Uninstallers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ng4ever

Level 17
Thread author
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Are uninstallers snake oil ? (Don't really do what they say) Like for example Revo uninstaller, etc ?

Is it worth buying one for the more advanced features ?

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Uninstallers remove leftovers and that is pretty much it. Some better than others. I guess the question is, whenever is it really needed. You do not need it, though there were cases (in the past), where leftovers could cause some issues, like preventing installation of other software or cause crashes. I reinstall Windows twice a year, but I still like to clean everything. It also tells me, how reliable the software is, if it leaves too many leftovers, it is just not right. Some leave absolutely nothing.

Is it worth buying one for the more advanced features ?
That depends, do you need any of those features?

Download Revo Uninstaller Freeware - Free and Full Download - Uninstall software, remove programs, solve uninstall problems

I use forced reinstall a lot, because my setup breaks installations, but using Wise Uninstaller, it is free, there is also Geek Uninstaller.
Though there is one nice features of RevoPro, it can scan for leftovers after restart, which is required by some software, quite handy.

Last edited:

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
It's probably better to limit installs on a production machine and have images (or Rollback RX) in case of changes.
You can try the open-source BCUninstaller, however.

Last edited:

dinosaur07

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 5, 2012
Revo Uninstaller Pro is still a good uninstaller and yes sometimes a good uninstaller helps us to remove stubborn or unremovable software through normal uninstallation. Of course, that it will be better to restore an image but an uninstaller is very handy.
I will avoid some kind of uninstallers that delete important files and renders the Windows unbootable or unstable.
Good uninstallers IMO: Total Uninstall Pro, Uninstall Tool and Revo Uninstall Pro.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Uninstallers do work as advertised. Uninstallers which scan for leftover files and registry keys, after running a programs included installer, such as Revo, IObit, etc. usually won't find all leftovers. They will find things that the programs included uninstaller will miss, but won't find everything. This usually doesn't matter too much. A notable exception is antivirus software, as in some cases leftovers components can still be loaded and can cause issues. After uninstalling antivirus software, I would highly recommend running the removal tool provided by the publisher of the antivirus, to ensure that every single trace is removed.

If you are regularly installing and uninstalling software, then I think using an uninstaller is a good idea. If you rarely install software, then it may not be worth worrying about. In my case, I am constantly installing and uninstalling software, and never do a clean install of Windows, so I find uninstallers very useful.

IObit Uninstaller is excellent and the free version is really all you need. It can do batch uninstalls, where you can select multiple programs to uninstall and it will uninstall them one by one and then scan for leftovers for all the programs that were uninstalled when it's done. Also, unlike Revo, it can scan for leftovers after rebooting.

I also use Comodo Programs Manager. It automatically monitors any files and registry keys created when you install software and then can use this data to remove all traces of a program, after uninstalling it. But, something like IObit or Revo is a bit more straightforward to use.

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Verified
Jun 23, 2017
I used IOBit Uninstaller in the past but the UninstallMonitor process consumed too much disk usage so I bought and switched to Revo Uninstaller Pro Portable. I use it because I hate leftover junk spread across the whole computer after uninstalling some software.

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
I do not see the need for uninstall programs today, Windows already does the service well, and Microsoft does not recommend cleaning the registry because you can make Windows unusable and so on, this leftover thing from unused programs that leave your computer slow and so on, is false, does not interfere with anything, I confirmed this several times with an MVP here from Brazil.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
I do not see the need for uninstall programs today, Windows already does the service well, and Microsoft does not recommend cleaning the registry because you can make Windows unusable and so on
There is a big difference between using a registry cleaner and scanning the registry for leftover traces with an uninstaller. If you install and uninstall a lot of programs, then a third party uninstaller can be very useful.

boredog

Level 9
Verified
Jul 5, 2016
Does CCleaners uninstall tool do anymore then the built in Windows uninstaller?

spaceoctopus

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 13, 2014
1.Revo uninstaller
2.Soft organizer
3.Iobit uninstaller.
I think those 3 are the best on the market.It's good to have a uninstaller, it helps in cases where programs fail to uninstall properly. Windows uninstaller in many cases isn't the best uninstaller.

Reactions: mlnevese

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
Tried wise program uninstaller and I love it:notworthy: removed Soft organizer because wise works better :) no reason to pay for Iobit when there is wise for free of charge.

Last edited:

CMLew

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Oct 30, 2015
90% of my programs are USB-portable. Hence nothing much is uninstallable in my laptop. Only security softwares are installed.
Usually I just use the window uninstall to remove them.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Tried wise program uninstaller and I love it:notworthy: removed Soft organizer because wise works better :) no reason to pay for Iobit when there is wise for free of charge.
When I tested it last year, I found both IObit and Revo to be much better.
Uninstaller Software
At the moment, in my opinion Wise Program Uninstaller is a terrible product. It takes a long time to scan for leftovers, for the programs I uninstalled with it, it found no leftover files, missed registry leftovers that IObit and Revo found, and usually found registry keys not belonging to the program that was just uninstalled. Also, once it froze when scanning for leftovers. Due to the poor performance, and issues with false positives, I can't recommend it, and if you do use it pay close attention to what it wants to remove. I'm sure it will improve over time.

Revo and IObit usually do a comparable job of finding leftovers, but sometimes Revo will find more. IObit is a lot faster at scanning for leftovers than Revo is.
While I still have it installed on my system, I have not tested it again, to see if more recent versions perform better

While I mostly use Comodo Programs Manager. I really like the batch uninstall function in IObit where you can uninstall a number of programs in one go.

Reactions: Deletedmessiah
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.