)

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Not sure about your question? But Windows 8.1 is going to be like a service pack update from what I hear about it!

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
what i'm asking is could Security software interfear with the install of Win 8.1 like it has in the past?

and do's that mean uninstalling Security software because just disabling it is not the same as uninstalling

Win Defender is part of Win 8 so i do not think it counts but could still be turned off when installing Win 8.1

back when Win xp sp2 came out it was said to uninstall all Security software to install it because people were
having trouble with the install because of Security software conflicts and the install thats why i ask?

thanks

James

D

Deleted member 178

do you go to be heart-surgered with a bulletproof vest?

just to say, new big upgrades = new files & components not yet whitelisted, better uninstall than feel sorry later if the 5gb update fail

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Like a service pack, but released as a new OS.

Better to uninstall and start a fresh.

Moose

Level 22
Jun 14, 2011
Hi jim lin,

How about going to the right hand bottom corner of your screen. And turning your security software off by right clicking and turning them off/shutdown until the PC restart. This will save the trouble of re-installing all
security software. If you find out that you need to uninstall completely let us know?

jim lin

Level 8
Thread author
Aug 6, 2012
thank you Moose i understand and this is to help others as i know how to upgrade

i have a Windows 8 pc and so when Win 8.1 comes out and poeple start to upgrade thay should remember that
Security software can interfear with the install of Win 8.1 and thay can have trouble

some Antivirus and Firewalls software can be hard to disable and have self defence and other things like
some kind of HIPS,Behavioural blockers,drivers ect. that can interfear with the install and just turning
the program off might not be enough to not interfear

so i'm asking if you all think it would be wise to tell people to uninstall there Security Software before
starting the upgrade to Win 8.1?

thanks

James

woomera

Level 7
Verified
Jan 15, 2012
no, you dont need to uninstall them first. if the installation go through then non-compatible products will be disabled by default. you wont see them anywhere except the folder in program files folder.
if it doesnt go through fully cause of incompatible software/driver it will roll back to 8.

i had several experiences so there it is.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If someone plans to upgrade to Windows 8.1, then it's a good idea to uninstall security software.

Incompatible software and roll back to Windows 8 will cause more of delay, and defeat the purpose of even trying to upgrade to Windows 8.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.