Battle Uninstaller clean-up comparison (Free Edition)

Compare list
HiBit, Revo, Wise, Geek, IOBit, Glarysoft

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Just did a testing of 6 free uninstallers to see their cleanup capabilities after un-installation. I used Rollback-RX to take the machine back to it's original state after each test.

HiBit Uninstaller, Revo Uninstaller, IOBit Uninstaller, Geek Uninstaller, Wise Program Uninstaller & Glarysoft Absolute Uninstaller were used for the initial tests. The software that was used to do the testing on (install & uninstall) is Google Chrome. Here are the results and my rankings in order. It may not be conclusive as I haven't tested many programs for the verdict.

I will try to test by checking the effectiveness with other software's too as I just started with Google Chrome, and will update the list with paid uninstallers later on. Please let me know what other programs should I do the testing on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VERDICT

1. HiBit uninstaller
2. Revo uninstaller free
3. Wise program uninstaller
4. Geek uninstaller free
5. IObit uninstaller free
6. Glarysoft absolute uninstaller free

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DETAILED TEST RESULTS
Spoiler
1. HiBit Uninstaller Free

Leftovers found
163 files and folders
71 registry entries
1 service driver

Deleted folders (includes all sub-folders)
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\*
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\*

Deleted registry entries (includes all sub-keys)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Google\*
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Google\*

Service driver
Google Chrome elevation service

Net Leftovers after un-installation: None

2. Revo Uninstaller Free

Leftovers found
149 files and folders (217 in total, not sure how)
46 registry entries
1 service driver

Deleted folders:

Deleted registry entries
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\*

Net Leftovers after un-installation:
Folders:
Registry entries:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\

3. Wise Program Uninstaller

Leftovers found
158 files and folders
3 registry entries (was surprised at this, but it was showing only parent values)

Deleted folders:

Deleted registry entries
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Google\Update\*
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\*

Folders:
Registry entries:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Google\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Google\

4. Geek Uninstaller Free

Leftovers found
151 files and folders
41 registry entries

Deleted folders:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\*

Deleted registry entries

Folders:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\
Registry entries:

5. IOBit Uninstaller Free (not recommended)

Leftovers found
0 Files and Folders
0 Registry entries
1 service driver

Deleted folders: None

Deleted registry entries: None

Folders:
Registry entries:

6. Glarysoft Absolute Uninstaller Free (not recommended)

Leftovers found
0 Files and Folders
0 Registry entries

Deleted folders: None

Deleted registry entries: None

Folders:
Registry entries:

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
The latest SUMo build has built-in uninstaller now, using BCuninstaller source-code. The only curious thing I wonder now is... how did KCsoftware make it lightweight portable while the original source-code is at least 400MB in size (again for portable; after extracting .7z file), since introduction of v5.0 where they had to bundle the .NET 5 framework along with it.

dabluez98

Level 3
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
My fear with HiBit is that it may delete necessary stuff by accident given that it always comes first, in fact I think it may have done something like that to me.
But Rev I have never had that experience with.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
My fear with HiBit is that it may delete necessary stuff by accident given that it always comes first, in fact I think it may have done something like that to me.
But Rev I have never had that experience with.
You don't really have to delete anything. You can safely just skip the leftover(s) deletion process and use it as a batch uninstaller, which is a feature Microsoft doesn't do on its own. Folders are easily identifiable to see whether they're leftovers and where they are located. Registry keys however, I can still see your point, but the same principle applies. Don't enable anything you're not sure about, no matter how sophisticated the scanner/cleaner function is.

Never blindly click "tick all" and delete! Ever!

dabluez98

Level 3
Verified
Oct 2, 2018
i agree with u, although i have been spoiled and have been doing that with revo (deleting everything on 'advanced') without running to trouble ever. but once with hibit i ran into trouble. Although...i agree with you, the problems that deleting everything without know what u doing creates outweigh any advantages you gain.

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
The latest SUMo build has built-in uninstaller now, using BCuninstaller source-code.
Where do you see this? I'm fully updated.
qV7j7fo.png

Reactions: Nevi
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

The only curious thing I wonder now is... how did KCsoftware make it lightweight portable while the original source-code is at least 400MB in size (again for portable; after extracting .7z file), since introduction of v5.0 where they had to bundle the .NET 5 framework along with it.
A mystery 😉, certainly worth asking the developer. Thx for sharing

Reactions: Nevi

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Here you go, ticket number 0006786: Change Log - MantisBT

ps: I know a lot of supposedly outdated stuff, the auto-update hasn't quite caught up with the SUMo database versions yet. :p
It probably means now it can detect BC uninstaller and update, not that it included its uninstallation capabilities. That delete button works similarly to the ignore button.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
It probably means now it can detect BC uninstaller and update, not that it included its uninstallation capabilities. That delete button works similarly to the ignore button.
You might be right, I double-checked it just in case. It seems I still had an older version installed somewhere in the dark corners of my SSD where no light treads. (y)

codswollip

Level 23
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 29, 2017
1633116347608-png.260976

Well… this is not at all clear… looking at the toolbar, one expects Remove and Add to be opposites, where Add simply points to an executable… Remove would seem to merely drop the selected item… like a permanent "Ignore"

The context menu is similarly befuddling… We see Ignore again, but Delete in place of Remove (??) and no Add. So it is unclear whether Delete and Remove are the same functionally and just a translation anomaly.

What's up @Kyle_Katarn ?

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I did double uninstallations for ~10 programs with Revo Pro and Hibit. Now, I have a conclusion about these 2
double uninstallation: open 2 uninstallers simultaneously, use 1 program first, then the other one
5 times, I used hibit first, then revo. Both on Advanced scan
5 times, I used revo first, then hibit. Both on Advanced scan

After using Revo, 5/5, Hibit found NOTHING
After using Hibit, 4/5 times, Revo found SOMETHING. Mostly, registry leftovers, somtimes, file leftovers

-> Revo Pro on Advanced scan wins all the way but hibit is still the best free alternative
there are a few occasions, both of them missed a folder of a program, because the folder name had nothing related to the program. For example, name of software developer
Thanks for the test :)

I haven't used Revo Pro yet, but does it have installation monitoring capabilities? If that's the case, this isn't turned on by default in Hibit but instead have to go through it manually, the last time I used it. Did you add the program into Install monitor in Hibit?

The caveat then I see with this testing is that, if you are installing a program then I would rather use the install monitor within Hibit to compare with Revo and detect leftovers one after the other.

Hibit just gives us an option here, without needing to run a service continuously in the background., which I like and you can always use the monitor function if you need to by adding the installer to it. There is a pro and con here, if you don't mind to have a service running, then Revo Pro is the way to go, if you dont want to go through the trouble of installing from Hibit.

By the way I haven't used Windows in like 6 months, so not sure how they stack up now or the features they have :D I'm a happy Linux geek now with Endeavour OS (Arch KDE) distro as my primary OS, after much distro hopping and hours of customization. I see myself pampering too much, to customize each and everything on my screen to make it look the way I want it to. Damn KDE :D

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I haven't used Revo Pro yet, but does it have installation monitoring capabilities? If that's the case, this isn't turned on by default in Hibit but instead have to go through it manually, the last time I used it. Did you add the program into Install monitor in Hibit?
revo does have installation monitor, and which is really strong
in my test, I didn't use that feature in both products to provide a fair comparison. I didn't even turn of the Profile/Preset uninstallation in Revo (database of program leftovers in revo). If I use the preset, Revo would beat itself in advanced scan mode and hibit all the way
by the way, I saw the Hibit's changelog and there is an improvement. I will test it when I have time, again

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.