Battle Uninstaller clean-up comparison (Free Edition)

Compare list
HiBit, Revo, Wise, Geek, IOBit, Glarysoft

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Just did a testing of 6 free uninstallers to see their cleanup capabilities after un-installation. I used Rollback-RX to take the machine back to it's original state after each test.

HiBit Uninstaller, Revo Uninstaller, IOBit Uninstaller, Geek Uninstaller, Wise Program Uninstaller & Glarysoft Absolute Uninstaller were used for the initial tests. The software that was used to do the testing on (install & uninstall) is Google Chrome. Here are the results and my rankings in order. It may not be conclusive as I haven't tested many programs for the verdict.

I will try to test by checking the effectiveness with other software's too as I just started with Google Chrome, and will update the list with paid uninstallers later on. Please let me know what other programs should I do the testing on.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VERDICT

1. HiBit uninstaller
2. Revo uninstaller free
3. Wise program uninstaller
4. Geek uninstaller free
5. IObit uninstaller free
6. Glarysoft absolute uninstaller free

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DETAILED TEST RESULTS
Spoiler
1. HiBit Uninstaller Free

Leftovers found
163 files and folders
71 registry entries
1 service driver

Deleted folders (includes all sub-folders)
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\*
C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\*

Deleted registry entries (includes all sub-keys)
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Google\*
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Google\*

Service driver
Google Chrome elevation service

Net Leftovers after un-installation: None

2. Revo Uninstaller Free

Leftovers found
149 files and folders (217 in total, not sure how)
46 registry entries
1 service driver

Deleted folders:

Deleted registry entries
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\*

Net Leftovers after un-installation:
Folders:
Registry entries:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\

3. Wise Program Uninstaller

Leftovers found
158 files and folders
3 registry entries (was surprised at this, but it was showing only parent values)

Deleted folders:

Deleted registry entries
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\*
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Google\Update\*
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\*

Folders:
Registry entries:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Google\
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Google\

4. Geek Uninstaller Free

Leftovers found
151 files and folders
41 registry entries

Deleted folders:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\*

Deleted registry entries

Folders:
C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Google\
Registry entries:

5. IOBit Uninstaller Free (not recommended)

Leftovers found
0 Files and Folders
0 Registry entries
1 service driver

Deleted folders: None

Deleted registry entries: None

Folders:
Registry entries:

6. Glarysoft Absolute Uninstaller Free (not recommended)

Leftovers found
0 Files and Folders
0 Registry entries

Deleted folders: None

Deleted registry entries: None

Folders:
Registry entries:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
It's been some time since I used it, but from memory it doesn't do a good job of finding leftovers.
I wanted to try a portable version, but it doesn't seem to be distributed in that way.

I'm particular about the portable version of the uninstall software. Because it makes me feel a bit strange to install the uninstaller software using the installer.

The uninstall software installed using the installer must be uninstalled using another uninstall software. Install the new uninstall software and delete the old oneo_O. It is an infinite chaino_O. Using the portable version is essential to get out of that endless corridor.

Jul 29, 2020
We apologize for the delayed response.

I thought the portable version was only limited to the Pro version, but I can see that it's offered in the free version now as well. Was it any different before?
Version 1.x.x of Revo Uninstaller Freeware indeed lacked a portable option, however, with the second major release (2.x.x), we introduced the portable as well.

Because the "suitable for use with USB stick" is not checked under Revo Uninstaller Freeware under this link.

Revo Uninstaller Products comparison link
The comparison is based on the standard (installable) version, as the inclusion of another column might make the table look a bit too large and clunky, however, we will pass on the feedback.

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Was and still am a user of Revo Uninstaller in most of my systems, however on the gaming system, I have been using Hibit since i caught wind of such tool existence and its been enough from day one to keep it in one of my systems.

I do recommend Iobit uninstaller but the old 2.4 version, not the new ones. Old 2.4 was by far the best before it got messed up.

jackuars

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
Expanded the testing to 9 other uninstallers - more details yet to be included. You can read my full review at Gizmo's Freeware as editor George.J in the next few days for the Best Free Uninstaller category. Note: Only free version of the softwares were tested.

Leftover files cleaning have been tested with
  • CCleaner,
  • Google Chrome,
  • Internet Download Manager,
  • Adobe Flash Player,
  • IrfanView,
  • MediaPlayer Codec Pack,
  • Imgburn,
  • Shareit,
  • Skype &
  • Winrar.
Will post more details later on.

Full review up and live at Gizmo's Freeware - Best Free Program Uninstaller category

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I did double uninstallations for ~10 programs with Revo Pro and Hibit. Now, I have a conclusion about these 2
double uninstallation: open 2 uninstallers simultaneously, use 1 program first, then the other one
5 times, I used hibit first, then revo. Both on Advanced scan
5 times, I used revo first, then hibit. Both on Advanced scan

After using Revo, 5/5, Hibit found NOTHING
After using Hibit, 4/5 times, Revo found SOMETHING. Mostly, registry leftovers, somtimes, file leftovers

-> Revo Pro on Advanced scan wins all the way but hibit is still the best free alternative
there are a few occasions, both of them missed a folder of a program, because the folder name had nothing related to the program. For example, name of software developer

CyberTech

Level 44
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 10, 2017
I did double uninstallations for ~10 programs with Revo Pro and Hibit. Now, I have a conclusion about these 2
double uninstallation: open 2 uninstallers simultaneously, use 1 program first, then the other one
5 times, I used hibit first, then revo. Both on Advanced scan
5 times, I used revo first, then hibit. Both on Advanced scan

After using Revo, 5/5, Hibit found NOTHING
After using Hibit, 4/5 times, Revo found SOMETHING. Mostly, registry leftovers, somtimes, file leftovers

-> Revo Pro on Advanced scan wins all the way but hibit is still the best free alternative
there are a few occasions, both of them missed a folder of a program, because the folder name had nothing related to the program. For example, name of software developer
Thanks for testing both of them

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Recently, I haven't seen the topic of Geek. Previously it was updated frequently.
I found geek is inferior to hibit. geek requires pro version to do batch uninstallation and there is no option for advanced scanning
it's not even as good as hibit and revo in normal scanning mode

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Geek does have the advantage of being next to nothing in size for small sized USB kits, but it has a terrible reputation for maintenance/support if I look at the changelogs. Don't get me wrong, I have used it for years and then replaced it with bcuninstaller until it became a mammoth in size last year.

From what I understood the pro-version, if you can call it that is a sponsored marketing, the code or something was used in it for the uninstaller feature of that pack. If you click it you get to Crystalidea UninstallTool and not GeekUninstaller Pro, been like that for as long as I know of the software.

Reactions: roger_m and show-Zi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.